Dynadot

strategy How many domains in your portfolio?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How many domains in your portfolio?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

votes
    2.1%
  • 1 to 9

votes
    13.0%
  • 10 to 49

votes
    18.3%
  • 50 to 99

votes
    9.3%
  • 100 to 249

votes
    18.5%
  • 250 to 499

votes
    11.8%
  • 500 to 999

votes
    11.1%
  • 1000 to 1999

votes
    8.3%
  • 2000 to 4999

votes
    4.4%
  • 5000 to 9999

votes
    0.7%
  • 10000+

votes
    2.6%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Softbay

Restricted (Market)
Impact
I have 40 domains almost all godaddy closeout and few purchased from namepros, how many domains should be in your portfolio to start a full time domain business and can easily sold monthly 1 domain to enduser.?
I am new in domain so need your suggestion!

Thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Federer we are waiting to know the exact number ;)

•••
Buy domains that make you profit each and every month. EVERY MONTH> Baby checks, big checks, doesnt matter.

While you are waiting for your big sale you need these domains to send you money, each month, This way, you dont anchor your cash , this way your negotiation point is much better, this way, you earn money to cover all the costs, this way you can keep domain for 30 years.

You have 1 domain , great. You have 500 waiting for renewal and not bringing in the cash? No cash flow? Fuck that.

You have 100 domains bringing in 3 dollars/day....thats almost $10K/month?

How many domains I have? Less than 100.

This summer I let 3-5 domains go away from me. I am sure someone bought them at GD auctions. Why I let them go? They didnt send in baby checks. Maybe they will send the checks to the new owner. I didnt find a way to monetise them while I wait for the buyer. The new owner might...who knows.

Shop domains that bring in at least $0.5/day. Thats $15/month, thats $180/year.

You do not want a domain , you need to decide what is the amount of money that .COM sleeper needs to bring in each month.

This will turn your life around.

Find a way to make $1/day (it is easier than you think)

•••
•••
I don't really like that logic. Most domains take time to find the right buyer.
Time is essential when it comes to realizing gains.

Selling a handful as a proof of concept might make sense, but expecting to sell them all for good money and in a timely manner is not that realistic.

The only workaround is to take a much lower price if you want something to sell in a timely manner.

Brad
Yes and that's the way to go ,for this new guy ,keep it small,I have over 1900 domains and sell in the 1k to 4 k level ,but even still I just had to sell a domain that a comparable went for 20k ,for only 2100, because the 16k revolving renewal door that keep on giving ,,,,,,to verisign

•••
We hold 8,000 + co.uk and 3,000 + .com lots of domain acquired and purchased over the years
Buy domains that make you profit each and every month. EVERY MONTH> Baby checks, big checks, doesnt matter.

While you are waiting for your big sale you need these domains to send you money, each month, This way, you dont anchor your cash , this way your negotiation point is much better, this way, you earn money to cover all the costs, this way you can keep domain for 30 years.

You have 1 domain , great. You have 500 waiting for renewal and not bringing in the cash? No cash flow? f*ck that.

You have 100 domains bringing in 3 dollars/day....thats almost $10K/month?

How many domains I have? Less than 100.

This summer I let 3-5 domains go away from me. I am sure someone bought them at GD auctions. Why I let them go? They didnt send in baby checks. Maybe they will send the checks to the new owner. I didnt find a way to monetise them while I wait for the buyer. The new owner might...who knows.

Shop domains that bring in at least $0.5/day. Thats $15/month, thats $180/year.

You do not want a domain , you need to decide what is the amount of money that .COM sleeper needs to bring in each month.

This will turn your life around.

Find a way to make $1/day (it is easier than you think)

Yes very true any domains with good links or good traffic make sure you develop them or park we have a group of names we use for this and this will earn you a nice sum a month to then allow you to purchase more domains rince then repeat....

•••
Aiming for 20-30 within the next 12 months. My Domains are falling like leaves in Autumn right now :xf.eek:

•••
•••
80% is garbage, 10% is very mediocre. The other 10% is a mixture of domains I like and solid names that I think have potential.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Hey all, new around here but not new to domaining. Been buying and selling domains for a while. Usually have around 500 domains at a time.

•••
I don't know how many one can really market if all domains are different fields but many attempt it leaving most domains to manage themselves. I find myself looking at some thinking forgot about some all together.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
I currently have about 350 .com domains. At one point I had almost 1,400. When I had >1,000 I would sell 1.5-1.8% of my domains per year (almost 2 per month).

However, the carrying (renewal) costs were too high, so I lowered down. 95% brandables, a few geos/keywords. Now with ~350 I sell ~2.7% per year (about 1 per month). But of course carrying costs are lower.

Most are hand regged, but a small % are drops/expires. Average sale price since inception is just over $600.

Over the 6 years I've been doing this I basically broke even (although I still have about $20k in sunk costs with my remaining 350 names which I'll need to recoup to continue to break even). I suppose with more quality I could start to see some profit - but with such a small portfolio and avg sales price - it's not going to be much profit. Will whittle down portfolio to ~300 names in 2019.

Sales come from the following places:
58% GoDaddy Premium
15% Direct
10% Sedo
8% GoDaddy Auctions
8% Afternic* (only live the past 18 mos)
2% Brandbucket

•••
I currently have about 350 .com domains. At one point I had almost 1,400. When I had >1,000 I would sell 1.5-1.8% of my domains per year (almost 2 per month).

However, the carrying (renewal) costs were too high, so I lowered down. 95% brandables, a few geos/keywords. Now with ~350 I sell ~2.7% per year (about 1 per month). But of course carrying costs are lower.

Most are hand regged, but a small % are drops/expires. Average sale price since inception is just over $600.

Over the 6 years I've been doing this I basically broke even (although I still have about $20k in sunk costs with my remaining 350 names which I'll need to recoup to continue to break even). I suppose with more quality I could start to see some profit - but with such a small portfolio and avg sales price - it's not going to be much profit. Will whittle down portfolio to ~300 names in 2019.

Sales come from the following places:
58% GoDaddy Premium
15% Direct
10% Sedo
8% GoDaddy Auctions
8% Afternic* (only live the past 18 mos)
2% Brandbucket
as you said you have 95% brandable and that sales come from GoDaddy? I mean GD is better than BrandPa or BrandBuket?

I am quite new in domaining and Mostly have Brandable domains.

•••
as you said you have 95% brandable and that sales come from GoDaddy? I mean GD is better than BrandPa or BrandBuket?

I am quite new in domaining and Mostly have Brandable domains.

Hard to say 'better'. I only have a small % of names listed with Brandbucket. They require exclusivity and so I never moved a lot of names there as I feel that I get more exposure via GD Premium/Sedo/Afternic. That said, BrandBucket has sold some names for me - so they surely are ok. I have no experience with BrandPa.

My advice is to test. Place some names with Brandbucket (heck, place all the ones they'll accept with them) and the rest direct as I identify above. Then see what works best.

•••
Less than 100. All park on Sedo.

•••
•••
Why? I have 60+ domains but most in */NL and few *.PL extensions.

•••
Around 22,220 domains, give or take a few.

•••
60+ at the moment. But aiming for 1000. 6% of the way there. I had 2000+ several years but the GFC destroyed my ad and parking revenue so i bailed till recently. Now things are looking pretty again.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back