IT.COM

discuss How many domains for 1 offer per day?

NameSilo
Watch

Asfas1000

Top Member
Impact
Mission : 1 offer or inquiry per day :xf.grin:

How many domains do you need for that ?

I'm not talking about portfolios with ultra premiums that very very few people have..... I'm talking about the typical domainer portfolio most of us have with a mix of crappy, half-decent and maybe a few decent domains....

So how many domains does one need to get 1 offer or inquiry per day on average ? Thousands !?! Please share your view.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Question already asked and answered on page 2 of this thread.

But I would ask how/where you sell these domains?

Last edited:
•••
I have 1,300 domains and gets approximately 150 inquiries per month.

•••
I have 1,300 domains and gets approximately 150 inquiries per month.

That's amazing ! So with about 1,800 inquiries per year, you are sure to make some sales ;)

How many sales per year if you feel like sharing ?

•••
Stick to a plan, decide what type of domains you want to buy and sell and stick to it. Eventually you will learn which ones work and which ones don't. I have been doing it since 2011 and sell at average 5k per domain. I have a few documents (including references) I send to potential clients and eventually they see the advantage of a decent name. I also keep in touch with people I have sold to and most of them have given me great references saying what a difference the domain made.

So I would say focus less on 1-2 inquiries per day and sell to the clients that do inquire. I will usually wait a week after the inquiry and send a sample logo on a webpage so they can see what they are missing, it works like a charm. Provide well documented supporting materials and just like that the sale happens.

•••
That's amazing ! So with about 1,800 inquiries per year, you are sure to make some sales ;)

How many sales per year if you feel like sharing ?

Each year 1-1.5% sells from entire portfolio.

•••
I have 100 domains and get a whoppingly impressive 0 enquiries a month

•••
I have 100 domains and get a whoppingly impressive 0 enquiries a month
Thanks for sharing! :xf.wink:
Just goes to prove that in this busines, economies of scale are paramount.

•••
Thanks for sharing! :xf.wink:
Just goes to prove that in this busines, economies of scale are paramount.

It is all a numbers name really, its not like my domains are pure junk either as i do own 4 letter .coms and 2 word dictionary domains. However, i have only been in the game a couple of months. I dont hand reg domains anymore, i buy from expiring auctions and closeouts mostly. Sometimes from namepros

•••
It is all a numbers name really, its not like my domains are pure junk either as i do own 4 letter .coms and 2 word dictionary domains. However, i have only been in the game a couple of months. I dont hand reg domains anymore, i buy from expiring auctions and closeouts mostly. Sometimes from namepros
I find that hard to believe considering 4l.com's are liquid. Liquid domains get numerous inquiries although most are lowballers. I sold my 4l.com's but when I had them I was spammed with offers non stop. Maybe things have changed.

IMO it's better to have a small portfolio of quality names than a large portfolio of mediocre ones.

•••
For 1 offer per day, like said in previous messages the most important parameter is only 1 quality.
The second parameter is: Most of your domain must to be .com (preferably 1 word/LLL).
My stats are: 200 names, 2/3 inquiries per year, 1 sale per year.

•••
Stick to a plan, decide what type of domains you want to buy and sell and stick to it. Eventually you will learn which ones work and which ones don't. I have been doing it since 2011 and sell at average 5k per domain. I have a few documents (including references) I send to potential clients and eventually they see the advantage of a decent name. I also keep in touch with people I have sold to and most of them have given me great references saying what a difference the domain made.

So I would say focus less on 1-2 inquiries per day and sell to the clients that do inquire. I will usually wait a week after the inquiry and send a sample logo on a webpage so they can see what they are missing, it works like a charm. Provide well documented supporting materials and just like that the sale happens.

What part of Canadaare you from. im in the GTA area

•••
•••
send a sample logo

I will admit there is a severe lack of knowledge on my part about this...would you share a site or program you may use to help come up with your logos?

That is a fantastic idea to send them a sample page.

•••
I will admit there is a severe lack of knowledge on my part about this...would you share a site or program you may use to help come up with your logos?

That is a fantastic idea to send them a sample page.

Yes most people think a sale just happens, but in reality it is a sale (as in selling). Look at it like a car salesman, if someone comes in the showroom you have to establish a relationship and work the client. A good car salesman knows how to do that and will close the sale.

I know when I inquire on a domain I inevitably get quoted 75k which in most cases is unreasonable. Then I never hear from them again. Instead I develop dialogue, and show clients previous similar sales I have had. I also ry to keep my prices in the 5k range unless they are one of my showcase domains.

Eventually I gather information on the client and after a few weeks to a month I will toss up a webpage with a logo design similar to my MapleDots design. Something that speaks to the client and evokes an emotion. Sure enough a few days to weeks later I have a sale.

If it is a 5k sale I make the logo in house but if its a bigger sale I feel the client out and offer numerous logos which I usually have the guys at 99designs make for me. They offer a number of designs for one price and then you pick the winner. I will usually send the logos to the potential client and ask him which one he likes. It's a small investment on a big return and it closes the sale.

So basically what I am saying is domainers have got to start selling and focusing less on just quoting a price and waiting. If I did that I would never sell a domain. You have to justify why a Mercedes-Benz is better than a Kia. Start by showing off the shiny Mercedes-Benz logo and the features compared to a cheaper car.

And yes I used to be a car salesman years back, but I was a damn good one.

•••
domainers have got to start selling and focusing less on just quoting a price and waiting

So true! I know in the beginning that is what I did...the really good names back then were easier to pick/find...now it about seeking a buyer.

Thank you for the response.

•••
@MapleDots - I like my Kia. I wouldn't swap it for a Mercedes :)

•••
•••
Yes most people think a sale just happens, but in reality it is a sale (as in selling). Look at it like a car salesman, if someone comes in the showroom you have to establish a relationship and work the client. A good car salesman knows how to do that and will close the sale.

I know when I inquire on a domain I inevitably get quoted 75k which in most cases is unreasonable. Then I never hear from them again. Instead I develop dialogue, and show clients previous similar sales I have had. I also ry to keep my prices in the 5k range unless they are one of my showcase domains.

Eventually I gather information on the client and after a few weeks to a month I will toss up a webpage with a logo design similar to my MapleDots design. Something that speaks to the client and evokes an emotion. Sure enough a few days to weeks later I have a sale.

If it is a 5k sale I make the logo in house but if its a bigger sale I feel the client out and offer numerous logos which I usually have the guys at 99designs make for me. They offer a number of designs for one price and then you pick the winner. I will usually send the logos to the potential client and ask him which one he likes. It's a small investment on a big return and it closes the sale.

So basically what I am saying is domainers have got to start selling and focusing less on just quoting a price and waiting. If I did that I would never sell a domain. You have to justify why a Mercedes-Benz is better than a Kia. Start by showing off the shiny Mercedes-Benz logo and the features compared to a cheaper car.

And yes I used to be a car salesman years back, but I was a damn good one.

Spectacular advice. Thank you for sharing this...

•••
Similar question but my answer is roughly the same:

How long does it take to sell domains?

It varies widely based on the quality of your domains and your price expectations (how much you want for your domains). As an average spread of quality and expectations, it takes roughly 2-10 years but eager sellers could see an average of 5 years.

In simplified math, that means you need about 5*365 = 1,825 good domains (and be willing to sell at average prices in the range $200-2,500) to sell one domain per day.

Limitations and delimitations:
  • It doesn't work if you have 825 good domains and 1,000 below average domains.
  • Domains that don't have broad appeal take longer to sell and may never sell.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back