IT.COM

discuss How many domains for 1 offer per day?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Asfas1000

Top Member
Impact
Mission : 1 offer or inquiry per day :xf.grin:

How many domains do you need for that ?

I'm not talking about portfolios with ultra premiums that very very few people have..... I'm talking about the typical domainer portfolio most of us have with a mix of crappy, half-decent and maybe a few decent domains....

So how many domains does one need to get 1 offer or inquiry per day on average ? Thousands !?! Please share your view.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i own approx. 1,400 names.

i get 1-3 inquiries/offers per day...some days none...some days 4-5 depends on day of week....so on average 30-90 per month. i get 1-4 sales per month on those offers/inquiries.

as you "advance" you buy less and less names on these forums.
would be thankful to know your average sales price ? $xx, $xxx or $xxxx?

•••
my average price of sale for 2016 was $2,600.

•••
3k plus need for atleast 1 offer obtain.

•••
I'd say you need around 10000 minimum. And only if they are ALL decent enough, which probably isn't the case. Easily an offer a day if you have 50000 or more.

•••
Before you expand your portfolio, remember that renewals will eat your profit in this business.

Here are the approximate annual renewal costs for a few portfolio sizes mentioned above (assuming the best Godaddy dotcom rate of $8.47)

1000 domains $8470
10000 domains $84700

Now assuming you have the 2.5% sell thru rate mentioned above, you will sell the following number of domains each year:

With 1000 domains you will sell about 25 domains
With 10000 domains you will sell about 250 domains

Just to break even, the average domain selling price needs to be $8470/25 = $338!
Of course if you have other expenses, the number will higher.

•••
Before you expand your portfolio, remember that renewals will eat your profit in this business.

Here are the approximate annual renewal costs for a few portfolio sizes mentioned above (assuming the best Godaddy dotcom rate of $8.47)

1000 domains $8470
10000 domains $84700

Now assuming you have the 2.5% sell thru rate mentioned above, you will sell the following number of domains each year:

With 1000 domains you will sell about 25 domains
With 10000 domains you will sell about 250 domains

Just to break even, the average domain selling price needs to be $8470/25 = $338!
Of course if you have other expenses, the number will higher.

The $338 average selling price is achieveable, but the 2,5% sell through rate sounds like a toughie !

•••
Ok, am not at that level, but from this thread of people sharing own experience I learn -
i own approx. 1,400 names.

i get 1-4 sales per month on those offers/inquiries.

my average price of sale for 2016 was $2,600.
So 1-4 sales the average range is $5,200 to $6,500 per month
Per year X 12 months that's = $62,400 to $78K averaged out

1000 domains $8470
For 1,400 domains -> Renewals 1,400 X 8.47 = $11,858
Yearly Revenue - Less Renewals = $50,543 to $66,142

But to get that, (even with 1,400 size name portfolio) will have to negotiate well to ensure 2,600 is average sale price per domain. I don't usually get $2,600 as a average sale.

Thank you @has2hands You have given me a lot to think about.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Just to throw some numbers out there:
3,000-4,000 domains if the portfolio is mostly aftermarket acquired
8,000-10,000 domains if the portfolio is mostly hand reg

•••
You pretty much hit the nail on the head...great math!

I believe and am learning it is a game of scale...for the average domain investor. My goal is 2,000-3,000 names, at which point it becomes a full-time job and I double my sales.

But, I also reinvest my sales in better names...I don't sit on the sidelines.

I also turn down offers at the same scale...so i could easily double income if I accept $700-$800 offers.

I also don't out bound emails to potential customers...I believe you lose "hand" or leverage....so all inquiries are inbound. I have tried and tried outbound but it is very tough sledding.

I generate 2-3-4 sales per year thru Afternic/Sedo.

I mentioned to my wife yesterday that we are living thru and witnessing the death of the written word (papers and newspapers); watching the slow death of stores; driverless vehicles, etc etc. So, with all this upheaval, what did we do? We purchased domains!

At this time in history, we are investing in quality domains....really for retirement. So, I have a 5-10-15 year window of holding names. I sell when the price is fair...which is $,$$$.

When I deal with business owners, they can take it or leave it...I know others want the name....based on visitors and offers. So, I am not desperate to sell....although I am :)

But, I am not selling names of mittens or socks....low value products. I realize that business owners come in all sizes and someone selling mittens won't buy a name for $5,000...so I stay away from those mitten/sock names. That is my choice and nothing wrong with a smaller profit. If I lived in another country that smaller profit could change my lifestyle....so its all good.

I found out hand registering names takes years and years to mature and you need a level of committment to pay the fees and wait. This is how we all start out, I get it and did the same thing. I was happy to sell one or two names a year at one point...this is the learning curve and is valuable.

My last word of advice is very simple...who will buy my domain name? Who is going to buy it? I use to think that if I purchased a name on a forum for $17 and it is worth $200 that I made money, no matter what the name is. But that is pure bullshit.

Who is going to buy this domain name ?

Good luck to all.

Ok, am not at that level, but from this thread of people sharing own experience I learn -

So 1-4 sales the average range is $5,200 to $6,500 per month
Per year X 12 months that's = $62,400 to $78K averaged out

For 1,400 domains -> Renewals 1,400 X 8.47 = $11,858
Yearly Revenue - Less Renewals = $50,543 to $66,142

But to get that, (even with 1,400 size name portfolio) will have to negotiate well to ensure 2,600 is average sale price per domain. I don't usually get $2,600 as a average sale.

Thank you @has2hands You have given me a lot to think about.

•••
Thanks for the info has2hands - think that's great advice for anyone looking to build a portfolio. Especially the advice to stay away from very low value product domains. Makes sense - just a couple of high value product/services sales would probably pay for the domain - no wonder you're getting such a good return from your portfolio.

•••
I got between 300-400 and get an offer or inquiry approximately once in 3 days or so... With a few more names, might be able to improve the frequency

•••
Looks like the next question will need to be "How far is an inquiry from a sale ?!?!?" :)

•••
I got between 300-400 and get an offer or inquiry approximately once in 3 days or so... With a few more names, might be able to improve the frequency
Interesting and impressive! (y)

Where do the inquiries originate from? Your domain landing pages or Sedo, Afternic or other listings?

•••
Where do the inquiries originate from? Your domain landing pages or Sedo, Afternic or other listings?

All from landers or whois! I recently moved all my domains to use Bodis' enquiry forms (Can't justify monthly payments to Efty yet). The ones that have converted have all been the lander enquiry form. I've had a few couple of sales via AF and Dynadot marketplace each. One through GD Auction listing. None through Uni or Sedo (For me, Sedo is by far the worst performing).

•••
All from landers or whois! I recently moved all my domains to use Bodis' enquiry forms (Can't justify monthly payments to Efty yet). The ones that have converted have all been the lander enquiry form. I've had a few couple of sales via AF and Dynadot marketplace each. One through GD Auction listing. None through Uni or Sedo (For me, Sedo is by far the worst performing).
I have just around one inquiry per week and 2-3 end users sales per month and still I think that the 70$ per year it's that much. At one inquiry per three days, just one xxx sale should cover expenses for efty for one year and a lot of paypal fees.

•••
All depends on the quality of the domains.

Last edited:
•••
Most of my landing pages have the option to buy or lease...I eliminated the 'contact' link as there were dozens and dozens of 'inquiries' per day...most, if not all, a waste of time. Normally I get one legitimate offer every month per 100 names.

•••
Mission : 1 offer or inquiry per day :xf.grin:

How many domains do you need for that ?

I'm not talking about portfolios with ultra premiums that very very few people have..... I'm talking about the typical domainer portfolio most of us have with a mix of crappy, half-decent and maybe a few decent domains....

So how many domains does one need to get 1 offer or inquiry per day on average ? Thousands !?! Please share your view.

•••
I'd agree, no. of inquiries would be directly proportional to quality of portfolio.

•••
depends on the quality I have 2500 total according to afternic average 1800-2700 each using their new tools , get about 5 inquirys a week and a lot of that is from cheap bastards,you sort of know who will be a buyer as soon as you get the email ,just not the price

•••
I have multiple domains 4-5 that I get inquiries and offers daily, so really this post doesn't give you many facts...
The question to ask here is what percentage of domains sell from a portfolio and what's the average price?
1% sell rate with an average of $2000+ sale is considered fantastic
A lot of people will have a bigger sale rate but a much lower average sale price.....
I would rather stay in the 1% bracket, so YES most of my INBOUND sales fall into the 1% @2k+ average sale price.
I do outbound on the daily and sell 20-30% of my mediocre names in the $200-$700 range....

•••
if you have good names they will find you.

If I had a dollar for every time someone here said this I would be rich.

I am sure I have even said this myself at some time here.

I think this should be modified a bit.

I should be "If you have a name someone wants they will find you"

What is the difference?

After doing this for a long time and seeing the kinds of names that sell it is sometimes hard to define a "good" name.

Sure, there are the obviously good names that we all can recognize.

These are the ones we see at the drop and know immediately, in our gut, they are "good"

But we all see names that sell and wonder why they did.

The answer is this - that particular name appealed to that particular buyer.

Was it a good name?

It was to that buyer!

So, if you have a name someone wants, they will find you.

If they want that name, then it is a "good" name.

After all, aren't "good" names just names that sell and make us money?

Good names are names that make a us a profit.

Right?

That's it.

Forget all the other BS.

•••
If I had a dollar for every time someone here said this I would be rich.

I am sure I have even said this myself at some time here.

I think this should be modified a bit.

I should be "If you have a name someone wants they will find you"

What is the difference?

After doing this for a long time and seeing the kinds of names that sell it is sometimes hard to define a "good" name.

Sure, there are the obviously good names that we all can recognize.

These are the ones we see at the drop and know immediately, in our gut, they are "good"

But we all see names that sell and wonder why they did.

The answer is this - that particular name appealed to that particular buyer.

Was it a good name?

It was to that buyer!

So, if you have a name someone wants, they will find you.

If they want that name, then it is a "good" name.

After all, aren't "good" names just names that sell and make us money?

Good names are names that make a us a profit.

Right?

That's it.

Forget all the other BS.

Totally agree.

There was a saying , "if you build it, they will come". But, in the age of Internet, it's no longer relevant.

If you have a good product, or domain, you still need marketing. That's how you make its benefits more obvious and remind someone that they want it.

If good stuff was selling anyways, there would be little need for advertising !

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back