NameSilo

discuss How many actually like gTLDs or just want to make money?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Why do you care about the new gTLDs?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Profit

votes
    21.0%
  • Potential

votes
    21.8%
  • Right of dot needs to change

votes
    10.1%
  • I don't care

votes
    42.9%
  • Other (please explain)

votes
    4.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

enterscope

Domain InvestmentsTop Member
Impact
I remember when I first got into domaining I would jump on every new extension thinking I would get rich, then when renewals came around I was like "ok bye bye". Maybe I could have made a fortune on some of them, but ultimately it seems like the consensus is Dot Com is King.

Don't get me wrong, I see huge potential in a shift from .com to .anything with many niche markets being adequately contained in one space. However, .com is just so engrained in everyone's brains I think the nostalgic aspect of that will be hard to change.

My personal opinion is that the new gTLDs will be too confusing in advertising and people won't necessarily know that whatever.anything is a website. Then gTLD campaigns will have to start adding www.whatever.anything which will defeat the whole purpose and people will be like "aww heck, .com".

6a00d834522c0b69e2019b02746dc7970c-pi

Do you actually think gTLDs will be standard or do you love .COM too much?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
As JB knows, there's no comparison. In Night.Club, the domain is Night. The brand, if any, is Night. Could it be a hack? Maybe, but IMO it's a bad one. Nightclub.com is the hands-down winner. To be honest, in that niche, the actual club name would be the preferred domain to own and use.

And this, by The New Guy.

Come on, just watch 95% of the .CLUB sales and you will see that it's the combination that matters.

These combinations of keyword PLUS TLD works perfectly well in the Google's SERP as well!

•••
Maybe today. In two-three years? I'm not so sure.

One thing is certain, though. Time will tell.

haha, no. You can't tell me one good reason why a .com owner would forward the domain. It works just fine.

•••
What I bolded. If nightclub.com bought night.club and forwarded the .com to that new extension, they would be idiots.

Why?

•••
•••

If don't know why, your pocketbook will be doomed as well.

Yes, time will tell.

How about you tell me, give me one reason why a company would do that. Or Alice.

Why would a company on an already working .com forward the domain. To confuse customers? To fix what isn't broken? I gave the reason above, they would be idiots.

•••
And you've sold how many, list your sales.

Try my example above. Get a list of the biggest new gtld sales to date. Then figure out who sold them and when they were purchased. A pattern will develop. Most of these are niche extensions with a low number of keywords that make great matches. They are registry reserved, snapped up early or usually at the latest Day 1. If it's still available after that, there is probably a reason why. Not saying that you can't get sales from them but just the obvious, the keywords that make the most sense, get snapped up early.

"There's lots of supply now."

With that, again, that was a point you guys bring up, but it's actually against you. There is so much supply, that people that want to go that route have many more options. It's a point why these are a bad investment for domainers.

My interest isn't in hoarding domains to leech off of those with creative ideas.
My idea is to create without having to pay a lot of money to those who hoard so they can leech off of creative ideas.

new gTLDs are great for me, but they suck for you, because the value of the portfolio of domains you are hoarding is going to plummet.

That's why I like the new gTLDs. Saves me money.

•••
My interest isn't in hoarding domains to leech off of those with creative ideas.
My idea is to create without having to pay a lot of money to those who hoard so they can leech off of creative ideas.

new gTLDs are great for me, but they suck for you, because the value of the portfolio of domains you are hoarding is going to plummet.

That's why I like the gTLDs. Saves me money.

hahaha, yes, my .com are going to plummet because the letters x y and z come at the end of the alphabet.

•••
.xyz isn't the only new gTLD.

•••
•••
If don't know why, your pocketbook will be doomed as well.

How about you tell me, give me one reason why a company would do that. Or Alice.

Why would a company on an already working .com forward the domain. To confuse customers? To fix what isn't broken? I gave the reason above, they would be idiots.

I said MAYBE in 2-3 years. Do you think our generation gonna be here forever? Things changes. Most large corporations will keep the .COM for a long time, but we are already seeing some small changes.

.COM is the domain king and will probably be so for a long time ahead, but new generations are coming. With new views, new values and new thoughts.

•••
Let me give an example of what I am talking about. Just a few days ago this happened to me, I had been considering domaining myself, but this was a wake up call reminding me why I didn't want to.

I have been registering a lot of keyword.gtld - with specific keyword.

I looked at keywordBlog.com in case I can't get keyword.blog - it was owned by a domainer who was selling it for $1300. 5 years of archive.org showed that had been the price.

This particular domainer watches new registrations. Unaware that I had seen his $1300 price tag, he e-mailed me from whois info and told me he had noticed I had been registering a lot of keyword domains.

Would I like to buy keywordBlog.com? It is $2400 but on sale right now for $2300.

So basically, a domain for sale for $1300 (okay $1298 actually) for five years unsold - and he jacks the price up $1000 and pretends he is doing me a favor by offering $100 off.

That's why I don't like to buy domains from domainers, that kind of thing is extremely common, and that kind of thing is why the new gTLDs are a godsend - we don't have to put up with it anymore.

•••
Also, many larger corporations will start using their own TLDs. That will make a difference as well.

•••
Ouch my second domain I got a call and offered 20k for it within 5 days of hand registering it, this was back in 2009 so if domainers were so smart then why would they want a hand reg that my intellect thought of and not theirs and offer premium money? @Alice Wonder Miscreations I agree with the not hoarding domains comment you made, as I mentioned I registered a gTLD that fortunately for me works perfectly with a dot com allowing me to be creative and kudos to mint.com (intuit?) for not being so greedy in sunrise so as to snap it up. BTW I have a record collector site too. Man I sound old. Mint = perfect condition :)

•••
And no for the record I did not sell that domain for 20k I still have it and it made me 10 times that amount within 2 years. Websites/content/users/traffic make the domain valuable not the domain name on its own, as you know try to buy ebay or amazon (as examples) and they are worth far more than the highest selling .com (domains only) combined right? Example If everyone stopped using yahoo or google their stocks would plummet and they would go bust. Established sites and an aged domain name are two entirely different things. (I should have added this earlier). :) Also an established domain would not ever want to limit their business plan/ideas as that is called putting all your eggs in one basket and is not good business sense. Good posts today on here thanks guys and good to see people not cussing at each other :-D

•••
Come on, just watch 95% of the .CLUB sales and you will see that it's the combination that matters.

These combinations of keyword PLUS TLD works perfectly well in the Google's SERP as well!

I really like some of the possibilities for domain hacks with the new gTLDs, but even then it reaches a point where wine.club will just acquire wineclub.com don't you think? Just like Del.icio.us eventually becoming Delicious.com

•••
Yes, but personally I think this is beyond hacks. "Traditional" hacks is (as we all know) letters combined with ccTLDs (most often) that forms a word. New "properly used" gTLDs are word + word = keyword or phrase.

And no, I don't think that wine.club will acquire and change their name to wineclub.com. However, I can not read their minds. I might be wrong...

•••
Hello,

I like the good ones and don't like the bad ones.

"Cruise dot vacations" is a good one.

"Cruise dot coffee" is a bad one.

I want to make money too. Food on the table is so nice.

Exactly. It is all about the phrase that domain name + extension makes.

Good word + relevant (to the word) extension = potential profit.
Good word plus extension that doesn't fit with it = total waste of money.

•••
Just wait till they come out with new Prefixes to replace WWW that you can buy for $1 Million.

•••
•••
Demands lead the market. If a gTLD is not liked by the market, it will die eventually. So there is a reason they exist.

•••
Hello,

I like the good ones and don't like the bad ones.

"Cruise dot vacations" is a good one.

"Cruise dot coffee" is a bad one.

I want to make money too. Food on the table is so nice.
Ya the perfect combination matters.

•••
There is some consensus on the fact that some domains in new extensions make sense when the left and the right of the dot form a meaningful combination. They are like domain hacks actually.

But that also means that the pool of viable domains is limited.
That puts a cap on the number of registrations.
And of course the best domains are already taken usually. By the registry.

New TLDs tend to be niche TLDs, not all purpose extensions.
That's why demand will probably remain limited, notwithstanding the huge amount of strings available. The supply is just disproportionate in view of the demand and actual use.

•••
I like 'em nowadays. Those nice two word combos, book.club, city.guide, hotel.reviews, and so forth, just makes sense. Looks good, too. Actually, now that I typed the aforementioned in, I remembered that I like max 5-letter nGTLDs and anything beyond that just feels a little clumsy.

And I'm already seeing them being utilized in various niches. And in search results, in contrary to what I assumed, the balanced ones look very professional and inviting to my eyes.

So I like them and see pretty much zero obstacles for them to become widespread.

•••
i think that in theory nightclub.co is at least as good as nightclub.com or even better.

In practice of course it is not and never will be. The same could be said about night.club.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back