Dynadot

discuss How many actually like gTLDs or just want to make money?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Why do you care about the new gTLDs?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Profit

votes
    21.0%
  • Potential

votes
    21.8%
  • Right of dot needs to change

votes
    10.1%
  • I don't care

votes
    42.9%
  • Other (please explain)

votes
    4.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

enterscope

Domain InvestmentsTop Member
Impact
I remember when I first got into domaining I would jump on every new extension thinking I would get rich, then when renewals came around I was like "ok bye bye". Maybe I could have made a fortune on some of them, but ultimately it seems like the consensus is Dot Com is King.

Don't get me wrong, I see huge potential in a shift from .com to .anything with many niche markets being adequately contained in one space. However, .com is just so engrained in everyone's brains I think the nostalgic aspect of that will be hard to change.

My personal opinion is that the new gTLDs will be too confusing in advertising and people won't necessarily know that whatever.anything is a website. Then gTLD campaigns will have to start adding www.whatever.anything which will defeat the whole purpose and people will be like "aww heck, .com".

6a00d834522c0b69e2019b02746dc7970c-pi

Do you actually think gTLDs will be standard or do you love .COM too much?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have mixed feelings about the new gTLD's.
Marketing messages should be simple, so do people know that "something.anything" is a doman name? Probably not now.
However, I've already seen end users use the new TLD's and I don't think in many cases that there is any confusion about them. We'll have to wait to see how they will be received.

The reality is that it doesn't really matter what our opinions are at this time. The new TLD's are here to stay... so in the long run, it seems inevitable that they will be generally accepted and recognized. Essentially I can see a time not too far from now that "word DOT word" will generally become known as a domain name.

•••
the question, really is the answer to the premise

as domainers want to make money and gtld's are the new "high risk investments" available.

:)

imo....

•••
New extensions are the solution.

Now we have to find the problem.

•••
I like some of the new gTLDs.

The .com namespace is used up. A lot of the good names are not being developed but that doesn't matter, they are not accessible if you do not have a large budget for domain names.

Alternates to .com provide good names in namespaces that are not used up, and I predict that will result in a correction of the .com aftermarket, resulting in a drop in value of registered but unused .com names, allowing some of them to actually be procured by those who will actually develop them.

Increasing demand as the Internet grows with a reducing supply of good domain names, new namespaces are needed to correct that and that is what the new gTLDs are doing.

•••
I love them, but until I can clearly see how one can make money out of them, I don't buy any.

Some people in the know may already be investing in them, sadly I lack this knowledge. I hope I won't be awfully late if something good happens :xf.grin:

•••
Hello,

I like the good ones and don't like the bad ones.

"Cruise dot vacations" is a good one.

"Cruise dot coffee" is a bad one.

I want to make money too. Food on the table is so nice.

•••
I'm not overly bothered about them at the moment, because .com is still usually better. However, some of them are valuable, so I'm keeping an open mind.

•••
I'm not overly bothered about them at the moment, because .com is still usually better. However, some of them are valuable, so I'm keeping an open mind.

Apart from current value, is "Nightclub.com" really better than "Night.club"?

•••
I don't care for them as an investor or as a developer. I've owned sites with a decent amount of traffic, I've seen how a large number of people navigate while browsing and I understand that even in 2015, a good number of people aren't that bright when it comes to internet navigation and need to have their hand held through everything (why do you think Google overtook Yahoo? 1 Search bar on a white page, a logo, a couple tabs, nothing else)

Putting my domaining hat to the side, as a webmaster or a business owner, I'm going to want to make things as simple and straightforward as possible and I wouldn't risk spending good money on a hack only to have the possibility of my advertising dollars being wasted via traffic leaks (del.icio.us anyone?) I'd love to get in touch with CoffeeClub.com and see if they've had spikes in traffic lately. I take these things into consideration, while a large majority of others may not, but hey, good luck to them.

As a domainer gTLDs don't concern me one bit as I'm seeing things unfold. They're value is in hacks and the value is limited at that and although 2 and 3 keyword combination alternatives are practically infinite across thousands of extensions, 1 keyword, sensible domain hacks are not. And these are the only things that have sold here and there.

Sadly for a lot of people, the gTLD holders/registrars are making money off speculators and "noobs" with a dollar and a dream in this industry and believe me, they counted on that as being a major part of the business they'd be doing before they even launched. As soon as people see a 5 or 6 figure sale on a gTLD extension, they run out and start buying things up afraid that they're missing the boat, yet they disregard the circumstances behind the acquisitions... whether it be a wealthy end user who owns the .COM version, a speculator with money throwing the dice, or a startup who is testing waters by throwing 4 figures at something instead of 5 and can or cannot afford take the loss)

If history repeats itself like many people believe, let's take a look at history:

Sales:
Music.mobi - $616,000 (2007)
Games.mobi - $401,500 (2007)
Flowers.mobi - $200,000 (2006)

Since then there's been 2 decent mobi sales reported in the past 5 years, and that's before there were 1000s of other alternatives.

There will always be people/companies/businesses that will do things out of the norm, there will always be high dollar acquisitions reported throughout the years on gTLDs, with thousands of them floating around it's inevitable, but do you develop your business or make investments on consistency or flukes? If it's the second one, buy a roll of scratch off tickets and you may be better off.

Now I know there are people behind the scenes making money with them but these are salespeople and talented ones at that. Gifted salespeople can sell anyone anything. But if you're new to domaining, stay away, stay far away.

Last edited:
•••
Lot of wishful thinking with some who buy these. As if somehow .com is going to take a dip and then thinking .com is actual competition, when it's on it's own level. The real competition are alternates to .com, not .com itself, even tho the people trying to sell them want you to think that.

Also, what I mentioned before these even came out. I wondered how many sales will be from day 2 on out. The ones most here are probably buying, the leftovers. Most sales, decent sales, are registry sales or domains bought on Day 1 general availability or earlier. I think if somebody charted the sales and what day they were bought on, it would be eye opening for a lot of people. I have a pretty good idea how that chart would look like.

Last edited:
•••
•••

Everyone is aware of .COM, which makes it "better", but .COM itself just makes the domain name longer.

As today, the ten most valuable .COM domains are probably worth more than all the ngTLD industry together?! Personally I don't think that any of the new generic gTLDs will come even close to .COM, or to be honest, I don't think that any of these will even gain 5% of the popularity and value that .COM has.

However, I STRONGLY believe in the niched new gTLDs where the keyword + TLD makes perfect sense.

Like Golf.club, Rose.garden or Craft.beer.

.MOBI or .BIZ lack this potential.

•••
Each to their own here is my thinking.
I think some are garbage some are not. I have a dot com (still under development) that is also an inc. I wanted to add to it and there is a massive upside to a few of the new extensions I actually grabbed a domain that has trademark in the dot com but it will not be an issue as it is not the same thing at all. Remember what I said about taxonomy the net is going to change most (if you like domain brokers) fell into the keyword pyramid sales trap and that is what it is unfortunately, and, sometimes it takes people multiple and repeated failures to see the light. I think Symantec saw early warning signs in their domains that is why they ditched early to the leader of the pack early on .... However slow and steady wins the race quality over quantity each and every time. Wouldn't you agree? I bet this time a year or two from now the real winners will start to emerge . I also think the fact some have slightly higher pricing will push out a lot of hey I want to get rich quick mentality people there's no such thing if you want a domain to be worth money everyone knows the real way to achieve this is to develop a winner into a money making winner then sell ;)

•••
Perfect match between left and right side is a must.

I've seen a lot of people waste money on "I got a single english word!" when that word makes no sense with the extension. But then something like eat.club happens.

The problem is awareness - for end users that these extensions actually exist, then for the public that pizza.space is a web site and not a typo.

If that can be solved then there is money to be made - but my bet is more will be lost before then.

•••
Interesting look at the same thing I looked at not 24 hours ago regards nightclub.com / night.club
if you own the .com it makes a great deal of sense to forward the domain to the new extension doesn't it? after all it is shorter and people today want everything fast, faster and immediate satisfaction, a new pc is too slow get a new one etc.etc. lol.

•••
Interesting look at the same thing I looked at not 24 hours ago regards nightclub.com / night.club
if you own the .com it makes a great deal of sense to forward the domain to the new extension doesn't it? after all it is shorter and people today want everything fast, faster and immediate satisfaction, a new pc is too slow get a new one etc.etc. lol.

It's lunacy.

•••
@JB Lions the instant gratification or you disagree with my sentiment?

•••
@JB Lions the instant gratification or you disagree with my sentiment?

What I bolded. If nightclub.com bought night.club and forwarded the .com to that new extension, they would be idiots.

•••
Lot of wishful thinking with some who buy these. As if somehow .com is going to take a dip and then thinking .com is actual competition, when it's on it's own level. The real competition are alternates to .com, not .com itself, even tho the people trying to sell them want you to think that.

Also, what I mentioned before these even came out. I wondered how many sales will be from day 2 on out. The ones most here are probably buying, the leftovers. Most sales, decent sales, are registry sales or domains bought on Day 1 general availability or earlier. I think if somebody charted the sales and what day they were bought on, it would be eye opening for a lot of people. I have a pretty good idea how that chart would look like.

I've gotten many single word domains on the ngTLDs quite some time after general availability that were not premium.

Here is the current problem as I see it - a domainer will spend $1000 to register 100 related domain names (may get them cheaper as bulk). If just one turns into a 10k sale within a couple years that domainer made a nice profit.

Meanwhile that is 100 names that aren't available for general registration.

It benefits the domainer to have all 100 because that makes it harder for people wanting to build something to find a domain name that is good, increasing the odds of a large markup sale.

The domainers thus benefit from sitting on these domains and really have no motive to lower their prices when they don't sell. No warehouse costs, they don't become obsolete to newer models, etc.

That's where the ngTLDs come in. They create alternatives to bring a truly free market back, the domainers are no longer in control of the supply. There's lots of supply now.

•••
I've gotten many single word domains on the ngTLDs quite some time after general availability that were not premium.

And you've sold how many, list your sales.

Try my example above. Get a list of the biggest new gtld sales to date. Then figure out who sold them and when they were purchased. A pattern will develop. Most of these are niche extensions with a low number of keywords that make great matches. They are registry reserved, snapped up early or usually at the latest Day 1. If it's still available after that, there is probably a reason why. Not saying that you can't get sales from them but just the obvious, the keywords that make the most sense, get snapped up early.

"There's lots of supply now."

With that, again, that was a point you guys bring up, but it's actually against you. There is so much supply, that people that want to go that route have many more options. It's a point why these are a bad investment for domainers.

Last edited:
•••
It's lunacy.
As JB knows, there's no comparison. In Night.Club, the domain is Night. The brand, if any, is Night. Could it be a hack? Maybe, but IMO it's a bad one. Nightclub.com is the hands-down winner. To be honest, in that niche, the actual club name would be the preferred domain to own and use.
Perfect match between left and right side is a must.
And this, by The New Guy.

•••
Hmm I am not here to argue but for arguments sake here is an example.
msn dot com forwards all traffic to a new bing dot com did msn lose anything or did it (m i c r o s o f t )
make $1,000,000,000.00 in 24 hours because of that move it was a 3 character forwarding to a 4 character wasn't it?

•••
Hmm I am not here to argue but for arguments sake here is an example.
msn dot com forwards all traffic to a new bing dot com did msn lose anything or did it (m i c r o s o f t )
make $1,000,000,000.00 in 24 hours because of that move it was a 3 character forwarding to a 4 character wasn't it?

Your example is .com to .com, not .com to .new gtld

And I guess you mean if you do a search from MSN.com, it goes to Bing search. Which has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

•••
Lol ok another way to look at this, these businesses have shareholders. They are never satisfied.
The big boys in domains took their money knowing tech trends (behind the scenes) they start up for 185k a new extension they then take that money from new extensions and buy up all remaining (decent) dot coms. Now what is left but dregs of the barrel? Hence taxonomy the net is about to change because it is dated. Some new extensions will prevail while others will fail.
So if you want to make money why not get a bunch of domainers to fork over 185k for application fee starting a test business and laugh all the way to the bank, because that is what these companies do to what looks like most people or as you say noobs right. If I am wrong then why are these new extensions here?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back