Dynadot

How many 4 letter .com DNs are possible??? Any Mathletes in the house?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

GreenGambler

I Collect SilverVIP Member
Impact
OK I'm not as great at mathamatical equations as I used to be and I thought I might just be quicker to ask then refresh my arithmatic.

How many possible 4 letter .com cominations are there useing only the 26 letter alphabet, no #'s or -'s.

Anybody know the answer?

Just Curious.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For all LLLL.com domains:

26 * 26 * 26 * 26 = 456976

26 possible letters in the first character (A-Z)
26 possible letters in the second character (A-Z)
26 possible letters in the third character (A-Z)
26 possible letters in the fourth character (A-Z)
Multiply them and get 456,976. :)

For all possible 4-character domains (can't start or end with hyphen):

36 * 37 * 37 * 36 = 1774224

36 possible letters in the first character (A-Z, 0-9)
37 possible letters in the second character (A-Z, 0-9, hyphen)
37 possible letters in the third character (A-Z, 0-9, hyphen)
36 possible letters in the fourth character (A-Z, 0-9)
Multiply them and get 1,774,224. :)

That should be accurate, hopefully this will help. :)

•••
Yeah....

You showed you work and everything!

Thanks for the answer Etab..... I'm adding rep:)

So if there are only 456,976 possible 4 letter DN's w/o hypens or #'s then I would have to say they will all be reg'd within the next 10 years. Would you agree?

I mean there are what, 7 billion humans? And alot of the more populated poorer countries are becoming more and more internet savy.

With over 7 billion people and only 457 thousand posibilities I think LLLL.com's are a great buy!

Last edited:
•••
GreenGambler said:
Yeah....

You showed you work and everything!

Thanks for the answer Etab..... I'm adding rep:)

So if there are only 456,976 possible 4 letter DN's w/o hypens or #'s then I would have to say they will all be reg'd within the next 10 years. Would you agree?

I mean there are what, 7 billion humans? And alot of the more populated poorer countries are becoming more and more internet savy.

With over 7 billion people and only 457 thousand posibilities I think LLLL.com's are a great buy!
Not everyone registers domains for "fun" or for their future potential value. The Internet could change drastically in the next ten years where these domains wouldn't be worth anything. I don't know what 2016 will hold. The names are dropping and being registered, and I feel there are too many to ever create an impact or something that's of worth. But, those are just my opinions. :)

Thanks,
Steve

•••
I see what your saying Etab.

But perhaps someone had the same thought about random 3 letter DN's 10 years ago and due to their lack of vision or funds they passed up a potentially huge investment.

IMO as long as humanity is still here in 10 years (questionable) than DN's will be here. If humans are gone than who cares about my loses, I'll be dead or a radiated zombie or hiding in a bomb shelter or something< LOL althogh not to funny!

The only thing that would really hurt my theory is if people stop buying .coms and start leaning toward there country codes or the .net or .org. Or if there becomes a new primo .ext?

The only thing that is 100% sure is that DNs are a gamble. And I love to Gamble!

•••
I think that 4 letter domains are a safe gamble too. I started making comments on this forum 11 months ago about my expectations of them running out. I expect them to run out in the next 18 months and I think that they are a lot better than some of the rubbishy names I see being dropped all the time.

I wouldn't be suprised if todays teenagers are a great future market for them.

To me the biggest threat to domains is from the non-english speaking countries who are against the US governments influence over the internet.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back