IT.COM

discuss How long should I continue to renew a domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Several years ago industry turnover was estimated in the 1-2% range though I believe now with all the new TLDs options average portfolio turn has declined. Some developers and end users are buying cheap new TLDs rather than aftermarket .COMs and many domain investors are buying new TLDs rather than cheap aftermarket domains in legacy extensions. There is far more inventory available for sale but has end user demand for premium-priced domains mushroomed at the same rate? I don't think so. Inevitably many domain investors are faced with high renewal bills and few sales to pay them. So if you have 25 domains or 2500 domains, how long do you keep renewing hoping for that deep-pocketed end user to buy your domains?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
All depends on the name.

If it's crap it will always be crap regardless of TLDs or inventory, etc.

•••
Good domains usually show their results (offers, sales) within 1-3 years...

•••
Depends on the domains plus price you planned to sell them on

•••
All depends on the domain, the parking stats may give an indication of its popularity but it takes many years to sell most domains.

•••
All it takes is one person to want a name but that one person may never come. I always base it on how much interest the name gets by either inquiries, traffic etc.....

I may love the name but if no one shows interest after a few years and I have no use for it then I kick it to the curb and HugeDomains picks it up! LOL :)

•••
most domains I sell for good money
I actually own for 5 to 15 years

it all depends on the domain
and how much you where ahead of time
when you registered it

•••
It's a hard question to find one single answer for, because at the end of the day nobody really knows if a domain will sell.

Here is what I follow:

If a domain has a liquid value above the renewal price, then renew.

Other than that, you really just have to go with your gut. If you can't envision another business wanting that domain, then let it drop.

After a while your portfolio should consist of domains that you will continuously maintain ownership of long-term, and dropping a domain won't even be a consideration.

•••
At some point you might as well develop the domain. I try to pick names that I could use for some project. If you have only 25 domains, your cost is only $250/year and it can be written off as a business expense for tax purposes...
Trimming the portfolio is a good thing, because you save money in the long run. It's true, you've lost money by buying and renewing some domains. But by dropping them you cut losses.
You can't always win.
It's normal to have doubts but if you are questioning the value of all your domains, you might be in the wrong business. Buy better domains so you won't be on the fence on whether to keep them.

Lots of gut feeling involved indeed.

Last edited:
•••
If investing in new tech you need to allow up to ten years, I have one or two I have held for about this length of time. Other names such as brandables will always be a lotto, just depends on your patience. If you have a good mx in your portfolio you will not be boxed in to one genre, meaning you have more sales fronts

•••
For me, it's less than 3 years for the fast invest.

•••
Depends on a lot of factors. For me if it does not make the cash parking and if i knew would be hard to sell I would at the least put it up for sale here to recover some expense cost.

•••
you should renew at least once to give it a time to be seen, then either develop it into a site or let it go.

and it depends on the name, the easy its a gem ones, just hold like investment, the ones that are going to be hard to sell then .. above

•••
I have domains that I drop after a year (usually domains that I handregged for $2 or less with a promo code), ones that I will at least keep a couple of years (usually .com domains that I purchased on the aftermarket or through a dropcatcher for $99 or less) and ones that I will never drop (usually aged one word or liquid .com domains, such as CVCV domains, that I purchased on the aftermarket or directly from an end user for $XXX, $X,XXX and up).
The domains that I renew are domains that have plenty of potential end users, traffic,... and/or domains where my gut tells me they will be sold one day. I also renew any domains that I could use for a project myself.

Last edited:
•••
depends on which domain name it is, which extension it is, how potential valuable or worth it can be, combining with current trends, your knowledge, experience and skills you can decide to keep the particular domain or get away with it. Though sometimes even when you take your decision well, it can go against you easily, because there is always be certain luck factor involved in domains. There will always be crappiest of names which will suddenly sell upto XXXX dollars and other potential super brandable names remain useless with you. You can't simply always predict it right, there is not 100% guarantee of everything, For me this is the catch and highlight as a domainer.

So its all about taking the right decision depending on the name and everything else. and then hoping your decision is proven right.

Btw appraising your particular domain on namepros can give you fair idea.

•••
•••
Post the list of names you’re not sure if you should renew or not in the appraisal thread. You’ll get far more specific feedback on whether or not they are worth renewing.

•••
The answer is more complicated than it seems. There are domain names which receive relatively few inquiries that will one day sell suddenly at end user pricing - even years after little action. This is especially true for quality one word generics. Case in point: Earlier this year I let a one word .biz drop that had been in the portfolio for 7 or 8 years with 1 or 2 low ball offers. 4 months after it dropped, it sold on Sedo for $9500.

•••

There are domain names which receive relatively few inquiries that will one day sell suddenly at end user pricing - even years after little action.

4 months after it dropped, it sold on Sedo for $9500.

yes thats true!

I can feel your pain..
next you'd better let me know what you goanna drop ... ;)

•••
The issue is not about having collections of domain, what if the domains are not profitable. Its a thing to have a domain, and also another thing to have a marketable domain. If the domains are awesome, i can assure that you won't be the one to renew it.

•••
•••
you can't evaluated profitability before you either sold it or dropped it
Profitability might be the wrong word there, what i meant is that, what if the domain doesn't look like it will make a bid or sale

•••
i think domain name extensions, primarily country code (ccTLD) extensions, there is no grace period. Once the domain name expires, you must pay a redemption fee plus renewal to keep the domain name.

•••
i think domain name extensions, primarily country code (ccTLD) extensions, there is no grace period. Once the domain name expires, you must pay a redemption fee plus renewal to keep the domain name.
It depends on each extension, however I usually renewal them 1 month before they go expired.

•••
I'm still quite new to this. I currently own 10-20 domains. For some of these I operate websites, mostly just for fun and to try out website development. With 1-3 I earned/try to earn some money, but due to lack of time this is not really working. Might be a good backup if something goes wrong in my main job.

I also have a a couple of domains that I intend to keep for longer time. And I have 1-2 "hairy" domains, they can be very provoking for certain people.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back