NameSilo

How long does a domain name stay in redemption period for

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The whois record says the name is in redemption period but the whois owner is got it listed as private so i cant even see who owns the name and the domain name itself does not load

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Its usually 30 days but sometimes it takes longer. Are you trying to catch a dropped domain? If its a really good name that other domainers might be interested in you might want to consider back ordering it.

•••
•••
I have found that many registrars hold on to a name for at least a week after it should drop to test traffic etc, I just keep trying to register every day till I get it.

•••
Related Question --

Is there any restriction on how long before the expiration date you can *transfer* a domain? I think a registrar once told me I couldn't transfer a domain from them if it was up to expire within something like 30 days.

But reading this:

http://www.icann.org/en/transfers/policy-en.htm

... it appears there is no such restriction at all. So could I technically transfer it even on its last day before expiration? (or maybe last week, given the need for 5 days to complete a transfer)

•••
AFAIK, no. Some registrars just don't want to take unnecessary risks if people are essentially transferring at the last minute, especially if unexpected and unwanted problems (knock on wood) occur.

It's actually even possible to transfer an expired domain name, but that's very risky. If a registrar says they won't allow transfer if within 7 or even 30 days before expiry, just look for one who's willing to take you in.

•••
•••
I've heard some registrars will forbid transfers within 30 days of expiration, which I think is ridiculous. Most registrars won't let you transfer if the domain is expired. They might not explicitly say so, but you'll find out when you can't get the auth code for the domain.

•••
Its usually 30 days but sometimes it takes longer. Are you trying to catch a dropped domain? If its a really good name that other domainers might be interested in you might want to consider back ordering it.

How do i backorder when it is from a private register

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back