Dynadot

question How important is it to own similar domain names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mojavejava

Impact
I'm planning to create a content/affiliate marketing website in an area where I have expertise and I have purchased a domain name I really like. The problem is that the name contains a number and while I've been able to buy the version with the number as a digit, the version with the number written out as a word is not available (example: I own 4wheelers.com but can't buy fourwheelers.com). Or rather, someone wants $2k for it which I can't afford. So while there's currently no website using that name, that could change in the future if someone buys this domain. If that happens, people who've heard about my site could accidentally end up on my competitor's site.

I really like the domain name I purchased for the site but I'm now wondering if I should settle for something else to avoid possible future confusion. What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back