IT.COM

.biz How good is .BIZ for a store?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Would you develop a top commercial keyword .biz domain into a store / e-commerce site? Let's take Shoes.biz as example (I don't own it). Would it make a good store that people could take seriously? I know people are kind of reticent when buying from non .COM domains; I admit, I am too. Do you know any successful stores on .BIZ domains?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've always associated .BIZ for business-to-business (B2B) sites rather than marketed toward consumers. When I see a .BIZ store, my mind puts it with either a wholesale or B2B site. I don't think it will give you a lot of credibility toward consumers. :imho:

•••
I'll second Steve's comment on expecting business-to-business when dealing with .biz names.
For shoes.biz I would expect a shoe wholesaler, rather than a shoe store.

•••
I'll second Steve's comment on expecting business-to-business when dealing with .biz names.
For shoes.biz I would expect a shoe wholesaler, rather than a shoe store..

Maybe a wholesaler who sells to the public at a discount rate? Or just a discount store. But I think a while ago they were talking about the possibility of a .shop which would probably be better.

Last edited:
•••
I wish this thread was started earlier on... I just got

WatchShow.biz

Well, I better look for an agent and sell it to Hollywood. They may have some good use of it...

•••
Always use a .com for retailing (and most other things too). Exception: Use country tld if you are concentrating your sales in a non-US country (in US use .com of course).

•••
The quality of a one word .BIZ is similar to that of a three word .COM.

GoodShoes.Com > Shoes.Biz > GoodShoesOnline.Com

•••
-RJ- said:
The quality of a one word .BIZ is similar to that of a three word .COM.

GoodShoes.Com > Shoes.Biz > GoodShoesOnline.Com

I like your example. Makes good sense.

•••
webcom said:
Would you develop a top commercial keyword .biz domain into a store / e-commerce site? Let's take Shoes.biz as example (I don't own it). Would it make a good store that people could take seriously? I know people are kind of reticent when buying from non .COM domains; I admit, I am too. Do you know any successful stores on .BIZ domains?

But is that reticence because you are a domainer?

For the general public who don't know a com from a bz if they go to a developed site that sells what they want why would they have any qualms , it is more the online security that is the concern :?

JMO

•••
wot said:

Good point. I am primarily a developer although it's hard not to get caught up in the speculation. I was at a meeting with a client this week where we were talking about some ideas for another site where the .com was taken. He immediately suggested .biz and I promptly shot him down. My son, who was also there, pointed out later I was talking like a domainer. I think there are tons of business owners who are only concerned with their local markets and have no problem with non .com tlds.

•••
wot said:

For the general public who don't know a com from a bz if they go to a developed site that sells what they want why would they have any qualms , it is more the online security that is the concern :?

JMO
I agree, I also think quality of the site in terms of design, download times/quality, trustworthy payment system which people are familiar with, good range of products at the right price, quality security protocols, reasonable shipping times/ charges, cross promotion with trusted online brands, correctly targetted advertising, and many other factors contribute to a successful sale.

I think .biz sounds o.k. for a store or shop selling just about any product including shoes. I know in Australia there is a chain of shoe stores called "Shoo Biz" which sells mainly shoes.

I also think that another issue when selecting a domain, is the word of mouth advertising from customers. It isn't easy for someone to remember a quick recommendation from a friend like "Hey I found this great website which sells shoes, the web address is BargainShoeSite.com". People are already saturated by advertising. Even a banner ad may be hard to remember.

I also think that if you are worried about reticence, it is worth considering, that in most towns and cities there are a steadily growing number of small local business using the .biz tld. Something which your potential customer will probably reflect on when faced with the address.

Do you know any successful stores on .BIZ domains?
With now over 1.8mil domains registered, I'm sure there must be many.

•••
When the .com Isn't Available

I own refi.biz ($35 Landrush II) and reo.biz ($450, private sale). The .coms would have been way out of my price range, so I had to settle for what I could get.

I did try to get reo.us earlier this year, which would have been better than reo.biz, but when I went to pay my $2,100 TDNAM bid after the high bidder failed to pay, the original registrant renewed. "Missed it by that much . . ." So I quickly hunted down the owner of reo.biz and made my offer.

That said, when you can't get the .com, you have to either look for a variation of your desired name, or try to find an alternative Tld. I can't say whether or not shoeplace.com, for example, is better than shoe.biz, but you gotta admit, it does feel good to own a generic .biz that would be worth six or seven figures if it were a .com. Maybe one day . . . Yah never no what will catch on in the future.

Last edited:
•••
I think the general public will not be as concerned as the developer and domainer when it comes to a site been a dot com or not. I also think tld's like .biz will become very accpeted in the years to come as more businesses turn to alternative tld's as the drought on dot coms becomes more extreme. I have several online stores using .info and they are my best selling sites for products although I must admit they have very targeted keywords

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back