IT.COM

How GoDaddy “uses this one simple trick” to get 56,000 more registration years per month

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
gddy-five.jpg

GoDaddy managed to rack up 56,000 extra years of .com registrations in June.

How? “Using this one simple trick!”

GoDaddy’s shopping cart defaults to a five-year registration period when you place a domain name in your cart. Most people switch this back to just one year, but some don’t. Whether they merely overlook this or decide it makes sense to register the domain name for five years, about 3.5% of new .com registrations at GoDaddy each month are for five years.

In June, for example, .com registry reports show that 3.48% of GoDaddy’s new .com registrations were for five years. Across all registrars, only 1.66% of new .com registrations had five-year terms.

GoDaddy had 26,750 five-year .com registrations in June. If it would have hit the registrar average, it would have had only 12,750. So that’s a difference of 56,000 registration years in one month, mostly by defaulting to a five-year registration period.

Source

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
great strategy for business. good share arpit

•••
I have noticed this for quite some time now.

•••
yeah... it sure is there for that reason.
and no doubt it translates into many extra regs for them too.

for the newer domainers... to make switch... go to your account settings/domain defaults... and change default reg year to 1... makes things faster when doign bulk regs so u do not need to change 1 by 1.. plus it prevents you from getting tricked :)

cheers

p.s. still never figured out how to empty the whole cart at godaddy though with one click.. perhaps another hard to find gd trick ;)

rt6y56ry76.JPG

Last edited:
•••
The default used to be 2 (after 1). When did they change it?

•••
yeah... it sure is there for that reason.
and no doubt it translates into many extra regs for them too.

for the newer domainers... to make switch... go to your account settings/domain defaults... and change default reg year to 1... makes things faster when doign bulk regs so u do not need to change 1 by 1.. plus it prevents you from getting tricked :)

cheers

p.s. still never figured out how to empty the whole cart at godaddy though with one click.. perhaps another hard to find gd trick ;)

Show attachment 41053

Can you give the URL of this page (PM please, thanks) ?

•••
•••
Thanks Alcy for that info .. GD really gets on my nerves with a bunch of things .. that was one of them .. never realised I could change the default! :)

•••
I don't see it as good strategy, it's borderline misleading because they distract you with so much crap during checkout it's easy to miss a small detail. This isn't really a new tactic, though I'm used to expecting the number of years to be changed and always check out of habit.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back