Domain Empire

news How Go Time Ventures became Perception.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ali

Top Member
Starfire Holdings
Impact
We ran into a bit of a “fluke” earlier this week. We received a cease and desist letter from a major company in our industry alerting us that our usage of the term “Go Time” in our company name was an infringement on their trademark.

At first, it was a bit frustrating. Having to rebrand a company so early after launch, the public perception of the rebranding, along with the sheer amount of work that would have to go into it (on top of the work that had already gone into it) were only a few of our many dilemmas…

Read the whole story here.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You had to know that was coming? Were you truly unaware of the tie in to GoDaddy?

•••
You had to know that was coming? Were you truly unaware of the tie in to GoDaddy?

You know, my partners had picked the name before I could "vote" on it. GoDaddy has a TM on "It's Go Time" - they were actually unaware of it. Either way, it worked out for the best. Perception is a much better name and it allows us to put our money where our mouth is :)

•••
Perception is a much better name

Agreed. There have been worse faux pas name decisions. Glad you caught it in time.

Another GoDady fun fact is that they are notorious for enforcing their own TM's if a domain is registered with their service; just deleting it out of customers accounts.

Best of continued success with your venture!

•••
Agreed! Glad we did too! Thank you!
Another GoDady fun fact is that they are notorious for enforcing their own TM's if a domain is registered with their service; just deleting it out of customers accounts.

Fun fact indeed! Looks like somebody went after GD in February for the same reason!

•••
blessing in disguise, perception is a much better name! :)

•••
•••
•••
Agree with everyone here. Perception.com is so much better domain.

•••
Excellent name, Ali. And very appropriate for the business. I really am amazed at the speed of transformation. Great job and I admire your endurance during this ! All the very best.

•••
way better name :)
Agree with everyone here. Perception.com is so much better domain.
Thanks you both!

Excellent name, Ali. And very appropriate for the business. I really am amazed at the speed of transformation. Great job and I admire your endurance during this ! All the very best.

I appreciate your kind words! It's been a very long few days. Little sleep, a lot of designing and busy work getting everything lined up for Perception!

•••
Perception is GREAT name!! Best of luck!

•••
•••
Much better name in my opinion :)

•••
"the public perception of the rebranding" to Perception.com lol

Its never to early to listen to a C&D letter and get a better name. GoodluckI

•••
"the public perception of the rebranding" to Perception.com lol

Its never to early to listen to a C&D letter and get a better name. GoodluckI

Getting crafty with my words :xf.cool: haha!

And thank you! I appreciate it!

•••
Yes, Much Much better !
Good luck:)

•••
I really, really love your new name and I think it fits well to your Personality!
Perception - Personality have much in common.

I think GTV was just absolutely bad for you (didn't want to offend your feelings to say that before).
No matter how I look at at it - it's baaaad.
From domainer point of view: 3 words (just killing!), 0 rich keywords (or even any make-sense keyword!), long, not smooth, not catchy...
From anyone point of view GTV - television? Go time - what does it mean? Buy watches or boredom?
And finally, ventures! Gives very wrong impression of lousy start up company (with one person behind it) trying to look "Big"!

@*#&*&# How come the guy, who is known as proven seller of 1 Word Meaningful domains end up with the name like that? :-o:D:D

Perception is really everything! He he. Why don't you remove that article from the website so you will not confuse the end users with company's credibility and polish your branding? Even you logo looks nice!

•••
I really, really love your new name and I think it fits well to your Personality!
Perception - Personality have much in common.

I think GTV was just absolutely bad for you (didn't want to offend your feelings to say that before).
No matter how I look at at it - it's baaaad.
From domainer point of view: 3 words (just killing!), 0 rich keywords (or even any make-sense keyword!), long, not smooth, not catchy...
From anyone point of view GTV - television? Go time - what does it mean? Buy watches or boredom?
And finally, ventures! Gives very wrong impression of lousy start up company (with one person behind it) trying to look "Big"!

@*#&*&# How come the guy, who is known as proven seller of 1 Word Meaningful domains end up with the name like that? :-o:D:D

Perception is really everything! He he. Why don't you remove that article from the website so you will not confuse the end users with company's credibility and polish your branding? Even you logo looks nice!

I know the feeling :) It was not my decision to name the company GTV, it was my partners - however, it was my idea to name it Perception once we received the C&D ;) I appreciate your honesty very much!

•••
Great name buddy, good luck !

•••
Why would a supposed experienced domainer even think of using the previous name for HIS BUSINESS really baffled me, honestly!

Let's assume you there were no TM issue and no company came down on you, are you trying to say you would have kept the old name?

Where has all the doctrines you preached just to get your names sold on flippa gone?

Glad someone had to make you do the right thing and set you on track, Good luck.

•••
Why would a supposed experienced domainer even think of using the previous name for HIS BUSINESS really baffled me, honestly!

Let's assume you there were no TM issue and no company came down on you, are you trying to say you would have kept the old name?

Where has all the doctrines you preached just to get your names sold on flippa gone?

Glad someone had to make you do the right thing and set you on track, Good luck.

I mentioned above that I had no say in the original name being picked. My partners picked it without me. I was very keen on using a premium domain name from the gate.

Either way, it ended up working out just the way I had hope and imagined it would. The dot's connected and the timing was perfect.

Last edited:
•••
Ali, would you mind telling us who your partners are? You seem to be the only one listed on the website.

Just curious who else is behind Perception. I looked around a bit but didn't see it, so sorry if I missed that info elsewhere.

•••
Ali, would you mind telling us who your partners are? You seem to be the only one listed on the website.

Just curious who else is behind Perception. I looked around a bit but didn't see it, so sorry if I missed that info elsewhere.

Yes, my partners are multiple investors from around the world who wish to remain private.

•••
I like the slogan "Perception is everything" ..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back