IT.COM

discuss How Forum Full of Pros Can Have Such a Bad Selection of Names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
I have been on this forum for almost 4 years.

And I still cannot get used to the fact that absolute majority of the names offered are of awful quality.

It is not just newbies or people with incomplete grasp of English trading in English names. It is even established members.

Don't get me wrong, there are many many members here with amazing eye for good names, wonderful analytical skills, ability to use tech tools etc.

I look through the list of offered names in auctions, look at the names posted in "snap" or "reg of the day" and see the same picture that I see at GD expired lists: huge amount of garbage and few gems in between.

And while it makes sense for the expired lists, after all, most regular people are not supposed to know which domains are great and also they make decisions at reg fee level, it makes no sense for a forum of pros.

And here is why I care:

I believe that if we all were more selective and not waste our cash with non-investment grade names, it would increase the level of liquidity for better names and we all would benefit from that, rather than making registries and Verisign richer. For this reason, I quite often hit "bin" button on a name here, while I could probably have gotten comparable one for the same price or cheaper on GD.

Here are some numbers to make you think: from one of the latest polls, half of the forum members are loosing money and 2/3 overall either losing or breaking even or not earning anything meaningful.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Blame the $1 auction section.
I don't understand how can you make money in this section.
You spend your time and bump 100 times for $1?????

•••
It might just have to do with that no one expects anyone here to pay much for a name, so why try to sell here what might sell elsewhere to an end user. At least, that's a positive way to look at this reality of mostly poor names being offered at NP.

Last edited:
•••
I think for one reason or another, every domain investor registers names that, at the time, may have seemed like a good idea - only to realize later the name wasn't very good. These are the names that end up being offered here on nP - maybe to find someone else that may be interested in a domain that probably isn't very good.

•••
You are right. Vast majority of names sold on forums are names people either want to flip quickly or are rejects. Sometimes you can find a good name but you have to rummage through a lot of bad ones. I have seen investment grade names sell for around 1K that are worth 10x that. But that is very rare.

Most of the time people selling on forums are cutting their losses or trying to liquidate to make room for new acquisitions or both. Or simply are newbies learning the ropes.

•••
Blame the $1 auction section.
I don't understand how can you make money in this section.
You spend your time and bump 100 times for $1?????

Too much time on hand? Yes, and I agree that $1 promos are distorting everything for everyone.

Someone with lots of time in hand and not caring about security of regs, transfer problems etc. could register 8 times cheaper than you and I and offer those names 5-10 times cheaper to end users. If that name is close second alternative to yours, but priced at 300$ instead of $2000, guess what the buyer might decide.

•••
The main reason is we have TOO MANY New Investors/Resellers with $20 in the pocket and want to become a millionaire.

- Wanted One Word Dictionary for $500 - You get what you pay. Dream On.

•••
Here here! .... lot of junk names being posted on this forum.

I don't understand how some of you people make a living doing $7 or $16 transactions. Isn't your time money valuable than that?

•••
It might just have to do with that no one expects anyone here to pay much for a name, so why try to sell here what might sell elsewhere to an end user. At least, that's a positive way to look at this reality of mostly poor names being offered at NP.

You are right. Vast majority of names sold on forums are names people either want to flip quickly or are rejects. Sometimes you can find a good name but you have to rummage through a lot of bad ones. I have seen investment grade names sell for around 1K that are worth 10x that. But that is very rare.

Most of the time people selling on forums are cutting their losses or trying to liquidate to make room for new acquisitions or both. Or simply are newbies learning the ropes.

Yes, I have considered that explanation as well. But then in 4 years of seeing the same users offering names and then posting their new regs, you see that it is not just realizing what was bad choice and trying to get rid off, it is mostly pattern.

And lots of the names are too bad even for judgement slip or cheap reg.

•••
Here here! .... lot of junk names being posted on this forum.

I don't understand how some of you people make a living doing $7 or $16 transactions. Isn't your time money valuable than that?

This is the unfortunate aspect. They don't do spreadsheets, analysis, cost of time, opportunity cost etc.

If I can be paid for consulting $100+/hr, I am not going to spend my time on any activity paying $20/hr, while many waste theirs having no clue if it is even generating positive cash flow.

•••
One only has to look at a dropping name list once to realize a lot of people register complete garbage. I often shake my head at the things people paid to register.

On the other side of the coin, what you may deem bad may sell all the time on brandable sites and auction sites. So if a name we think is mediocre sells for $2K it’s no longer a bad name because somebody wanted it. Beauty is in the eye of the buyer.

Strategy matters too. Someone may be happy as a clam selling numerous names priced $500 to $3000 and others are only interested in 5K plus sales or 10K plus sales.

I agree there are poor quality names offered here a lot of the time. But when the average person here wants to pay very low prices no matter the quality why would anyone bring out their better names?

This is a place to drop names you don’t want and that’s what people are doing. As far as critiquing other people’s pick ups, I don’t really do that unless they are very bad. I have seen too many names I found ho hum sell to rely only on my own taste in names.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back