Dynadot

discuss How do you unload your frustration when u drop a name, and then it gets $500 bids on backorder?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

alcy

Top Member
Impact
does it happen a lot to you?
i have a whole bunch of decent .io names... so its mostly about those for me... and they cost loads to renew.. so i gotta make some choices.. else renewals add up REAL fast on .io ... so that being said...not infrequently do I see a few of them here and there get many bids from backorders... last one was REVIVAL(.io)............ on park.io.. just a day ago...
$410 I think it ended...
nice name... but extraordinary? no. how come I wasn't able to get $400 sale or offer while I had it? not fair right?

so here you can tell your similar stories.... and what do you do (medication wise, go for a run etc....) to unload your anger when this occurs. cheers.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Umm you were better off auctioning those you dump. All boils down to planning.

•••
its better to auction at a discount then watch that. :)

•••
Nothing new.
You can hold a name for 10 years and never receive a single offer.
You let it expire and it goes to $5k at expired auction.
When this happened, I think the name has not had the right visibility (even if listed in ALL marketplaces).

•••
I would bought it from you)

•••
well... i think its a different kind of exposure on those sites like park.io...
i mean some of the names that sell there (mostly .io) and the sale prices.. really aren't worth the money... i don't know how the owner does it there.. but.. i guess there is a reason he averages 100k per month profit

sometomes i see my .io names fetch some money on dynadot expired too.. but its much more rare..

i have most my io names on dyna... so they go there for expired.. but then before they return to public regs... they can bckorder i guess too... on places like park.io..
probably few other places too? like where?
im not al that familiar with backorders..

as for those who said to auction them off before they expire... well good idea.. but if u meant here, then we all know they'd not fetch much... and i can always start an auction on dyna where they are... i think it needs to be min 30 days before they expire.. but i seriously doubt it'd fetch much also.

so yeah... i guess park.io just getrs tons of exposure... and it is impossible to match those prices if u auction somewhere else on yer own.

Last edited:
•••
This is one of the problems I am trying to solve. This is a huge pain point for all of us. Some of us are carrying thousands of domains and pruning is good. It's a bonsai tree, you mold your portfolio to grow a certain way.

We must accept two things,
1. You can't retail every domain you own. (Unless you register/renew for 2-3 years at a time, I am trying to do this.)
2. You will run into cashflow issues eventually.

The business cycle may work against you at times, you will have to pick one over the other if you have 50 renewals daily, for example, you may only be able to renew 40. Why not liquidate the other 10 and use the capital for 10 more? It's a compounding winning strategy. Let the buyers have good deals, recover some of your capital, renew more domains.

•••
True.

If only there were a database of all .io domain registrants.........

And let them all know your upcoming auctions?

•••
i have a whole bunch of decent .io names... so its mostly about those for me... and they cost loads to renew.. so i gotta make some choices.. else renewals add up REAL fast on .io ... so that being said...not infrequently do I see a few of them here and there get many bids from backorders... last one was REVIVAL(.io)............ on park.io.. just a day ago...
$410 I think it ended...
nice name... but extraordinary? no. how come I wasn't able to get $400 sale or offer while I had it? not fair right?

so here you can tell your similar stories.... and what do you do (medication wise, go for a run etc....) to unload your anger when this occurs. cheers.

Nothing you can do once it gone but you can avoid that in future simply send all of your droppings names to Name Liquidate.

You can use Name Liquidate API to make things easier.

•••
$410 I think it ended...

Life.. is .. not ..always ..fair.

•••
epik.com's idea of nameliquidate.com has covered this issue well. I recommend it for newbies if they come up on renewal and dont know what to do, why not drop them off at nameliquidate.com and see what happens before you make your renewal decisions. ty.

•••
Nothing you can do once it gone but you can avoid that in future simply send all of your droppings names to Name Liquidate.

You can use Name Liquidate API to make things easier.

"avoid it in future by sending to nameliquidate.."
that almost sounds like a guarantee ;)
wish life was full of beautiful guarantees like yours.. but its not.
but i do think nameliquidate is worth a try. nothing to lose but bit of time setting things up

•••
your trash is someone's treasure.

Auctions also create some kind of competition and drive usually the price higher. I noticed that some domains are sold higher to domainers than to end-users.

•••
true... but seriously... that park.io has some out of this world prices on names that are avg at best... i check it regularly... the site was one of first to do these types of auctions, so the guy built a rep... and thus a client base too... unless a lot of those buyers are endusers, there is no way a lot of those names are going to be making money if they are reseller buyers.

i guess its just living proof what happens when u are first site aroun to do a certain thing.. whether your name is parkio or ebay or paypal etc.

•••
"avoid it in future by sending to nameliquidate.."
that almost sounds like a guarantee ;)
wish life was full of beautiful guarantees like yours.. but its not.
but i do think nameliquidate is worth a try. nothing to lose but a bit of time setting things up
At least you won't be frustrated.

I used to drop all of my names silently even I don't looked back where they are going, getting dropped or picked up by HD and other deep-pocketed domainer.

When NL started I just sent only 3 names which were due to expire in a week. One was sold for $36.86 (GeneticAble///com) and others two not.

I simply used that's funds and renewed my other two names.

IMG_20200303_210740.jpg

Last edited:
•••

I used to drop all of my names silently even I don't looked back where they are going, getting dropped or picked up by HD and other deep-pocketed domainer.

When NL started I just sent only 3 names which were due to expire in a week. One was sold for $36.86 (GeneticAble///com) and others two not.

Show attachment 146453

good idea with nameliquidate.. worth a try.. but again, for me not to be frustrated I'd have to sell there.. and that's no guarantee.

but hey... we don't get many guarangtees in domaining either way.. so its all good..
well.. unless you run service like parkio.. then u get to sell names for more than their worth .. at least to resellers :)

•••
1. You can't retail every domain you own. (Unless you register/renew for 2-3 years at a time, I am trying to do this.)

Hi Dan. Can you expand on this.

Are you saying that you should be able to retail any given name you own over 2-3 years, or that registering for longer periods makes prospective buyers want to pay retail for your domain.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

•••
I think he means that if a domain is priced decently at a retail price, it will take at least 2-3 years to sell. So can't always expect a retail-price sale within the first year. Most of the time, domainers / including me, often think of 1 year terms for most names.

Last edited:
•••
•••
It's all psychology. Some see buying from other domainers on message boards as just buying each other's "garbage", while catching an expiring name on a drop seems like a challenge, like mining for gold.

See this story about Frank Schilling's opinion on domainers as a example

https://www.thedomains.com/2019/06/10/i-dont-buy-from-domainers-on-principle/

could be but more to it than just psychology... place like parkio really does have big following of oldtimers and inflow of new ones.. who just keep bidding there often probably out of habit.. cause they been doing it for years over and over ... at the same spot. then again, thatd could be called human psychology too so i guess yer right heheh

•••

Show attachment 146453

Using NL is a win : win situation.. Atleast selling one of the domain using that method will help you to renew others as you subtly put. That's nice to know.

•••
Using NL is a win : win situation.. Atleast selling one of the domain using that method will help you to renew others as you subtly put. That's nice to know.

it can be seen as win win.
but time is money.. so if you spend time putting 100 names there and sell one for $10... or whatever the lowest possible there is.. then its basically not win win.

•••
This has nothing to do with the platform catching the domain, nor the platform you attempt to liquidate at.

It all falls on FOMO and the perceived quality of expiring domains, being that, another person had it so it must be worth something. If one other person wants it and bids, it causes a landslide — monetarily and mentally.

Now, why don't these same people want to buy from you before expiry?

Many domainers don't like to see others win, some think they can get it cheaper on the drop, and often you're exposing yourself to the wrong eyes (or lack thereof).

Personally, I've experimented with dropping my domains that I know/think are worth $xxx-$xxxx, just to see if/where they're caught, or how long until they're picked up down the road. In doing this, you can see what types of domains draw interest, and (typically) which ones you were only emotionally attached to. I plan on writing my musings from this experimentation sometime this year.

Don't beat yourself up when these things happen; It could be a fluke, or simply a learning experience that makes you better at judging renewing vs dropping.

I lost a large number of high quality domains this year due to an expired debit card and having issues with my GSuite email accounts. One of the names was picked up on the drop and sold for an unknown amount and used as the re-brand of a startup that secured a near $30m funding round.

Last edited:
•••
This has nothing to do with the platform catching the domain, nor the platform you attempt to liquidate at.

It all falls on FOMO and the perceived quality of expiring domains, being that, another person had it so it must be worth something. If one other person wants it and bids, it causes a landslide — monetarily and mentally.

Now, why don't these same people want to buy from you before expiry?

Many domainers don't like to see others win, some think they can get it cheaper on the drop, and often you're exposing yourself to the wrong eyes (or lack thereof).

Personally, I've experimented with dropping my domains that I know/think are worth $xxx-$xxxx, just to see if/where they're caught, or how long until they're picked up down the road. In doing this, you can see what types of domains draw interest, and (typically) which ones you were only emotionally attached to. I plan on writing my musings from this experimentation sometime this year.

Don't beat yourself up when these things happen; It could be a fluke, or simply a learning experience that makes you better at judging renewing vs dropping.

I lost a large number of high quality domains this year due to an expired debit card and having issues with my GSuite email accounts. One of the names was picked up on the drop and sold for an unknown amount and used as the re-brand of a startup that secured a near $30m funding round.

good points cheers
but there are huge differences between platforms.. exposure wise etc...
so aside from the points you mention, the WHERE (which platform) counts for almost everything

ps. just to be clear.. this thread was sarcasm as im not looking for tips or ways to unload frustrations about this... ;) iwas just stating the obvious that like all here i'd prefer to be getting that 400$ for revivalio and other similar sales for myself ;)

Last edited:
•••
good points cheers
but there are huge differences between platforms.. exposure wise etc...
so aside from the points you mention, the WHERE (which platform) counts for almost everything

ps. just to be clear.. this thread was sarcasm as im not looking for tips or ways to unload frustrations about this... ;) iwas just stating the obvious that like all here i'd prefer to be getting that 400$ for revivalio and other similar sales for myself ;)

Exposure is certainly variable between platform, but in this context, you could have a name listed on PlatformX for years and see it sell at drop auction for far more.

You can try your hardest to get your handreg sold on NP with an auction starting at $1, receiving zero bids. Someone picks it up at drop, say it's an expired domain, and sell it on NP overnight.

Perceived value.

I know you're as well-versed on the subject of branding and domains as anyone else, but some people seeing this may need to hear some of these points!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back