Dynadot

How do you reach domain owners now?

NameSilo
Watch
With new privacy laws, WHOIS websites are becoming merely tools to check expiration dates. No contact information is present. If we're lucky, we can see a masked forwarding e-mail address.

So in this new age without Whois information, how do you find the contact information for the names? Or do you rely on forms like GoDaddy that offer no way to message a seller?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi

there is a difference between a domain owner and a domain that's for sale

by that i mean,
say you reach the domain owner, but the name is not for sale

however, if the name is for sale, then it should be listed somewhere.

i'd start by typing the domain in address bar, then from there maybe search sedo, afternic and other venue listings.
if nothing turns up, and i was really interested....
then i'd give domainagents a buzz.

imo...

•••
domainiq is one of the places that can provide you so much needed information about the potential domain name owner (or at least, the previous owners).

Best wishes!
Helmuts

•••
If lander is exact match out rank write articles on subject let them they find you. Need to always target end user.

•••
With new privacy laws, WHOIS websites are becoming merely tools to check expiration dates. No contact information is present. If we're lucky, we can see a masked forwarding e-mail address.

Thats the deal. Works fine for me whenever i need to use it and (nearly) never got whois datas without a forwarding e-mail adress (or contact form at the registrar itself which will forward the message).

Last edited:
•••
Hi

by that i mean,

i'd start by typing the domain in address bar, then from there maybe search sedo, afternic and other venue listings.

imo...
Yes, of course referring to domains not for sale. A for sale page is an obvious way to contact them either directly or through the particular broker. I wonder how domain agents would find the contact info.

•••
domainiq is one of the places that can provide you so much needed information about the potential domain name owner (or at least, the previous owners).

Best wishes!
Helmuts
What kind of info can they provide if it's an anonymous owner with no contact e-mail? Do they show the historical whois and then you kind of get hope to get lucky that it's still the same email?

•••
Yes, of course referring to domains not for sale. A for sale page is an obvious way to contact them either directly or through the particular broker. I wonder how domain agents would find the contact info.
There are several options, though it is not as easy as before.

Check the website.
Look up archived WHOIS.
Look on social media like LinkedIn and search engines.
Message the email in WHOIS (normally privacy).

You have to do more digging now than in the past.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Take a look at the DNS history of the domain, not just the whois history of the domain. The DNS history (and even the current DNS data) may reveal the owner. For example, you may be able to see that the mail records are pointing to another server, and you can look up all the domains hosted on that IP.

Another way is to use a code search engine (such as publicwww) to see sites that have common code on them (such as google analytics code, etc.).

•••
Take a look at the DNS history of the domain, not just the whois history of the domain. The DNS history (and even the current DNS data) may reveal the owner. For example, you may be able to see that the mail records are pointing to another server, and you can look up all the domains hosted on that IP.

Another way is to use a code search engine (such as publicwww) to see sites that have common code on them (such as google analytics code, etc.).
That's a sneaky but great idea. Do you use any specific tools for DNS history or code search?

•••

Best wishes!
Helmuts
You mean the paid version?

•••
That's a sneaky but great idea. Do you use any specific tools for DNS history or code search?
With DNS Trails (https://securitytrails.com/dns-trails) you can set up an account and get the DNS history of the domain. Oftentimes the MX records will be different, so you may be able to track down the real owner of a domain using DNS Trails.

•••
•••
•••
Whois will always have a way to contact the owner even if it's via a registrars forms or masked email.

The real problem is that most people that email a domainer owner don't know what to write if they want a reply and then they assume they didn't get a reply because their message didn't reach the owner.

A few tips for everyone

1. Send emails from a gmail that you did not abuse in any way. Sending from a private domain increase your chances of not being delivered.

2. You really have only one chance with your message. Messages like "I am interested in your domain" "is the domain for sale?" will rarely get replies. Spammers abused those messages and is usually associated with a mass mailer looking to buy good domains for 5.95.

3. Write your message making it clear you are not a spammer, include a phone number, and include a offer. You don't have to know in advance if something is for sale. Always include an offer. Always point out how you will pay and mention escrow via escrow.com even if this ends up changing. If they are domainers they will be fine with dan etc. Include when you will pay if they agree.

4. Ask that they should reply regardless. Some will comply with this even if they are not interested.

5. Google your email address before contacting people. If your email address is associated with anything negative, it might hurt how many replies you get. People google email address. Do the same for your name, number etc.

6. Stop the sob stories.

•••
it’s was way more fun before

just do a whois check and spam them an offer
made so many deals this way

if owner wants to use privacy, it should be their choice

•••
it’s was way more fun before

just do a whois check and spam them an offer
made so many deals this way

if owner wants to use privacy, it should be their choice

These days are just about behind us, unfortunately!

•••
Hi

by that i mean,

imo...

Everything's for sale at the right price, probably a lot of sales are missed because they are uncontactable.

•••
Everything's for sale at the right price, probably a lot of sales are missed because they are uncontactable.
the buyer that is serious will reach the owner

•••
If the main drive is to obtain email address of a domain owner, you may first try emailing to registrant email address on whois. Because email forwarding systems of some registrars work perfectly especially if you visit "website" of emailaddress@website and send via a contact form at "website". You have sent the email. Now wait for a reply for 7-15 days.

If still no response, then you may look up dns records if there is MX record. If you see an MX record, it means the domain receives emails. You may try emailing to most common email addresses such as admin/info @ domain. If you are lucky, if the email box has been configured as catchall (receiving all emails which are sent to anything@ domain) the first email you have sent, regardless of the email address, will very likely reach to domain owner. After each email you have sent, wait for a response for 7-15 days or even 30 days if there is a long holiday period somewhere in the World or if it's July or August. Typically waiting for 15 days would be more than enough to think there will be no response.

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back