Dynadot

How do you determine the Value of a Domain Name?

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
If someone else already asked this question and I'm causing a double threat, then I sincerely apologize in advanced.

I'm wracking my brain on this one...

How does one ACCURATELY determine how much a domain name is worth? I have never been able to figure this one out. For instance, I own the domain name HGHhumanGrowthHormone.net and estibot dot com says it's worth $1600, but im getting an offer for $250 for it. Do I take the money and run? or do I say heck no? To me the domain name looks kinda ugly, its long, its got h's touching h's, which looks yucky.

Please can I get some opinions on the science of evaluating and appraising a domain? I feel completely lost on this subject and would love to get numerous views and opinions on this subject.

:wave:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would have taken the offer in less time than it took you to write your post.

•••
I have got $$,$$$ offers for domain which was appraised for $$$ . And got $$ offer for domain appraised for $$,$$$.

The real appraisal/value is one on which both buyer and seller agree.

•••
This is most likely an affiliate webmaster looking for a keyword domain for SEO, and this probably isn't his first choice. If you knew what HGH products pay out, how easy it is to get traffic, what that traffic converts at, how important domains are and how competitive domain ownership is in this area, things would probably be more clear. I don't have the answers to this, but my haunch is that $250 is a decent offer.

Last edited:
•••
The chances of that offer being legit are small.

The odds of the sale actually closing with buyer coming off the hip is probably even smaller. But, If you can get $250 for that domain, you will be very fortunate to say the least. That's probably one of the worst looking domains I've seen, and I've seen plenty. A long tongue twister on .NET. (:

•••
Well, I personally think that the domain should be unique, short, descriptive and memorable.

•••
If someone else already asked this question and I'm causing a double threat, then I sincerely apologize in advanced.

I'm wracking my brain on this one...

How does one ACCURATELY determine how much a domain name is worth? I have never been able to figure this one out. For instance, I own the domain name HGHhumanGrowthHormone.net and estibot dot com says it's worth $1600, but im getting an offer for $250 for it. Do I take the money and run? or do I say heck no? To me the domain name looks kinda ugly, its long, its got h's touching h's, which looks yucky.

Please can I get some opinions on the science of evaluating and appraising a domain? I feel completely lost on this subject and would love to get numerous views and opinions on this subject.

:wave:

Hi

evaluating domains based on how they look, how long it is, or how many of the same or which letters touch each other... may be irrelevant if the domain represents a niche industry or service.

maybe the offer came from the .com owner

imo...

•••
It is impossible to predict with 100% accuracy. We never know if it exists "that guy" and "that offer".

•••
I will give you a very clear answer that took me years to understand, keep in mind this is MY method for valuing a domain..

To determine the value of the name, first determine its intent. MINE are divided into three groups.
FLIP: These domains I sell to pay for renewals, and make extra money.
INVESTMENT: These domains I am in for the long haul UNLESS the right offer comes around.
DEVELOP: These I have SOLID development plans for...

Now say I have a domain (example: Widgets.com)
IF widgets.com falls into my FLIP category the value may be $500 becuase I bought it for $40 of NP, or maybe i regged it four years ago..
IF widgets.com falls into my INVESTMENT category the value may be $4000 becuase I feel its a generic domain and I could not find an equal replacement for that amount.
IF widgets.com falls into my DEVELOP category the value is either what I have invested OR what I plan to invest. So if widgets.com is my passion and I KNOW one day I will run a full site off of it as a business venture then the value may be $100,000 becuase once sold I can never owned widgets.com again.

So before you determine YOUR value determine YOUR purpose... now I hope you can see the same domain will have different values depending on the category i put it in...

Now there are obviously other "attributes" that can add/subtract from value such as the domain being relative... 2008Olympics.com was worth much more in 2006 then in 2010... The obvious search volume... Current Ad costs, etc..

But for MOST domains that are brandable domains, and names that arent the SUPER PREMIUMS, I have found my model to work well for me..

Even if you dont use my exact model, go through your domains and mark them as FLIP, INVESTMENT, DEVELOP, PARK... It helps alot...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back