IT.COM

discuss How do you determine calculated risk in Domaining?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domains Ted

Top Member
Impact
Is calculated risk applicable in Domaining? If yes, how do you define it.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Renewal Costs

Accurate but a simplistic response nonetheless...

As your portfolio grows renewal costs are only part of the risks, there is always the possibility that someone wants your domain and decides to go after it with a UDRP or through the courts. Calculated risk means that you have to decide with every domain you buy, or register, how high the risk is that someone else may lay claim to the domain. The obvious is trademarks but again that is only part of it. Even common words or the combination of common words can be disputed by most anyone and as a domainer you have to leave a budget to defend a domain when it gets challenged by another entity.

So often we see domainers asking for legal advice on a forum simply because they have no budget set aside to defend a domain name, even when ownership is obvious.

So calculated risk is also about defending ownership, if you have the skills to do that yourself great, if not you have to hire someone to represent you.

Can you afford that?

If not make sure you register lower risk domains.

Last edited:
•••
•••
This is gambling you apply all the logic you can basing prices on previous sales. The end user doesn't follow the same guide. How much can you afford each year and what do you need to gain back to cover that and growth. How many you close a year all comes into play and real potential of your inventory.

Last edited:
•••
we have family, it was not just you.. having 100 time-consuming bestdomains no matter how deep your pockets are for those that said, "I wish I knew to buy .coms i the 90's too".. there is no time! Previous sales monday morning quarterbacking is when we asked for x,xxx and coulda asked of him xx,xxx (I've made too many mistakes to lose my hunger now)

Last edited:
•••
Hi

there are potential risks, in whom you solicit
there are potential risks, in the published price of the domain
there are potential risks, in who you let solicit or broker your name
there are potential risks, in the landing page you use
there are potential risks, in the ppc pages used.
and there are potential risks, with the actual domain you may own.

imo....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back