IT.COM

discuss How do you come up with hand reg names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Being someone who hand-regs names most of the time, it has become increasingly difficult coming up with good names.

While ExpiredDomains come to the rescue most of the time, coming up with good general exact match and brandable names are particularly turning out to be challenging.

So I wish to ask the community, how do you come up with good names for hand reg?
Has it worked for you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Duplicate post. Think an exact one was recent.

But great question.

•••
My gut feeling looking at that name. Does it sound catchy? Any meaning? So on.

No great success, but no great loss either.

I don’t do much hand reg now.

•••
It seemed domainers starting to reg anything possible in two words combination forms...

sharkhospital.com (hospital that taking care for someone bitten by shark) is free for reg now.

•••
Might be worth reading tech, medical, science, finance (and other areas) news, articles, research papers etc for potential new words, terms or trends.....

You might be able to get some nice EMD's or good brandables....

•••
I guess most of the people handreg domains inspiring from sold domain keywords..

•••
If you pick an Industry thats in a period of growth and development (for example 'Crypto-assets') then new terms and terminology are rich for the picking. You just need to stay on top of the news and be first.

For example I recently picked up VSCAS.Com after the GFMA recommended that Stablecoins are to fall under the category ‘Value-Stable Crypto-Assets’.

Now this term may or may not be adopted but by being first to the punch i've given myself the chance to hold an Industry term.

•••
If you pick an Industry thats in a period of growth and development (for example 'Crypto-assets') then new terms and terminology are rich for the picking. You just need to stay on top of the news and be first.

For example I recently picked up VSCAS.Com after the GFMA recommended that Stablecoins are to fall under the category ‘Value-Stable Crypto-Assets’.

Now this term may or may not be adopted but by being first to the punch i've given myself the chance to hold an Industry term.

I was reading a thread where people debated whether it was morally right to remain silent when you see a bad domain. And you have been talking about this domain a few times.
So here I am, giving my two bit advice, one n00b to another.

The abbreviation af Assets is not AS. You are the only one who will keep saying it is, but noone else will.

VSCA would have been worth something, but you are going plural in an abbreviation.
Plurals don't sell easily even with normal words.

I know it is just 7/8 dollars, but they add up fast enough.

•••
Being someone who hand-regs names most of the time, it has become increasingly difficult coming up with good names.

While ExpiredDomains come to the rescue most of the time, coming up with good general exact match and brandable names are particularly turning out to be challenging.

So I wish to ask the community, how do you come up with good names for hand reg?
Has it worked for you?

These three resources might help.

https://www.namepros.com/blog/hand-registering-domain-names.1192637/

https://www.namepros.com/threads/domains-101-infographic.853320/

https://www.namepros.com/threads/tips-on-how-to-hand-register-good-domains.1171156/

Good luck

•••
I was reading a thread where people debated whether it was morally right to remain silent when you see a bad domain. And you have been talking about this domain a few times.
So here I am, giving my two bit advice, one n00b to another.

The abbreviation af Assets is not AS. You are the only one who will keep saying it is, but noone else will.

VSCA would have been worth something, but you are going plural in an abbreviation.
Plurals don't sell easily even with normal words.

I know it is just 7/8 dollars, but they add up fast enough.

I would usually agree with what you are saying but i'm comparing it to CBDC/CBDC's which is everywhere right now.

Using your logic then CBDCS would be worthless and i'd have to disagree.

Last edited:
•••
Whatever floats your boat.
if you try to find confirmation bias for every bad buy, you will find one.

•••
Whatever floats your boat.
if you try to find confirmation bias for every bad buy, you will find one.

Agreed, but I thought it was worth a punt considering the potential size of the market if VSCA (and it's plural) becomes the recognised definition for an industry which will be worth Trillions.

•••
Seeing as VSCA.com is a developed site (https://vsca.com) you might have a slightly higher chance of selling the plural, or maybe not........

Last edited:
•••
Agreed, but I thought it was worth a punt considering the potential size of the market if VSCA (and it's plural) becomes the recognised definition for an industry which will be worth Trillions.
I agree with your intention. And end users even buy 20 letter domains for 10s of thousands of dollars, but here he is trying to figure out how to hand register domains and you are showing an example of a plural on an abbreviation.

I know it is a group of asset class, built it is like abbreviation Banking, Insurance and Financial Services as BFSIS

It will always be BFSI
When you speak of it, you might speak as BFSIs. BFSIS.com will always be weird compared to BFSI

First the Assets is already a Plural and is has been shorted.

I am just saying how I would think as a buyer.

But as a fellow domainer, I wish you only success. And hence my 2 bit.
I will be the happiest if you sold it for XX,XXX or even more.

I only feel sad when I sell something for cheap it gets resold for higher. ;)
But I wish everyone only the best

•••
1. news, esp. tech and science news
2. out of the blue ideas
3. variations of expiring, auctioned or recently sold domains
4. social media trends
5. mass-checking of lists generated using various methods
6. historically expired (deleted) domains
7. real-life observations e.g. when travelling
8. typo generators
9. taking a core word and working "around" it (phrases, portmanteaus, modifications)
10. one of the many lists published online by creative domainers ;)

Last edited:
•••
One area I started dabbling in and stopped due to time constraints was going through patent lists and cross checking TM's and seeing if anything caught my eye - not necessarily the exact match of the patent but whether it threw up some potential new areas for further exploration, if there where no TM's in place I would check out how much potential it had for being developed in the future, if there was a niche/sector in place already or a how likely one would be developed and regged the EMD in a couple of cases.....

They are long term holds in areas that might or might not happen so very speculative and possibly not the best use of my time but was very interesting reading.......but if you find patents in current hot niches there could be unknown keywords that have yet to make it to the research papers, journals, news or the eyes of people looking for new keywords that might be worth looking at further...

I have a handful so it won't break the bank and happy to sit on them and monitor the areas they cover for a while

I do like a punt on the potential future......

•••
I agree with your intention. And end users even buy 20 letter domains for 10s of thousands of dollars, but here he is trying to figure out how to hand register domains and you are showing an example of a plural on an abbreviation.

I know it is a group of asset class, built it is like abbreviation Banking, Insurance and Financial Services as BFSIS

It will always be BFSI
When you speak of it, you might speak as BFSIs. BFSIS.com will always be weird compared to BFSI

First the Assets is already a Plural and is has been shorted.

I am just saying how I would think as a buyer.

But as a fellow domainer, I wish you only success. And hence my 2 bit.
I will be the happiest if you sold it for XX,XXX or even more.

I only feel sad when I sell something for cheap it gets resold for higher. ;)
But I wish everyone only the best

Thank you,

I don't want to digress for too long as it detracts from the thread, but I could give you hundreds of examples where,

Central Bank Digital Currency = CBDC
Central Bank Digital Currencies = CBDCs

e.g https://www.bis.org/publ/work880.pdf

Do you see where i'm coming from?

Value Stable Crypto Asset = VSCA
Value Stable Crypto Assets = VSCAs

My point was even if you're early to react to a piece of news, there's no guarantee it will be adopted and subsequently be of any value.

Like being a good Poker player, some like to think it's about luck, some like to think its down to skill. I think its a bit of both. You've got to put yourself into a winning position to even have a chance.

Last edited:
•••
I think of names that endusers could like

Sometimes If you go too out of the box ran the risk of coming up with unsellable domains

•••

Has it worked for you?
@abstractdomainer please do not hand-reg, you will only lose money. Unless you are extremely clever (only you know that), but in general, only a few people in millions are :) Most are massively losing money.

•••
99.9% of end users will get creative or spend big dollars on advertising to avoid paying a premium price for a domain. So for them to open their wallet, your domain needs to be truly unique and still not ridiculously priced. Imagine an end user looking for a domain for a business for a florist. Go to Afternic, DAN or Go daddy Auctions and see how many domains there are with the word, flower, floral, florist, etc. How many under $100 options are available using Godaddy's suggestion tool?

•••
Current trends and get in marketing quickly. Very recently ( last 4 months) regged 10 exact match based names,2 and 3 words and up to 19 letters. Outlay around $70, return to date $4300 and still a few names left that may or may not find a buyer.
Does not happen very often- but it does happen!

•••
I love to hand reg domains..takes creativity
I hand reg these domains last week
meatmeatless.com
redneckguy.com
toobusytodie.com
gardenigloos.com
papamurphyssucks.com
airporttourism.com
legalizeblackness.com
nybcf.com
financialcensorship.com
religioncensorship.com
reversecensorship.com
defendcop.com

•••
you go spy labor day deals at bestbuy and happen to be bombarded by "QLED TVs"

•••
I tend to read a lot of research papers, scientific publications, and reports to get inspiration for domain names to register. I think that to be ahead of everyone in certain areas requires more than reading articles from news channels like Forbes, it requires getting the information from the same or from similar places like the news channels do.

The best would be to get the freshest reports from ResearchAndMarkets.com, but those can get very expensive.

•••
I love to hand reg domains..takes creativity
I hand reg these domains last week
meatmeatless.com
redneckguy.com
toobusytodie.com
gardenigloos.com
papamurphyssucks.com
airporttourism.com
legalizeblackness.com
nybcf.com
financialcensorship.com
religioncensorship.com
reversecensorship.com
defendcop.com

WASTE OF MONEY AND EFFORTS. THESE NAMES NEVER SELL

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back