IT.COM

advice How do people make a living selling domain names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Savon

Established Member
Impact
Im very new to domain flipping and have been reading some post from this forum. I have read that people with high quality portfolios only sell 1 to 5 percent of there profolio. So my question is how do people make a living selling domain names?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Some points for new domainers......

Researching the value of names before buying anything.
Buy 1 or 2 names and then try and sell them, dont register a lot of names before you sell some, you have to renew them every year remember
Have some potential buyers before buying a name.
Stick to strong extensions like .COM
Focus on a niche you are familiar with
Check out namebio.com to see what type of names sell.
Don't overprice your names
Don't use Estibot and other automated appraisal tools, they dont mean anything.
Stay away from numbers and dont mix numbers & letters in domains
Stay away from company names (trademarks) ie: FordCars.com, AppleDeals.com, AndroidPhones.com etc
Stay away from hyphens

Hope that helps

•••
Very few make their entire living on domains. You have to have a very top level portfolio to do that. Most do this for supplemental income or as a hobby.

•••
There is an appeal to domain names sales that can be alluring until, the likelihood of sales, profits and ROI are realistically factored into that allure.

The reality for many domain sellers is a lot of hard work and some expenses to acquire potentially salable domains and then more hard word to locate potential buyers and achieve a profitable sale.

Read the sales" threads in this Forum, see what sells, what formats or platforms were used and carefully try to build a personal domain acquisition /sales strategy.

Go easy into domains after assessing your own risk capital and time to commit to domain sales.

•••
Buy registration fee find top buyer to pay your retail price.

•••
How do people make a living selling domain names?

Hi

a living,
is made by earing enough income thru domain sales or monetization efforts, that will sustain, support or exceed your current standard of living, plus the cost to maintain the portfolio.

selling 1% to 5% of a portfolio, per year, is a vague and unknown value,
because....
the percentage doesn't factor actual number of domains held by any respective person, nor does it contain any pricing for the percent of domains sold.

imo….

•••
Im very new to domain flipping and have been reading some post from this forum. I have read that people with high quality portfolios only sell 1 to 5 percent of there profolio. So my question is how do people make a living selling domain names?

They have exceptional portfolios.

If you're sitting on a pile of 4-8 letter singular dictionary .COM words, selling 1-5% will amount to a shitload of money. Then you take a portion of that money to live on, and invest the remainder in premium domains at wholesale prices.

Last edited:
•••
Some points for new domainers......

Researching the value of names before buying anything.
Buy 1 or 2 names and then try and sell them, dont register a lot of names before you sell some, you have to renew them every year remember
Have some potential buyers before buying a name.
Stick to strong extensions like .COM
Focus on a niche you are familiar with
Check out namebio.com to see what type of names sell.
Don't overprice your names
Don't use Estibot and other automated appraisal tools, they dont mean anything.
Stay away from numbers and dont mix numbers & letters in domains
Stay away from company names (trademarks) ie: FordCars.com, AppleDeals.com, AndroidPhones.com etc
Stay away from hyphens

Hope that helps
Excellent tips and very good domains. Concentrated on VR, 4L

•••
Thus far I've discovered its not easy finding available domains you see potential in on a budget. Also development can be key to maximize resale value. As stated previously start with a couple names and have a clear understanding of why you purchased.

•••
Very hardly anyone is very new to domain names and can make living from it. It take years of great effort, constant learning, and you need to build decent portfolio, and even then nothing is guaranteed. IN 99,99% of cases imo you will loose money, not make them.

So my advice would be: have another source of income, and build your porftolio and skills in time. And after some time (months or 5 years or 25 years, depends on you) you can think of something more ... you will see in time how you are doing in domaining :)

•••
ok, if there is a time machine sent I back to Year 2005, I can make a living via selling domain....now, I think for people just join, either u have tons of money(is so, why domain?) to invest for LLL.com NNN.com NNNN.com, or you are truely smartest guy....

easy, just look domaining as hobby, enjoy reading and learning here, someday, u may lucky enough....😃😃

•••
My only source of income is domaining and in my portfolio 450 domains 70% hand reg and 30% mix (closeout and auction)
Because i live in pakistan and here $1 = 150Rs

•••
It takes years of hard work, time, patience, dedication and money to be living solely on domain income.
I've been into full time domaining for around a decade and living solely on doman income for last many years. Also recently I moved from Pakistan to Malaysia with my family solely based on this business. So yes, it is possible to achieve everything you want but you've got to know what you're doing along with the factors I mentioned above.

Also I think it's important to consider that not only quality of domains can help you to sustain and keep things moving smoothly. You must have BOTH quality and quantity at the same time to keep the ball rolling.

As of now, I've 3,200 domains in my portfolio and if I take top 50 domains out of and think of living the same quality of life, it would be really difficult because I don't do outbound and wait for the endusers to knock my door first. Also my pricing is always targeted towards endusers so it takes time for the right buyer to buy my domain.

•••
It takes years of hard work, time, patience, dedication and money to be living solely on domain income.
I've been into full time domaining for around a decade and living solely on doman income for last many years. Also recently I moved from Pakistan to Malaysia with my family solely based on this business. So yes, it is possible to achieve everything you want but you've got to know what you're doing along with the factors I mentioned above.

Also I think it's important to consider that not only quality of domains can help you to sustain and keep things moving smoothly. You must have BOTH quality and quantity at the same time to keep the ball rolling.

As of now, I've 3,200 domains in my portfolio and if I take top 50 domains out of and think of living the same quality of life, it would be really difficult because I don't do outbound and wait for the endusers to knock my door first. Also my pricing is always targeted towards endusers so it takes time for the right buyer to buy my domain.

Symphony.com was one sweet sale. Congrats on the move.

•••
Symphony.com was one sweet sale. Congrats on the move.

Absolutely! That was and will always remain my best domain sale.
Thank you my friend! :happy: (y)

•••
•••
•••
Hi, don't get into buying and selling before reading up on how others do it to.

then you can try selling with just a few domains for now.

Alot of domain beginners get exited and buy 50+ domains just because in their eyes these domain names 'sound good'.

It is not about them sounding good, but other things such as the demand they have for them from potential buyers.

Look on Sedo to see what sells, and get a vibe for what domains sell better than others, and why they sell better.

Avoid hyphens Dont-Register-this for example, and trademark names can potentially lead you in some legal hot water by the company name you are using, so don't use a trademark in your domain.

Take time to research, rather than rushing into buying a bunch of useless domains due to the 'new domain excitement' phase :xf.grin:

Read other peoples success stories to see how others are doing this.

and most of all this process takes time

good luck!

•••

the statement "I don't do outbound" caught my attention, did you start out that way, or you stop outbounding at some point, i ask because I've been in the industry for over a year, yet to make a sale, and i believe outbound would involve a lot of spamming which is not a very good option especially considering the part of the world i reside.

•••
the statement "I don't do outbound" caught my attention, did you start out that way, or you stop outbounding at some point, i ask because I've been in the industry for over a year, yet to make a sale, and i believe outbound would involve a lot of spamming which is not a very good option especially considering the part of the world i reside.

I don't remember exactly but I stopped doing outbound at the end of 2013 or 2014. Before that I used to do outbound actively and sold domains. Since stopping, I've rarely done outbound just a few emails I would say. My target was to stop doing outbound at one stage when I feel confident of selling domains without concentrating on outbound and receiving direct inquiries and sell via Sedo and Afternic.

Today I'm in a position where I don't need to look back and do outbound and simply rely on inbound inquiries and BIN sales which mostly happen via Afternic and occasionally via Sedo.

•••
Buy registration fee find top buyer to pay your retail price.
Hi,
Whould you like to tell me some places to find top buyers OR top investors to sell domains to them. Thanks

•••
Hi,
Whould you like to tell me some places to find top buyers OR top investors to sell domains to them. Thanks
Google if your domain is generic and write to the people buying that keyword or top investors create a thread here the largest domain forum. I wouldn't buy anything for resale if I had no clue.

Last edited:
•••
Back