IT.COM

advice How do I value this?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

hohoho

Established Member
Impact
I'm in a bit of an odd situation, but wanted to get some feedback on this. Using a throwaway because I'm not keen on people knowing who I am.

I'm a techie based in Belgium. Last year, I finally managed to register "firstname".be (i.e. my first name). It was previously owned by a business -- the owner closed down the business, retired and let the domain expire. The domain had not been available for registration during the last 15 years: happy me!

However, almost immediately after setting up the domain I noticed I started receiving (many) e-mails not intended for me, but for another company. As it happens, this was a company (approx. $120 million in annual revenues, but not that known) that rebranded to "firstname" 12 month prior to me acquiring the domain. They are focused on the BE market but do want to expand internationally with this brand.

I reached out to the CEO to let them know and asked to notify their clients to use the correct e-mail address, but that seemingly didn't change anything even though he said he would let them know. They expressed interest in acquiring the domain name -- since I'm not that interested in selling I put out a random mid five figure number, but that was too much in their opinion. We left it at that.

I consulted with a top notch IP lawyer and it seems unlikely they can ever claim the domain, even if they trade under the same name. However, if at some point they do come knocking again -- how do I value this? It's currently not a very tech driven business (i.e. the owner is in his 60s and it's a brand of a $120m business, but not an online business) but I believe at some point (perhaps next CEO) might come back to me.

So aside from good negotiating, what is a realistic value for this? Low five figures? High five figures? Six figures?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Welcome to NP, there is an appraisal section for domains, anyway without knowing the domain its difficult to put an estimate, if random mid five figure number was too much you can try random mid four figure number.

•••
Honestly, since it's my first name I didn't really buy it as an investment. Even though a mid four figure number would be an excellent ROI, I'd rather keep it. I'm using the domain for e-mail at the moment and am happy with that.

But if the offer is good enough I can obviously find better uses for the money, especially as the gain would be tax free in Belgium. But in no hurry to sell.

•••
From your explanation, I think mid five figure would be okay for this name. But considering that this company is not keen to invest in domain at this time, a low five figure would be a win-win deal.

•••
I'm in a bit of an odd situation, but wanted to get some feedback on this. Using a throwaway because I'm not keen on people knowing who I am.

I'm a techie based in Belgium. Last year, I finally managed to register "firstname".be (i.e. my first name). It was previously owned by a business -- the owner closed down the business, retired and let the domain expire. The domain had not been available for registration during the last 15 years: happy me!

However, almost immediately after setting up the domain I noticed I started receiving (many) e-mails not intended for me, but for another company. As it happens, this was a company (approx. $120 million in annual revenues, but not that known) that rebranded to "firstname" 12 month prior to me acquiring the domain. They are focused on the BE market but do want to expand internationally with this brand.

I reached out to the CEO to let them know and asked to notify their clients to use the correct e-mail address, but that seemingly didn't change anything even though he said he would let them know. They expressed interest in acquiring the domain name -- since I'm not that interested in selling I put out a random mid five figure number, but that was too much in their opinion. We left it at that.

I consulted with a top notch IP lawyer and it seems unlikely they can ever claim the domain, even if they trade under the same name. However, if at some point they do come knocking again -- how do I value this? It's currently not a very tech driven business (i.e. the owner is in his 60s and it's a brand of a $120m business, but not an online business) but I believe at some point (perhaps next CEO) might come back to me.

So aside from good negotiating, what is a realistic value for this? Low five figures? High five figures? Six figures?

its not a .com

I sold similar names
not first names but similar
in terms of company name
.nl and .us
between 4.500 and 8.500 usd

•••
Belgium is a small market, so .be domains don't routinely sell for 5 figures.

I don't think it was a good idea to contact the previous holder and scare them about the misdirected E-mail. This could even backfire if some ambulance chaser suggests that they use your own outbound correspondence to sue you.

You say you bought the name for your own use, but they could argue that a. you contacting them and b. your willingness or eagerness to sell indicates otherwise.

•••
Not quite. I'm using the e-mail account from the domain as my personal e-mail account.

Before I reached out I checked the requirements the registrar uses to potentially transfer domains during disputes, and there is no way they can comply with those requirements, in particular because I am using the domain for personal e-mail (and hosting files). I also had my personal name many moons before they changed their trading name. My IP lawyer confirmed this (he also rules on domain disputes as a third party, so he has a good understanding of the requirements).

In addition, I talked about this over the phone with the company. I definitely did not seem eager in my e-mails -- merely stating that I get many incorrect emails that I currently just delete, and it would be a good idea if they let their customers know to double check their addresses. They then asked me if I was interested in selling.

Last edited:
•••
you threw out a number,now ask him to throw out a number.that way you will each know where the other stands.you did say he was interested in buying it.

•••
OK, you were concerned that you were receiving this other companies emails. And it was them that raised the subject of buying the name. So far so good - But, I do wonder what the business relevance of those emails you received really were. And maybe the motivation for you initiating that contact. Lets not forget they hadn't been bothered by the previous owner of the domain for the past 15 years getting their misdirected emails (or just being rejected as a non-valid address)

I will give you the benefit of the doubt, But, why have you got a catch-all email set-up ? Surely you would look better by using a mail set up that rejected any "unintended emails"

Lastly and it's obvious don't get caught-out by looking to make a tidy profit out of this email stuff, It happens all the time as domains acquire new owners. It does seem to me that you may think you have picked-up a pot of gold ....RESIST those thoughts.

Don't instigate any further contact. By all means list the domain for sale if you wish but, don't leave yourself in a difficult to defend situation

Last edited:
•••
OK, you were concerned that you were receiving this other companies emails. And it was them that raised the subject of buying the name. So far so good - But, I do wonder what the business relevance of those emails you received really were. And maybe the motivation for you initiating that contact. Lets not forget they hadn't been bothered by the previous owner of the domain for the past 15 years getting their misdirected emails (or just being rejected as a non-valid address)

I will give you the benefit of the doubt, But, why have you got a catch-all email set-up ? Surely you would look better by using a mail set up that rejected any "unintended emails"

Lastly and it's obvious don't get caught-out by looking to make a tidy profit out of this email stuff, It happens all the time as domains acquire new owners. It does seem to me that you may think you have picked-up a pot of gold ....RESIST those thoughts.

Don't instigate any further contact. By all means list the domain for sale if you wish but, don't leave yourself in a difficult to defend situation

I see no reason why I shouldn't use catch all
on my email account
if I want so

•••
Not quite. I'm using the e-mail account from the domain as my personal e-mail account.

Before I reached out I checked the requirements the registrar uses to potentially transfer domains during disputes, and there is no way they can comply with those requirements, in particular because I am using the domain for personal e-mail (and hosting files). I also had my personal name many moons before they changed their trading name. My IP lawyer confirmed this (he also rules on domain disputes as a third party, so he has a good understanding of the requirements).

In addition, I talked about this over the phone with the company. I definitely did not seem eager in my e-mails -- merely stating that I get many incorrect emails that I currently just delete, and it would be a good idea if they let their customers know to double check their addresses. They then asked me if I was interested in selling.

guess you are safe

I would send them a few important looking emails
as attachent
and tell them you can't so forever for free

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back