IT.COM

question How do I find a domain name owner when there is no email or contact phone in Whois?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

manynames

Established Member
Impact
I've got a domain name I'm interested in buying for a local church. At best, it's valued in the low $X,XXX - mid $X,XXX based on other similar names via namebio. The name is pointed at a parking page that isn't resolving right now.

The only issue is that when I search for the WHOIS information, the contact email and phone number are missing. The owner registered via a Chinese hosting company.

Is there a way I can figure out this contact info? Are there firms I can pay to help?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are various ways of sleuthing.

The Chinese hosting company might be able to help, if you contact them. If they are responsible folks, hopefully they would forward your request to them.

Did you consider checking the various marketplaces, including Afternic, Sedo, Daaz, and Ename (for China), to see if it listed on any of them?

An unlikely source of potential info could be archive.org on the wayback machine,. If there was any fairly recent web page was present, there might be contact information on one of those pages. You could send an email to that contact, to see if they are the owner or know who bought the domain.

Finally, do keep in mind that unless it is a very large church, the budget for a domain may tend to be more in the $xx or $xxx range! There are always alternative names that may less expensive and equally effective. So don't be afraid to think "outside of the box!"

Good luck with your search!

•••
If it isn’t resolving to anything its probably not actively for sale. You can contact through the privacy email provided in the whois.

I would not lead with the church story. Many people contact registrants as churches charities and poor sudents. That kind of sentiment true or not can get you ignored.

•••
I've got a domain name I'm interested in buying for a local church. At best, it's valued in the low $X,XXX - mid $X,XXX based on other similar names via namebio. The name is pointed at a parking page that isn't resolving right now.

The only issue is that when I search for the WHOIS information, the contact email and phone number are missing. The owner registered via a Chinese hosting company.

Is there a way I can figure out this contact info? Are there firms I can pay to help?
1-st you may share URL here to be more clear (some risk if it's rare domain or so, but may help)
2-nd if name costs, as wroted above, ask for brokers like https://www.godaddy.com/en-ca/domains/domain-broker or even post here(but again it's may be risky or may work fine, I have never used brokers) https://www.namepros.com/forums/domain-broker-wanted.258/

Last edited:
•••
The Chinese hosting company might be able to help
Thats It Martin Short GIF by PBS SoCal

•••
At best, it's valued in the low $X,XXX - mid $X,XXX based on other similar names via namebio.
Namebio is mostly an aggregator of expired auction sales, thus its data is the value domain sellers pay when they acquire domains, not the value they sell them for.

•••
try the whois system on the registrars site.

•••
There are various ways of sleuthing.

The Chinese hosting company might be able to help, if you contact them. If they are responsible folks, hopefully they would forward your request to them.

Did you consider checking the various marketplaces, including Afternic, Sedo, Daaz, and Ename (for China), to see if it listed on any of them?

An unlikely source of potential info could be archive.org on the wayback machine,. If there was any fairly recent web page was present, there might be contact information on one of those pages. You could send an email to that contact, to see if they are the owner or know who bought the domain.

Finally, do keep in mind that unless it is a very large church, the budget for a domain may tend to be more in the $xx or $xxx range! There are always alternative names that may less expensive and equally effective. So don't be afraid to think "outside of the box!"

Good luck with your search!

My plan is to buy the domain name and give it to them for free, regardless of price (within reason). Thanks for the other suggestions, trying some of those now.

If it isn’t resolving to anything its probably not actively for sale. You can contact through the privacy email provided in the whois.

I would not lead with the church story. Many people contact registrants as churches charities and poor sudents. That kind of sentiment true or not can get you ignored.

Agreed. I wasn't going to mention anything about planning to use it, I was just planning to try and buy it and not mention that unless asked.

1-st you may share URL here to be more clear (some risk if it's rare domain or so, but may help)
2-nd if name costs, as wroted above, ask for brokers like https://www.godaddy.com/en-ca/domains/domain-broker or even post here(but again it's may be risky or may work fine, I have never used brokers) https://www.namepros.com/forums/domain-broker-wanted.258/

I want to hold off on sharing the domain name for now. Good points re: brokers as well. Thanks.

Namebio is mostly an aggregator of expired auction sales, thus its data is the value domain sellers pay when they acquire domains, not the value they sell them for.

Very good point.

try the whois system on the registrars site.

The whois information through the registrars site doesn't have their contact info or phone number at all.

•••
Note that sometimes a whois database is inaccurate. I found the most reliable was lookup.icann.org.
The registrar is likely your best bet, if there isn't a proxy email setup.

As for the overall idea of buying a domain for a church, my hope would be that you check with that organization first. My experience in the past has been that a religious organization may be perfectly content with using their perhaps less than optimal domain name.

In other words, a different domain name may really not matter that much to them. If they are excited by the idea, great. Otherwise, they may simply prefer the cash donation instead of what you would have spent on it.

So, good luck finding the right answers with your noble quest.

Last edited:
•••
•••
lookup.icann.org
Yeah, I've tried this one as well, but still no contact information. Very bizarre.

Thanks for the suggestions and good point about the less expensive domain name. I gave them some alternatives that could be hand registered.

Even the emails to this Chinese domain registrar have bounced.

•••
Yeah, I've tried this one as well, but still no contact information. Very bizarre.

Thanks for the suggestions and good point about the less expensive domain name. I gave them some alternatives that could be hand registered.

Even the emails to this Chinese domain registrar have bounced.
Great job! The alternatives, or even their current domain, may end up being fine for them.
Your posting is a reminder for current domain owners, that having barriers to contact will not help a potential sale. The "privacy on" features sometimes really seem to completely block communication with a registrant.

That's unfortunate in your case, if this was a great domain that could have possibly been sold at a fair price---and then help a church do their good deeds in the world.

•••
You only have to turn off your WHOIS option from your dashboard

•••

Good evening Umers.

I appreciate why you may not wish to share the name here, but if you were in a position to share the general gist of the domain name or keyword etc then I'm sure that some of the Members here may have better and/or cheaper domain names for sale.

Try thinking outside of the collection box and just maybe the Lord may provide you with a domain name.

If you don't ask you may never know.

Rgrds,

Reddstagg

•••
•••

Use archive.org and search the history of the domain for ant contact info.

•••

When encountering a situation where the WHOIS information for a domain is incomplete or unavailable, it can indeed pose a challenge in trying to contact the domain owner directly. However, there are a few steps you can take:

1. WHOIS Privacy Protection: In some cases, the owner might have opted for WHOIS privacy protection services offered by the registrar or hosting company. This service masks their contact information to protect their privacy. In such cases, contacting the domain owner directly through the WHOIS data may not be possible.

2. Domain Brokerage Services: If the domain is of significant value and you're willing to pay for professional assistance, you can consider engaging domain brokerage services. These firms specialize in buying and selling domains, and they may have access to resources and contacts that can help you acquire the domain or facilitate communication with the owner.

3. Domain Marketplace Platforms: Explore domain marketplace platforms where domains are bought and sold. These platforms may have additional information about the domain, including contact details or the ability to make inquiries through their systems.

4. Professional Legal Assistance: If you encounter significant obstacles in acquiring the domain or obtaining contact information, you may want to consult with an attorney or legal professional specializing in domain-related matters. They can guide you through the process, advise on potential courses of action, and help with any legal implications.

Remember that domain acquisition can sometimes be a complex and competitive process. It's important to approach it with patience and explore the available options to maximize your chances of successfully acquiring the desired domain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back