Domain Empire

How did you get into domaining?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I'm curious to know the stories behind how others ended up in this business. Care to share?

I'll start the ball rolling. I came at this sort of through the backdoor. Unlike most people that start off with money they want to invest, I started out with a few domains that I had acquired for a business as an end user. They were all along the lines of CityService.com and ServiceCity.com and when it was time to move away from the city where I lived, I had the "brilliant" and "original" idea that my competitors might have an interest in acquiring those domains. At that point, I had never heard of domaining or even heard of anyone selling a domain. Moreover, I had no idea what I should charge for them but I figured I would give it a shot and try to get as much for them as possible. So, I sent out 40 emails and lo and behold I managed to get one sale. Several months later, I tried again and sold 3 more. That's when I realized that there was potential for a business so I reinvested the earnings from those sales and have been doing this full time for the last 3 years. The End. :)

Your turn...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Got tired of the robots playing around in the stock market so looked for an online business where there is a lot going on and ta-da!

•••
Got tired of the robots playing around in the stock market so looked for an online business where there is a lot going on and ta-da!

You're significantly more succinct than I am. :)

•••
Somewhat similar story here...
We purchased .in name for our Biz & when learned that the .com is King, tried to contact the .com owner and...WHAT!!? he threw this crazy amount!!
During that process we came across this beautiful tool- WHOIS!, and it set the spark!!
N NamePros has been Oxygen.
Fuel!?.....ofcourse GD codes!! :P

Traveld few milestones and way to goooooo!

•••
I was researching alternative investments and came across articles about domains. I did research for days, became fascinated with the industry and the success stories that touched my passion of Direct Sales (B2B, Cold Calling, etc)

I came across NamePros shortly after, did a lot more reading, got a lot more insulted by the low/regfee appraisals in the forums for my domains, thought they were haters on my $xx,xxx regfee names.

Last edited:
•••
Searched 'how to make money online' on Google and voila!

I'm not a good writer so I didn't even think about being a blogger. It's either I do domaining or I'll die from starvation hahaha.

But seriously, there's something magical in domaining that I can't explain. It's actually addicting but it's an addiction that you won't regret.

Gonna smoke domain names later. :)

•••
Back in 2011,got an enquiry from Godaddy domain buy service for a domain registered for my personal use,sold it for $1,500.next googled for "domain name forums"and landed at NamePros.:)now it's more than a hobby.

•••
I got started too late. I started with .IR domains and then got into gTLDs from too years ago. I don't invest much in domaining and I won't do risk that much. So, I just get very good names only.

Johnny

•••
•••
I can't remember the exact circumstances, but back in 1999 I was registering domain names for my own use ($6/year at namebargain). As par of my research, I studied the process by which expired domain names become available again. The next step was manual dropcatching of course, and pushing it further.
I was a member on the old Afternic. I joined forums only in 2005, before I did not even know domaining forums existed. I had been domaining without knowing it :P

•••
•••
I have some spare time at the military, so as one person wrote above, I just googled "how to make money online. I came across freelancing, domaining and few more possibilities. I chose domaining and now all the dead time is invested to this profession, hoping to end my service at the military with some cash in my pockets !

•••
•••
•••
•••
Wanted to form a startup in Malaysia. So bought a few .my extensions and thought it may rank well in Malaysia. Met Derek Gehl and he said .com is king. Curious, I research more on domains and found that domains are traded like real estate, thus join Namepros community :)

•••
•••
Someone offered me $2K for a domain I had registered. Had not occurred to me you could resell domains for a profit, I was just building a web site to display projects my sons and I had worked on.

•••
a co-worker came to my office one day and asked me to check out an "online money making catalog" website

when I asked her why she came to me, she said "in a dream that God, told her to ask me"

no lie!

so, I did some research and told her that basically it was a money hole and not a wise investment to make.

however, while doing a search on the url, I found dnf, which at the time was domainnameforum in 2002.

that's when I registered my first domain and a year later, NP was born.

:)

•••
a co-worker came to my office one day and asked me to check out an "online money making catalog" website

when I asked her why she came to me, she said "in a dream that God, told her to ask me"

no lie!

so, I did some research and told her that basically it was a money hole and not a wise investment to make.

however, while doing a search on the url, I found dnf, which at the time was domainnameforum in 2002.

that's when I registered my first domain and a year later, NP was born.

That's a great story. Do you send your coworker a percentage of your profits?

•••
That's a great story. Do you send your coworker a percentage of your profits?

Thanks disco

by the time I started earning "residuals", that company closed and we went our separate ways.

i did keep a $100 bill in my wallet for a few years, hoping I'd run into her, but we haven't seen or heard from each other since.

but it was truly a blessing, that I will never forget. :)

BTW, her name was Mary.

•••
•••
I first was introduced to domains in 2001 when a computer genius i knew would help me with questions. He would get excited and tell me about LLL.com's he had, I didn't get the significance. I was more interested in building computers and flipping them as a hobby.

Then in 2011 or 2012 i saw that .xxx super bowl commercial. I thought because xxx related sites generate alot of money and the xxx industry may move to it's own extension. It's was a logical investment to me, so I registered 20 .xxx names "non graphic media related names" I have kept 3 over the years.

Then in 2013-2014 i was injured and had to keep busy while at home waiting to have surgery, I had a few future business ideas so i went and registered a bunch of names in that niche so i had options down the road.

Now I am a Domainer4Life / com ;)

Frank Schilling is my hero!

Happy Domaining!

Last edited:
•••
I actually bought a domain on ebay for like three bucks and parked it on sedo..forgot about it and then had an email from sedo a few months later saying i had a 700 dollar offer on the table from a buyer...took it...got me hooked

•••
In 2007, I was writing a book and needed to register the title of the book and my characters' names (In 2001, had already registered my own name).

I just kind of got caught up in it, regging reams of really bad names.

I linked on to my first domaining blog: Domaintools, then owned by Jay Westerdal, who was blogging quite regularly.

I found Namepros in 2008.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back