Dynadot

debate How correct is this quote from a domain name enduser?

NameSilo
Watch

Soofi

Love Domain NamesTop Member
Impact
A quote from Domain Name enduser;

One price that someone is willing to sell their domain name for and the other person is willing to pay the desired price. There’s no way to actually put a “value” on a domain name.

How correct/true is that? Does that mean, we as seller's have no command over our asset value and completely rely/depend on buyers mercy?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It’s a balance between overall demand and the individual buyers desire/needs

•••
What I suggest is you use "comps" and associate "digital assets" with physical ones "homes".
One of the first tools a real estate agent does is check the Comps in the area.
You need to utilize namebio and show sales with the keywords in that niche.
Educate your potential buyer.

Good luck

•••

How correct/true is that? Does that mean, we as seller's have no command over our asset value and completely rely/depend on buyers mercy?

Its kind of a true, to be honest the enduser has the final say... regardless of the domain.

though the seller can chose whatever price they want, but the odds of them selling it for a ridiculous price is going to be hard.
The problem about market in the domain industry is that their is no set supply or demand... Their are so many ways to choose a brand or domain name that it doesn't really matter if you get a .com Specail with Google taking control of the internet....
So you cant really have a set market price.
Yes .com is very popular but as each year goes by you can see the rising in many other extensions and alternatives for startups.

•••
It's simple supply and demand. Capitalism 101. No reason to try to look deeper into it when it's straightforward.

•••
It’s a balance between overall demand and the individual buyers desire/needs

What about my my asset, my rules? as is the case with other assets around us!

•••
What I suggest is you use "comps" and associate "digital assets" with physical ones "homes".
One of the first tools a real estate agent does is check the Comps in the area.
You need to utilize namebio and show sales with the keywords in that niche.
Educate your potential buyer.

Good luck

Comps dont really help as each keyword, geography, niche are different from each other tbh.. so what one does when you are faced with such a situation?

•••
Its kind of a true, to be honest the enduser has the final say... regardless of the domain.
though the seller can chose whatever price they want, but the odds of them selling it for a ridiculous price is going to be hard.

Dont we, as a seller, should have the final say? As is the case with other asset cases, where seller/owner says; stop, my way of the highway? ;)

The problem about market in the domain industry is that their is no set supply or demand... Their are so many ways to choose a brand or domain name that it doesn't really matter if you get a .com Specail with Google taking control of the internet....
So you cant really have a set market price.
Yes .com is very popular but as each year goes by you can see the rising in many other extensions and alternatives for startups.

I am afraid, I will have to agree on this one.. N number of options to choose from for enduser that if we dont cave in to their demand, we are on the verge of losing the deal, at any given point during the negotiations.

•••
It's simple supply and demand. Capitalism 101. No reason to try to look deeper into it when it's straightforward.

not so straightforward IMO :( Complicated much though!

•••
price and value, may not always be the same.

and I wouldn't ponder on the quote to extent you have.

imo….

•••
and I wouldn't ponder on the quote to extent you have.

When you are full time into this, you tend to ponder over a lot of relevant stuff ;) #bigup

•••
When you are full time into this, you tend to ponder over a lot of relevant stuff ;) #bigup

full time or not, one person's opinion shouldn't have so much weigh.... especially if they ain't buying

imo...

•••
full time or not, one person's opinion shouldn't have so much weigh.... especially if they ain't buying

imo...

Somewhat Agree with you one one-timers, however what if it was a quote from someone whose a regular buyer, for self and for his client projects?

•••
Dont we, as a seller, should have the final say? As is the case with other asset cases, where seller/owner says; stop, my way of the highway? ;)
The buyer could also say, my way or the highway.

It's give and take, otherwise there's no negotiating and it's all a head-on collision. The buyer has the money, the seller has the asset. But money is an asset too, which is ultimately what the seller is seeking. So who has the upper hand?

There's an old adage, "the customer is always right" very old school train of thought, but in reference to without the customer there is no business. Though, in my experience I have found that the customer is usually wrong, they just need to be educated.

•••
The buyer could also say, my way or the highway.

buyer can, in fact, anyone can for that matter ;)

It's give and take, otherwise there's no negotiating and it's all a head-on collision. The buyer has the money, the seller has the asset. But money is an asset too, which is ultimately what the seller is seeking. So who has the upper hand?

Having the asset, desired by one or plenty of entities, means seller should always have an upper-hand, no? :-D

There's an old adage, "the customer is always right" very old school train of thought, but in reference to without the customer there is no business. Though, in my experience I have found that the customer is usually wrong, they just need to be educated.

Bold & Underlined is pure gold!! :)

•••
not so straightforward IMO :( Complicated much though!

Yeah, it's complicated, but it's still basic capitalism in its core. The pricing economics for domains are no different than other goods and services. It reminds me of old antiques in auctions. No intrinsic value, but high prices because of the demand by rich people.

If there was no demand for antiques, they wouldn't be costly. Same is true for domains names and that's why you don't fetch high prices for .xyz, .biz etc. even though they are domain names just the same as a .com.

•••
Yeah, it's complicated, but it's still basic capitalism in its core.

Indeed!

The pricing economics for domains are no different than other goods and services.

I beg to differ here as I believe pricing of domain names are completely different from other goods and services as most are administered by a national entity (read government body here). While the pricing of domain names are administered/governed by an individual, on case by case basis.

No intrinsic value, but high prices because of the demand by rich people.

If there was no demand for antiques, they wouldn't be costly. Same is true for domains names and that's why you don't fetch high prices for .xyz, .biz etc. even though they are domain names just the same as a .com.

With you on this one, and I feel COM's, NET's & ORG's seems to me as if near extinction and wont ever be available again, though they are being bought/sold over and again, times and again lol

•••
however what if it was a quote from someone whose a regular buyer, for self and for his client projects?

if that's the case, then it's a moot point

because if they are a regular buyer, then they have to be negotiating somewhere down the line.

unless they are buying names at BIN pricing

however, to debate a quote, without the whole context of the convo, won't resolve to a conclusion

but within the quote, the last sentence, basically contradicts the first.

because if one is willing to sell at a price that the buyer is willing to pay, then obviously both have an idea of "worth or value" to them, which they equated with that price or amount.

logically speaking...

imo...

•••

Honestly, who cares about that? :) You should know value of your domain names, and be confident on the price you put on them. If end user does not like your price, he can purchase some another domain name..or pay your price, and get your domain name.

You are the owner, you are setting the prices, and you decide if you want to sell or to develop your names .. people can tell you many things, it does not matter at all.

•••

that depends on how many end-users
you potentially have for that domain name
and ho badly you need cash flow

upload_2019-11-3_0-41-22.png

Last edited:
•••
but within the quote, the last sentence, basically contradicts the first.

because if one is willing to sell at a price that the buyer is willing to pay, then obviously both have an idea of "worth or value" to them, which they equated with that price or amount.

nailed it biggie!!

I dont really spend my LIKES on namepros but you get 10's of thousands of them for this sentence ;)

•••
Honestly, who cares about that? :) You should know value of your domain names, and be confident on the price you put on them. If end user does not like your price, he can purchase some another domain name..or pay your price, and get your domain name.

You are the owner, you are setting the prices, and you decide if you want to sell or to develop your names .. people can tell you many things, it does not matter at all.

Don't really like that approach as a sound domain name investor, because we are invested to make returns on these babies and not really take 'em with us to the grave.

One has to settle in somewhere, in between to make things happening, regular returns coming in as not every day in the domaining is going to green for us!!!

•••
that depends on how many end-users
you potentially have for that domain name
and ho badly you need cash flow

This is on point Franka!! :)

It is indeed desperation or some wise-businessmen may call it regular ROI because their cash registers need to keep ringing, unlike the so called domain kings of the world, who sell one domain a year out of their 90's registered portfolio for six figures and offers free-entertainment to others, rest of the days (that's 364 days to be precise).

Not hating on first-movers or early-movers with above comment, but rest the free-flow of unwanted knowledge, at least!

Last edited:
•••
Don't really like that approach as a sound domain name investor, because we are invested to make returns on these babies and not really take 'em with us to the grave.

One has to settle in somewhere, in between to make things happening, regular returns coming in as not every day in the domaining is going to green for us!!!
Sure, but that then really depends on your timeframe - as for how long you are going to keep the names.

if you need to flip quickly, then end user will command everything. If you can hold and have confidence in your names, then you will command everything :)

My point is, that you are creating your own situation.

•••
My point is, that you are creating your own situation.

We do create our own situations but there are plenty of factors not in our control, that eventually create this situation though!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back