Dynadot

advice How best to reply

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

bytedo

Established Member
Impact
I managed to get through to a company CEO by joining a trade association which he belongs to and pmed him. He is a co founder of the company. He replied and said to contact his other co founder. Here is his reply below. I removed the names for obvious reasons.

"Thanks for reaching out to us. If you would, please send an email to [email protected] for xxxx xxxx. xxxx is the decision maker on the URL's and will at minimum, be happy to entertain the offer."

So i did as he suggested and below is the other CEO`s reply.

"We would not be interested in these unless they were super cheap. Having too many URLs just confuses people. But let me know if the price is right we might be able to do some business. Thanks, xxxx"

What is the best reply one can make to this? Its a delicate situation. Normally i would just shoot him a figure but sales have been lost before which I believe if the situation was better handled sales would have happened

Maybe not for the high tag initially hoped for but something still could have been worked out.

Thoughts please. Thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No one would know without the actual name. Also you need to find out how big the company is and explain to him why does he need the name.
There are too many factors involving in a negotiation.

•••
Having too many URLs just confuses people.

Well, I don't think he really believes that. If he did, he wouldn't want the extra domains at all. But then he says he wants them, if they are cheap. So I believe it's their tactics to buy them for cheap.

•••
when you "reach out" to end-users, you need to give price.

don't play games

either they will accept the amount, make a counter offer or they will walk.

but nothing will happen until you step up

Good Luck!
imo

•••
Well, I don't think he really believes that. If he did, he wouldn't want the extra domains at all. But then he says he wants them, if they are cheap. So I believe it's their tactics to buy them for cheap.

He is a serial entrepreneur mentioned in several Wikipedia pages. Founded and sold a digital company to an FTSE 500 company. Been in business for decades.Dude is no stranger to negotiations.

I just want to get the first response right. I have a feeling this is one of those one time shot negotiations. Shoot him a figure, wait for his response or ask him to shoot me one as its hard to know what is "super cheap" to him.

Would like to see exact responses.

•••
Thanks @biggie

I sometimes split test so that was the reason I didn't include prices with this particular email.
You are right, they either pay or hit the highway. Either way still wish them a nice day.

•••
No one else willing to say how exactly they would reply to this? I just would like various input and approaches.

•••
you need to build relationships, demonstrate respect, providing enough information, but not too much, inform the non domainer about purchasing domain will improve chances much of closing a deal

•••
Well I think he is propositioning you to give him a cheap price. I would ignore that and just give him the price you would be happy to sell the domain at, plus some wiggle room, because he is obviously going to negotiate you down. Also, he must like the domain, else he wouldn't have bothered to respond.

•••
Yes I think he is interested in the domains. The names really capture the essence of their business and industry.

Like I said, normally I would just mail him a price and see what happens but for some reason I am being hesitant to do that.

But I don't want to start lecturing him about why he needs the names or how they can help his business. He has been in the digital business for over 25 years and made a few millions from it. I don't think he needs anyone to tell him what his business needs to succeed.

I will reply him with prices and just say that I am confident that he knows the power of marketing and competitive advantage in business and these domains could help to achieve these aims.

•••
There is no script or a "choose your own adventure theory" here. you got to the main guy who makes the decisions. Now give him the price and let him make the decision. If he says no with out a counter. move on DO NOT HOUND HIM! simple

•••
Have you checked with Tess if there are any trademarks on the words in your domains? Are any of them owned by him or his company?

•••
But I don't want to start lecturing him about why he needs the names or how they can help his business. He has been in the digital business for over 25 years and made a few millions from it.

I do know many very successful webmasters and people in online business which think that domains are worth only a reg fee. ;)

Maybe you should reply "Do you mind if I call you?" And if he agree prepare yourself for reaction on his acting like this domain is not of big value to them.

It is impossible to give you appropriate answer on your thread question without knowing who they are, what they do, how much you need fresh funds, how much you paid for the domain, when it was regged, which extension it is, how "strong" contact with them you have and will you have the chance to negotiate further if you overprice your domain at first offer etc...

•••
Have you checked with Tess if there are any trademarks on the words in your domains? Are any of them owned by him or his company?

Trademark? lol. Where did this come from? They are just names of products he deals with and the service he provides.

He is not the kind of man to offer trademarked names to. He sued a company for giving him misleading investment advice.

•••
@mitok That's a nice idea trying to get him to discuss on the phone. Never considered that.

As for having more information before being able to give a more precise answer to the post, that was why I gave a brief background of the situation but I its true as you said, more things would have to be known.

I just replied him now and as I said I would do, I kept it short and simple. As for contacts, his co founder who I contacted first is now on my contact list and he confirmed me as contact too. So somehow I have a foot in the door no matter what reply the decision maker gives. Fairly confident a deal would happen

•••
I think you would have to give them a starting figure or a price point to enter into negotiations, however if you feel that you may quote too much or might leave money onthe table by quoting low, just ask for what exactly is super cheap in their opinion.

Going with the last option, you might be able to get what exactly they are willing to pay, and may have lil' room for negotiations left tbh.

Good luck and keep us all posted!

•••
Trademark? lol. Where did this come from? They are just names of products he deals with and the service he provides.

He is not the kind of man to offer trademarked names to. He sued a company for giving him misleading investment advice.

If he has any trademarks for any of the domains you are trying to sell him, he might be setting you up to take them from you in an UDRP. It seems he is not afraid of using the judicial/arbitration to get what he wants. If he has trademarks on your domains, I would never try to sell them to him. It's one of the first things I check.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back