How an empty S3 bucket can make your AWS bill explode

Spaceship
Watch

Future Sensors

78% of human domainers will be replaced by robotsTop Member
Impact
How an empty S3 bucket can make your AWS bill explode

Maciej Pocwierz

Imagine you create an empty, private AWS S3 bucket in a region of your preference. What will your AWS bill be the next morning?

A few weeks ago, I began working on the PoC of a document indexing system for my client. I created a single S3 bucket in the eu-west-1 region and uploaded some files there for testing. Two days later, I checked my AWS billing page, primarily to make sure that what I was doing was well within the free-tier limits. Apparently, it wasn’t. My bill was over $1,300, with the billing console showing nearly 100,000,000 S3 PUT requests executed within just one day!

Read more on Medium:

https://medium.com/@maciej.pocwierz...t-can-make-your-aws-bill-explode-934a383cb8b1

AWS.png

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Was an idiot in my early days, when accidently forgot to shutdown regional instances.

•••
I downgraded from AWS ec2 instances to AWS lightsail,
with a nice & free web control panel for all my sites.

Life feels different ... :xf.wink:

Espec. in the pocket.

•••
•••
Hopefully AWS will enhance / modify its dashboard a bit.

Make it more clear and easy.

AI, surely, will play a role in AWS' (Azures, Google Clouds) future updates.

Soon, there will be no need to use a service like vercel (with somewhat overpriced solutions) any more...

Last edited:
•••
Hopefully AWS will enhance / modify its dashboard a bit.

Make it more clear and easy.

AI, surely, will play a role in AWS' (Azures, Google Clouds) future updates.

Soon, there will be no need to use a service like vercel (with somewhat overpriced solutions) any more...

True, just need raw data, Ai will help dice it easily!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back