Domain Empire

discuss How a third party can verify a domain transfer between two other parties ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Anees Ahmad

Established Member
Impact
Imagine a domain transfer where A is the seller, B is the buyer and M is the party in the middle such as an escrow service.

A → M → B

1. M asks A to give the authentication key and B to make the payment.
  2. A gives the authentication key and B makes the payment to M.
  3. M gives the authentication key to B.
  4. B initiates and A accepts the transfer.
  5. B lets M know when the transfer is complete.
  6. Finally, M pays A the amount.
But there are two other possibilities that could only be prevented if M is able to verify the transfer.
  1. A can transfer the domain to a registrant other than B.
  2. B can claim they didn't receive the domain and ask for a refund from M.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I got a headache from trying to follow all that. :xf.eek:

Just start an escrow transaction with Epik.com and relax.

I have 3 names going through escrow at the moment there myself.

Last edited:
•••
I got a headache from trying to follow all that. :xf.eek:

Just start an escrow transaction with Epik.com and relax.

I have 3 names going through escrow at the moment there myself.

:xf.smile: Thanks for the reply. I was aware of Epik and similar escrow services but this is not for one specific transaction I want to do now. I wonders how that works and if possible I would like to add it to my future website.

•••
The third party can ask the person who is supposed to have received the domain to email a screenshot of a page within his registrar account, a shot which shows both the domain and his username/customer number.

•••
The third party can ask the person who is supposed to have received the domain to email a screenshot of a page within his registrar account, a shot which shows both the domain and his username/customer number.

Thank you for the answer.

But that method has some practical issues.
Screenshot is not a reliable method and we can't trust it to verify something crucial as a domain transfer.
If they have many number of domains, it may not fit into one page.

Last edited:
•••
Snapshots of WHOIS.
Before and after.

And true escrow companies mostly use another method...
They have their accounts at least with all major registrars, so domain can be pushed into escrow account and that's all.

•••
Snapshots of WHOIS.
Before and after.

And true escrow companies mostly use another method...
They have their accounts at least with all major registrars, so domain can be pushed into escrow account and that's all.
You mean they asks the seller to transfer the domain to their own account rather than to the buyer's account ?

•••
You mean they asks the seller to transfer the domain to their own account rather than to the buyer's account ?
Yes, the domain must be moved within current registrar into escrow hands.

•••
Yes, the domain must be moved within current registrar into escrow hands.

Yes. That must be the right way of doing it. I would like to know if you have used any escrow service.

Thanks again. :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back