Domain Empire

interviews How a premium domain name can increase your revenue, the inside story of Pillows.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
What a difference a domain makes. While premium domain names might seem pricey to some, when it comes to ROI they often end-up being one of the most effective investments you can make in your business.
I always find it’s interesting to go deeper into a sale to understand how a business decides to buy a premium domain and then the impact this has on their business. Below is an interview the CheapDomains.com team did with Crag Clark from Pillows.com on the acquisition of a domain that at the time was a stretch for their budget, and now is clearly one of the best moves they’ve made to grow their business. Enjoy!
Once we switched names, we thought it would take the rate of searches back to what it was with our previous name to be at least 3 months, but we were back on the same rate of searches in 45 days. In 2012, we saw 25% growth, attributable to the economy growing plus the brand improving. And that growth continued. We saw a big growth with our repeat customers. We had an average return of repeat customers of over 200% from where it originally was and that was definitely attributable to the brand.
A premium category killer domain name is worth a 6 figures plus price. There’s a finite existence of EMD domains that are credible and recognizable with the public. Other category killer domains like Diapers.com have done us a lot of favor in gaining so much brand recognition. You have to think about it like an investment in your brand versus a capital purchase. It’s a marketing expenditure that you’re getting immediate ROI tracking on. It’s giving your brand credibility and building your brand. If you’re an online company with a mediocre name, giving people something that is easy to remember will allow for repeat customers, who will also make the right referral to their friends...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
what was the sales price?

•••
CheapDomains - Pillows.com Am I missing something?
So when did cheap domains go to premium domains?

•••
Oh okay, I've had a look at cheap domains. I was thinking that they were selling a one word. Anyway...

Last edited:
•••
This was a great article, and very useful including for negotiations. (Did seem to need just a little bit of proofreading though.) I found it the other day before seeing it here on NP.

•••
Very interesting interview. I think some business owners under estimate the power that an EMD can provide. It seems to be that only tech savvy business owners really take the plunge with an investment like this.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back