Dynadot

HostGator vs BlueHost

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hey Guys,

I'm a complete newb to domaining and only have just purchased my first domain. I'm planning on getting into either flipping or niche sites, either way, I'll slowly collect more domains.

Which host would you pick? I narrowed down dozens to these two: HostGator or BlueHost. They are both affordable at around $6/mo or $8/mo and both seem to have identical features. I think BlueHost requires you to be with them for min of 1yr vs I can do month by month with HostGator.

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Both are good hosting provider but by checking their reviews i had found BlueHost have some good reviews as compared to hostgator you must check their review by your own and get better idea

•••
It depends what are your (as the end-user) requirements .

•••
I will NEVER advise anyone to use Hostgator again. HUGE downtime issue today, ALL my sites are still down so thanks to them there goes my whole work day.

I cannot stress this enough:

STAY AWAY FROM HOSTGATOR!!

•••
Go for BlueHost one of the best service that you wont find anywhere else. BlueHost is somewhat high in rate but definitely best.
If you're looking for some Cheap Web Hosting or Shared Web hosting then I would suggest you to Google it " $1 Web Hosting " you will get plenty of cheap web hosting providers Such as, Mytruehost,hostica,3ix,1dollar-webhosting.com, hostbandit.com, waxspace.com ,hostso.com,zettahost.com

Last edited:
•••
Go for BlueHost one of the best service that you wont find anywhere else. BlueHost is somewhat high in rate but definitely best.
If you're looking for some Cheap Web Hosting or Shared Web hosting then I would suggest you to Google it " $1 Web Hosting " you will get plenty of cheap web hosting providers Such as, Mytruehost,hostica,3ix,1dollar-webhosting.com, hostbandit.com, waxspace.com ,hostso.com,zettahost.com

We all know there're lots of cheap providers, some of them even offer 1 cent hosting etc. But when you're recommending to go to particular one, what your recommendation is based on? do you host website and having personal experience? please let us know details..

•••
I don't think there is any " vs " here as both companies belong to EIG aka they offer pretty much the same service / quality. Maybe going for something that is not owned by them is the real " VS ",,,

•••
I don't think there is any " vs " here as both companies belong to EIG aka they offer pretty much the same service / quality. Maybe going for something that is not owned by them is the real " VS ",,,

That's totally true :)

•••
Euro-Space > Yes I have exerience some of the companies Shared Hosting service, I have used Shared web hosting plans for my photography blogs, they are cheap at price but definitely very fast almost 99.9% uptime. having good 24x7 support, including some of the best, useful features which gives at free of cost, I have used shared web hosting service of Hostbandit,hostso,waxspace,zettahost

•••
Read the TOS at Bluehost. They ban nudity and adult content and if they think you have it they just shut you down - so some automated filter can find a photo of someone on the beach and shut you down. I would never risk using Bluehost.

Hostgator have gone down the toilet, now if they have outages they refuse to refund the month's charge that they promise do with their 99.9% uptime guarantee. Guess what, after it goes down and comes back up they claim in retrospect that it was scheduled maintenance and that the guarantee does not cover that. Except it does, according to their own TOS.

So you can't trust Hostgator to stay up or to fulfill their 99.9% uptime guarantee.

•••
Euro-Space > Yes I have exerience some of the companies Shared Hosting service, I have used Shared web hosting plans for my photography blogs, they are cheap at price but definitely very fast almost 99.9% uptime. having good 24x7 support, including some of the best, useful features which gives at free of cost, I have used shared web hosting service of Hostbandit,hostso,waxspace,zettahost

So are you still with all of them or not? if not where's your current website hosted? please share.
Thanks!

•••
Both Host Gator and Blue Host are EIG brands.

•••
•••
Blue Host and Host Gator are basically one in the same right now as both fall under the direction of EIG. Check out a few of the mid-sized lesser know providers for affordable hosting plans and service that is still focused on customer satisfaction.

•••
So are you still with all of them or not? if not where's your current website hosted? please share.
Thanks!

Yes currently my websites are hosted with Zettahost.com, and Waxspace.com
They both are really good

•••
I had a Hostgator reseller account for 2 years. Until recently, their service was very good. Their support declined and they wouldn't move me into a VPS and only would let me move to a dedicated server which I knew I didn't need. I am with Digital Ocean now and I love it... Check it out.

•••
I am talking about Plans with Unlimited hosted Domains as domainers would rarely host just one domain, so here it is
I personally preffered BlueHost over HostGator , now I know that both of them are EIG Brands, but even then there was a difference of service, Hostgator service was excellent a couple of years back , but it's deteriorated over time and that has been the case for BH too but I had less number of issues with BH,
I also had a VPS with godaddy, which was also not bad, and the pricing of Godaddy was the best with lots of 50-65% coupons always available.

I would recommend going for a mid sized recommended hosting company, but only use it if you really trust it.
Other wise go for Godaddy shared/dedicated hosting (if you have lots of traffic & data) if you are really concerned about price.
Bluehost is a go if you are concerned about quality, but let me warn you , recently lots of customers have started having the up-time issue, since sites are down, on both HG and BH

Hope it helps

•••
Yes currently my websites are hosted with Zettahost.com, and Waxspace.com
They both are really good

Your websites are on completely different provider as I see... but anyway, actually I was asking RobertFrench, or are you both same person here?

•••
Godaddy hosting disables the mailing function in php so your contact forms do not work.

•••
Godaddy hosting disables the mailing function in php so your contact forms do not work.

That could be crucial for most websites.. But I guess you can use smtp instead, or not?

•••
I would suggest Hostgator.com

Last edited:
•••
I like Hostgator. The best support ever. Realy fast hosting provider.
Currently i use Godaddy for my hosting (ultimate plan), but 43 port blocked (need for whois service)

BTW, how about DigitalOcean - $5/mo (512MBMemory, 1 CoreProcessor, 20GBSSD Disk, 1TBTransfer)

•••
I like Hostgator. The best support ever.

Seriously????? Have you used their support lately? Because my latest experience was with an idiot tech who BROKE a bunch of MY sites, while cluelessly attempting to fix an error caused by THEM not recreating a setting when they moved my sites to a different IP/server.

The problem was very OBVIOUSLY a permission issue related to getting data from a remote server.. To be exact, my pages had PHP code which invokes curl to display product listings from (Rakuten) Popshops. This is standard Popshops code and had been working like clockwork for YEARS until it suddenly stopped working. I verified that it was working fine on a site hosted elsewhere, so definitely a Hostgator issue.

When something "breaks" suddenly, the first thing you should always ask is "what changed?" And Hostgator had recently moved my sites...

So I opened a ticket carefully explaining the whole issue. What does support-drone do? Removes a bunch of my .htaccess files! D-: Because ...??? Broke a bunch of rewrites and redirects. Nice. Now on top of the missing products, I had entire URL's returning 404s. WTG.

Finally got Popshops talking to them - sure enough, problem with a setting on Hostgator's end.

Oh - and they didn't copy my .htaccess files back after their little "experiment". Left that to me.

If that support-drone were working for me I'd fire their a** for playing a guessing game with the client's account instead of escalating to someone with half a clue.

I still have an account with them (I have accounts at several hosts, some good, some not so much ... they're OK-ish if you don't need support), but they definitely went down the tubes since EIG took over. I can't imagine Bluehost is any better.

Last edited:
•••
Seriously????? Have you used their support lately? Because my latest experience was with an idiot tech who BROKE a bunch of MY sites, while cluelessly attempting to fix an error caused by THEM not recreating a setting when they moved my sites to a different IP/server.

The problem was very OBVIOUSLY a permission issue related to getting data from a remote server.. To be exact, my pages had PHP code which invokes curl to display product listings from (Rakuten) Popshops. This is standard Popshops code and had been working like clockwork for YEARS until it suddenly stopped working. I verified that it was working fine on a site hosted elsewhere, so definitely a Hostgator issue.

When something "breaks" suddenly, the first thing you should always ask is "what changed?" And Hostgator had recently moved my sites...

So I opened a ticket carefully explaining the whole issue. What does support-drone do? Removes a bunch of my .htaccess files! D-: Because ...??? Broke a bunch of rewrites and redirects. Nice. Now on top of the missing products, I had entire URL's returning 404s. WTG.

Finally got Popshops talking to them - sure enough, problem with a setting on Hostgator's end.

Oh - and they didn't copy my .htaccess files back after their little "experiment". Left that to me.

If that support-drone were working for me I'd fire their a** for playing a guessing game with the client's account instead of escalating to someone with half a clue.

I still have an account with them (I have accounts at several hosts, some good, some not so much ... they're OK-ish if you don't need support), but they definitely went down the tubes since EIG took over. I can't imagine Bluehost is any better.

Sorry to hear that. My Hostgator experience was two years ago in 2012 and i had no problem with them.

•••
Do not go to the sites that say top 10 hosting or anything of the likes because those are affiliate sites and for them the best host will be the one that pays them the most for passing you on to them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back