Dynadot

HostGator vs BlueHost

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hey Guys,

I'm a complete newb to domaining and only have just purchased my first domain. I'm planning on getting into either flipping or niche sites, either way, I'll slowly collect more domains.

Which host would you pick? I narrowed down dozens to these two: HostGator or BlueHost. They are both affordable at around $6/mo or $8/mo and both seem to have identical features. I think BlueHost requires you to be with them for min of 1yr vs I can do month by month with HostGator.

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Both are acceptable companies from my experience. Just stay away from 1&1 LOL

•••
Hey Guys,

I'm a complete newb to domaining and only have just purchased my first domain. I'm planning on getting into either flipping or niche sites, either way, I'll slowly collect more domains.

Which host would you pick? I narrowed down dozens to these two: HostGator or BlueHost. They are both affordable at around $6/mo or $8/mo and both seem to have identical features. I think BlueHost requires you to be with them for min of 1yr vs I can do month by month with HostGator.

Thanks!

At the Shared hosting level there's not going to be much difference.

If you're totally uncertain you could use free hosting such as 000Webhost which I don't use but friends of mine have.

You just missed the 50% HG sale yesterday. I think coupons will always take 30% or so off.

Always use a coupon for hosting :) Sometimes sign up and fail to check out and they will email an incentive.

Disclosure: I use HG and have never had an issue and support has always been quick (I use online support). For VPS/Cloud and more advanced hosting etc then choose something else like Linode or Rackspace that are better options for that (imho)

•••
Thanks for the quick reply. For HostGator, I did find some 25% off coupons so far. Just wanted to know what some of your opinions were on these guys..unless there's another shared host which may be even better.

•••
Thanks for the quick reply. For HostGator, I did find some 25% off coupons so far. Just wanted to know what some of your opinions were on these guys..unless there's another shared host which may be even better.

It's a toss up. People I know are on Bluehost with little complaint and Hostgator with little complaint.

Please have the mods merge this thread with the other one.. or close this one. The other one is in the right place.

•••
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I didn't know which place to ask my question. I'll see if I can close this thread. I'll probably go with HostGator.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Hey Guys,

Thanks!

I have a reseller account with bluehost my websites go down all the time. I don't have much for traffic but for some reason they throttle my websites. I am thinking about switching to HostGator. any one have similar experience with HostGator?

•••
I have a reseller account with bluehost my websites go down all the time. I don't have much for traffic but for some reason they throttle my websites. I am thinking about switching to HostGator. any one have similar experience with HostGator?

Depends why they go down. If you have the type of sites that should be on dedicated servers (i.e. CPU heavy) then any shared plan is going to throttle you eventually. They're not going to let you ruin the experience of their other clients on their generally overcrowded servers. Most sites are simple - but run too many heavy CMS and you 're screwing everyone. Things like Magento are too heavy for Shared.

You're not going to receive $20+/mnth service for $4/mnth anywhere, imho. But yes, people do get throttled on HG. They clearly state on your panel what your limits are though and where you stand.

•••
go for hostmantis, there's a 60% off coupon, get a reseller account for like 8-9usd a month like me and be happy

•••
Hm, Hostgator is expensive. :)

•••
A lot of people seem ambivalent about the whole "Bluehost vs. HostGator" debate. I'm not, and here is why: You want more than one domain.

If you know, FOR SURE, that you only want one domain, then yea HostGator is a better deal at 3.96 per month, while Bluehost's smallest plan is 4.95 per month (used be 3.95, it just went up!).

On the other hand, HostGator will charge you 6.36 per month for 2 or more domains. Bluehost's starter plan lets you host unlimited domains.

So bottom line, if you are going to get into flipping sites long term, which it sounds like you are, you should go with Bluehost and save the extra money every month. It can add up over the years. I've had them for a while now and customer service has always been great. Hope this helps.

•••
Hey guys and gals,

Which host would you pick?

BlueHost & Hostgator the same company

Wikipedia: Endurance_International_Group (cant post links)

•••
i did not know that... kinda funny and "wow" at the same time!

Hey guys and gals,

BlueHost & Hostgator the same company

Wikipedia: Endurance_International_Group (cant post links)

•••
Hostgator is a cool hosting they have an 99.9 uptime rate which is for real. I also like how they assist their customers with their inquiries and problems. I personally haven't experienced any dilemma with them so my vote is for hostgator.

•••
There is a lot of hosts, can you tell us why you select HG and BH ?
Back to topic, go with HG, as far as I know they are good :)

•••
Both run by same company and not one with good reputation. There was chaos for weeks when they were moving all accounts from these hosting services to their own data center. It would be interesting to see how good uptime will be now.

•••
Hey Guys,

Thanks!
GoDaddy's been great for me. Although I have a coupon code for 25% off HostGator if you're interested.

•••
According to many positive and negative reviews, listed companies on this thread do work well for some people, while others say they're terrible...

•••
EIG is back on both companies :)
both have worst support try some thing else :)

•••
HG support used to be one of the best, however, I had to leave them over 2 years ago after poor server performance (unlimited hosts are always oversold and overloaded), now that HG is owned by EIG, they are actually downgrading the hardware from their current supplier to whatever hardware EIG has in their datacenter.

OP, never go for an unlimited host, find a host, pay for what you need, and you will have a better hosting experience.

•••
Agree, unlimited plans on shared hosting in many cases are very bad, because of overloaded performance.
Good idea is to get a VPS or at least know limitations of shared hosting plans with your provider.

•••
well, actually, I dont think a VPS is needed for most. For most, a host using cloud linux that doesnt oversell, can provide nearly the same stability as a vps as Cloudlinux can prevent excess cpu and ram usage (only thing is that it doesnt prevent overloading of the sql server)

like if a host has 32 gb ram, they could assign to 32 clients each 1gb ram, and appropriate cpu limits each, and each one would have the advantages of shared (ie, dont need a cpanel license), but have nearly the same benefits of a VPS.

Of course... noone wants to pay for quality.

•••
Please Don't go with EIG. Nowadays they provide poor server performance due to overloaded servers.

there is lot of hosting options available in internet.

i personally suggest you to check WHT forum to select the best one.

all the best :)

•••
The average individual isn't going to know what hosts are owned by EIG - they are somewhat the hidden giant of the industry gobbling up webhosts.

But I would agree, that there probably isn't going to be much difference between brands owned by them if they are at the same datacentre and share support staff. So take reviews with a grain of salt when you see one host with stellar ratings and another with low ratings, when they are in fact the same company.

Found a list here.

For the record, I have some websites at HostGator and haven't had any major issues with them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back