IT.COM

HostGator vs BlueHost

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hey Guys,

I'm a complete newb to domaining and only have just purchased my first domain. I'm planning on getting into either flipping or niche sites, either way, I'll slowly collect more domains.

Which host would you pick? I narrowed down dozens to these two: HostGator or BlueHost. They are both affordable at around $6/mo or $8/mo and both seem to have identical features. I think BlueHost requires you to be with them for min of 1yr vs I can do month by month with HostGator.

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's easy to recognize affiliated sites or paid posts on forums, as they usually starting thread about particular hosting company(ies) describing their services as best and asking others about their opinion :)

•••
any sharing hosting will suck when:
a) your usage goes over what they believe is reasonable for unlimited hosting and they will ask you to stop using it or upgrade OR
b) when they add so many accounts on one server making it so slow you would want to look elsewhere yourself
with that said, I would go with HostGator as more mature host

•••
Adding to above, it's better in most cases to get reliable VPS hosting, of course you may need to have some knowledge in servers, or, your provider should help you in setting up and run your VPS, so does the reputable hosting company you can rely on.

•••
Hostgator and Bluehost seem to have a lot of issues nowadays so I would be careful, and look for reviews, Best of luck with choosing your new host

•••
Do not go to the sites that say top 10 hosting or anything of the likes because those are affiliate sites and for them the best host will be the one that pays them the most for passing you on to them.

•••
There is always a trade-off. At least for me. There's no way I can afford to put all my sites on my "ideal" web hosts. For sites that are not so critical, I am willing to pay a cheaper price at the cost of a little more "down" time and inconvenience than my more important sites.

•••
HostGator and BlueHost are the same company, sharing the same support staff and the same infrastructure in EIG's Utah DataCenter.
So whoever of these two you pick it will suck equally :)
There are much better providers out there, like MDD, KnownHost, LiquidWeb, HawkHost, etc.

•••
Hostgator have had for a long time, generally good. Have stood up to traffic of 100,000+ in a day a few times.

Bluehost sucks, I'm experiencing how much they suck right now. Stay away from them. 14 hours and counting with all sites down.

My next hosting will be an non EIG company.

•••
I would avoid HostGator. They changed servers on my websites and infected all my websites with viruses. When I complained they said that I had infected their server and threatened to charge me to clean the viruses from my websites and said my websites were a threat to their server. I thing is, I hadn't uploaded any changes to my websites in over 2 years, so I couldn't have infected their server. I would never use Hostgator again.

•••
I would avoid HostGator. They changed servers on my websites and infected all my websites with viruses. When I complained they said that I had infected their server and threatened to charge me to clean the viruses from my websites and said my websites were a threat to their server. I thing is, I hadn't uploaded any changes to my websites in over 2 years, so I couldn't have infected their server. I would never use Hostgator again.

Most probably your websites were really infected, as you said, two years are very long time to keep scripts without changes and security updates, so if there were some hacking attempts your scripts were most probably vulnerable.
However, it is the last thing a reputable hosting provider would accuse their customer to be a reason of their trouble, but they must perform security patches and server hardening instead of hanging trouble to a client.

•••
As per my experience till now I have notices that these companies like hostgator and even bluehost have reduced their concern regarding customer satisfaction. If you argue with them on even a single issue like this virus infection, rather helping out a customer they would either suspend your account permanently or stop replying to your tickets.

Try new companies which have risen recently, you may consider going for small vps to host your sites/blogs and completely avoid other users.

•••
i like HostGator, good speed and always have coupon discount

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back