IT.COM

Hostgator.com versus dreamhost.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello,

I've been with dreamhost.com for about 4 years and I have been very happy with them. The only thing I would quibble about is that they can have downtimes and it takes a little bit of time for them to get back to you via support (but much faster now).

My renewal is up at dreamhost and hadn't thought of moving until I read some good reviews about hostgator.com

I'm on 9.95 plan at dreamhost and would be interested in the $7.95 plan at hostgator.com

Dreamhost = # 500 GB Disk Storage
# 5 TB Monthly Bandwidth

hostgator.com = 600 gb storgae
6tb bandwidth

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You get what you pay for. That is a HUGE amount of space and bandwidth. The ONLY way either of those hosts can do that is via overselling. Overselling will always give you downtime.

Do some research at a few places and find a host that doesn't oversell.

•••
Lots of sites I know are complaining about dreamhost.com...
I'm not myself. I guess you can try it.

•••
Of course both dreamhost and host gator are overselling,however not only overselling hosts have downtime.
My dreamhost acct is up for renewal soon and I'm shopping for something else.

•••
Both of those companies are large hosting players, and both do oversell. You can read up reviews and see many people were unsatisfied, while some were. With big companies like HostGator and DreamHost, their client number is much greater than most hosts so their is a higher probability that they'll get more reviews (good or bad) from their customers.

•••
I have no complaints with HostGator. Its been flawless so far.

•••
I have used both.
I think dreamhost is better as they have their own panel(which does not use much resources)
Whereas hostgator uses cpanel which uses a lot of server resources.
Correct me if I am wrong.

•••
That may be true but most likely, server resource consumption is more a function of traffic and visitors to your site hogging the server. With the control panel (like CPanel), it's only accessible to one or a few people at any one time (the site admin, you), so unless certain processes hog the server severely, control panels alone may not be the culprit for server resources but rather a combination of different factors such as traffic, the scripts being used being resource/memory/etc. intensive, types of content requiring server processing, etc.

In the case of hosts like Dreamhost and HostGator, they really have so much bandwidth to give, and likely are true to their words about that, BUT (and this is the big but) what'll kill your account on sites like these is how it uses up server resources (CPU time/etc./ whatever metric they use).

It seems odd at first but this means that a site serving up lots of relatively static (cached or otherwise) images or video (as long as they're served without much processing) and a LOT of traffic will be far better for these hosts than sites that have LITTLE traffic but with Java/PHP/etc. dynamic scripts that use up the server cycles significantly.

•••
I like both companies and if I were you I'd go with Hostgator.com. They seems have better reviews.

•••
Both companies are massive oversellers. But if you are satisfied with the DH, I think you won't have to move from them.
Do you really have a reason for moving from DH? I can see HG's offer is higher than DH, but you really need that much?

•••
iHubNet-Matt said:
Both companies are massive oversellers. But if you are satisfied with the DH, I think you won't have to move from them.
Do you really have a reason for moving from DH? I can see HG's offer is higher than DH, but you really need that much?

Na not really. Hostgator is a bit cheaper with bigger plan. Still I am pretty happy with dreamhost.

I just thought if there were a lot of people on here that have moved from dreamhost to hostgator, that maybe I should too - lol!

Hmmm, but you have all made me think about not going with oversellers. Back to the research drawing board for me.

Thank you all for your help, much appreciated.

Can I ask what you would suggest if I have a small forum running, with flashchat?

I find flashchat is a bit slow and someone on flashchat said that dedicated servers are the way to go, but that kind of goes over my head.

•••
I think that people should go with web hosting company not because they are cheep. Cheap camnnot be quality at all ;)

•••
I agree with you,but it is extremely difficult to choose such a host as there many of them.
If your host goes down, then moving your site to another host is a big headache.So i am right now with dreamhost.I am concentrating more on studies right now.Once all my entrance exams are over ,I will experiment with other hosts which claim that they do not oversell.

•••
•••
If you really need that much bandwidth (like 5-6 TB monthly), you had better go with a dedicated server or VPS. But a small forum doesn't require so much bandwidth, does it? I however don't know how flashchat works.

•••
I go for dreamhost.com, its more reliable.

•••
Well both are definitely overselling. Thats just what they claim to provide you with. I have used Hostgator and similar ones that claim either 5-7TB or just say "unlimited". Theres no such thing as unlimited. If you didnt know already, these hosts have a limit on your usage of their server. Its set at somewhere around 10% I think. When you use up more than 10% of their server's resources they just happily suspend your account for some few minutes till your usage level goes down. I have experienced this when the bandwidth touches about 100GB a month.

•••
Well both are definitely overselling
There are 95% comanies are moved to oversell nowadays. Only 5% not oversel.

•••
I use hostgator and have never had any problems. The cpanel may use more resources but it is easy to use and has more features than the others I have used. They are cheap and I monitor my site constantly and have never actually noticed any downtime in recent memory... knock on wood.

•••
Most people will suggest Hostgator because of the high $$ commison they get if they refer some1 , are you ever going to use 6gb and TB of bandwidth? if no go to some place which does not oversell.

but this does bot mean hostgator is bad , they have excellent serivce and most of the time the site is up.

•••
Hi,

Been with Hostgator for about a year. A couple of short outages at the beginning. Nothing during the last several months. I chose them over Dreamhost because Hostgator has free 24X7 telephone support. Something that really came in handy the couple of times I had trouble. They only backup once a week, and the current backup overwrites the previous one, so make sure you take your own backups if you have critical data.

Rich

•••
I have had a HG account for almost 5 years now. Think in that time I only ever had maybe 2 hours total downtime. Super fast support. Had a DH account for about 2 years and it was alright. Had a bit of downtime and didn't really hit it off with support. But at the time DH was offering the best deals that you could find. Over all both are good services, I preffer HG but I think it would just come down to personal choice in the end.

•••
sorry about the little off-topic but do you know if GoDaddy oversell and how good/bad is compared to Hostgator?

Thanks

•••
helloypi said:
Na not really. Hostgator is a bit cheaper with bigger plan. Still I am pretty happy with dreamhost.

Are you going to consume all that disk space and bandwdth?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back