IT.COM

Hostgator changes your IP addresses without telling you

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I have been many years of hostgator customer. First it told me the IP addresses would be moved because they were moving their servers. And now recently it changed the IP addresses again without letting me know!

Many hosting companies guarantee the uptime, but when you change the IP addresses, it guarantee the down time.
When I asked why I was not informed, here is the reply:
"we do apologize that this was not brought to your attention. Unfortunately until our purchase last year, only a small amount of progress had been made on creating a notification system to keep our customers updated to the status of issues or to inform of extremely rare issues like IP changes."

it looks like I will still not be notified next time. First time, shame on me, the second time shame on you, I can't afford the 3rd time.
I have had enough. Canceled my account.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
When did this happen?

Seems they are starting to have outages - not a good sign.

•••
the first IP was last year when someone purchased hostgator. The second IP change was last month.

•••
If it is down more than 40 minutes in a month they have not met the uptime they promise of 99.9% and they refund you that month (but seems they only do if you ask).

They used to reply and act quickly, now sometimes they may not reply - not good. I am just pursuing them for a second refund of a monthly charge.

•••
They used to reply and act quickly, now sometimes they may not reply - not good. I am just pursuing them for a second refund of a monthly charge.

There are a couple of other Hostgator threads on here, but I'll mention here as well that I am finding they no longer honour their own uptime guarantee or their own TOS so basically who knows what to expect next. At one time it was a good service - why was it sold to a bunch of trashers?

•••
That's not nice, however if you're not pointing your site with A record or not using IP directly, change of the IP shouldn't affect your site very much.

•••
I believe I am having the same problem right now.
I can't ftp but my password is still good because I can log onto cpanel.
It must be that the IP address has been changed.

But I also noticed that every page of my hostgator website has an
additional script code added to it that is not on my original webpages.
I can't think how this could be anything but some sort of virus.

I don't know why its so difficult to find a good webhost

•••
Probably account was compromised. However, if you're able to login to cPanel, it seems there's an issue with FTP protocol or firewall has blocked access to the port. You can try accessing with SFTP protocol via port 22 instead.
Check your code, scripts, passwords for vulnerability , changing host won't give you too much if your scripts are weak or compromised.

•••
It was a mistake to use a reseller in the first place.
What do they know, they don't host the servers.
Complaining to a reseller is like spitting in the wind.
All a reseller can do is blame you, they can't fix a server problem.
I will be moving my websites to Site5 or Godaddy.
Site5 has better prices anyways.

•••
Very often reseller accounts are sharing same server resources and they can perform as usual shared hosting accounts. If you're looking for a good performance and dedicated only to you server resources (RAM, CPU, disk space, etc.) , then I'd suggest to consider at least VPS hosting plan.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back