IT.COM

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Say 'Augmented Reality' to these same kids though and they'll go "what's that?"- All games like Pokemon Go is to majority of people who play it is "an app/game for my mobile phone"

So why do companies need AR keyword domain names when no one really knows or cares what it is? Not saying start-ups/large companies won't have AR in domain names, i just don't see it as a necessity and with that who's going to give you big :$: for these AR keyword domain names to make it worth your time buying and hanging on to them?

I just can't see any AR domains being in huge demand personally, unless you have something unique and combining VR in it, like the WeArVr brand.

Time will tell. I dont believe in the AR keyword but funny that i got my investment in the niche and more with a end user sale for a medium quality name.
The way AR term is going as @VRdommy mentioned is the way i assumed it will go but you never know as maybe future games will push the AR keyword forward.

•••
MIXED-UP Reality ! ...LOL...
I could never figure out who would want to be considered AR (except HUD company's) with the way those in the media and some of the talking heads have described it.
It's a spin off from what is truly AR, 'GOOGLE GLASS' and HoloLens seems similar, and that started the confusion. And it has not ended.
And we may not have herd the last of new formats.
Many small competitors will follow suite with the larger counterpart that they are wanting to take a chunk of their market from and larger players will want to differentiate themselves from other larger players.

But all of the mix-up and blurred lines in the tech creates consumer confusion. So, don't be surprised if the consumer creates it's own logical names for it all.
Just look at the arguments and confusion from those that think they know better.
But it is what it is. Being that, I have refrained from investment in any additional format keywords for some time now. But if I notice some action actually happening, I will play the strongest few I can get my hands on. But no more than that.

AR has been here and has been bigger than VR, but where are the names sales to show that it has a need in marketing terms ? I don't see a major need in names for it. I have held good ones for years.
Show me end-user sales to date, not investor speculation sales. The proof is in the putting.
I'm glad I stopped at under 2 dozen names.
The same will apply to MIXED, MERGED or anything that follows.
But I will be happy if things change. And it probably will but not in a way we might expect.

I wondered what happened to CastAR. Have not herd from them for a while, so I went looking...
http://www.develop-online.net/news/castar-appoints-former-lucasarts-boss-as-ceo/0223317

FYI,
They were promising a VR/AR device, and late last year were talking about a showing at CES-2017.
They have been at it longer than Oculus. If fact Oculus stole much of their talent and can easily see where their tracking system came from on the crystal cove version onward if you watch all the 1st video.
This may end up being a special purpose tech but it depends on the final delivered product & price.

This video is 3 years old but shows what they were working on in the early stages..
A look at the dev prototype (1 year old)

CastAR are very promising imo even if it takes some time. Im not sure they really knew what they want in the beginning but i think the way they are going is pretty nice.
Funny that from delivering AR/VR experiences they switched to Mixed Reality experiences and if you ask them, mixed reality is what they do.(pokemon go made it more clearer for them, needed to stay away. I wont be surprised if they will rebrand.

•••
As keyword, holo is best. It is an actual word and makes the brand look "futuristic". Vr,Mr,Ar may change but Holo will stay for a very long time. It is also better in RadioTest.

Ps: My portfolio is heavily VR. Couldnt catch that much good holo... But wish i could.

•••
As keyword, holo is best. It is an actual word and makes the brand look "futuristic". Vr,Mr,Ar may change but Holo will stay for a very long time. It is also better in RadioTest.

Ps: My portfolio is heavily VR. Couldnt catch that much good holo... But wish i could.

I will not be surprised to see companies look across the spectrum once the tech's evolve.

I think Holo is a great brandable term but I am relatively confident Microsoft will brand themselves with the Holo terminology whilst also marketing themselves around their mixed reality technology.

For domainers invested in either technology it could open up two possibile sale avenues depending on the specific end user preference.

I also believe other terminology might creep into contention. I think this wave of future trend technology is going to see all the big players get involved and doing everything in their power to try and set themselves apart from the competition.

Last edited:
•••

Time will tell i guess. I have my own theories, I own mainly VR domains, but have invested in single 'v' a lot, after reading about v-commerce and looking at the past success of 'e' 'u' and 'i' domains (many 6 and 7 figure sales). I know some VR companies have gone with single 'v' like vTime and i think single 'v' could be a strong contender to represent all realities as they all are 'virtual devices' all said and done.

Same time i can see the word 'virtual' making a comeback, it's a word that got used a lot in the 90's, but it's a word that's going to be used a lot in VR/AR/MR. I also think '360' could be used a lot.

As said time will tell, none of us are Mystic Meg and can see into the future. I don't own any 'holo' names personally. I've made a few AR registrations, things like WeArDoctors to cover bases, but can't see me ever buying a AR/Holo/MR name in the aftermarket.

Last edited:
•••
I will not be surprised to see companies look across the spectrum once the tech's evolve.

I think Holo is a great brandable term but I am relatively confident Microsoft will brand themselves with the Holo terminology whilst also marketing themselves around their mixed reality technology.

For domainers invested in either technology it could open up two possibile sale avenues depending on the specific end user preference.

I also believe other terminology might creep into contention. I think this wave of future trend technology is going to see all the big players get involved and doing everything in their power to try and set themselves apart from the competition.

I see your concern with Microsoft, in the other hand they created "window" term. And now window is the generic term for all OS...

•••
I see your concern with Microsoft, in the other hand they created "window" term. And now window is the generic term for all OS...

Yes I definitely agree with you.

I have always been a fan of Holo, I was the guy who everyone laughed at when I purchased Poker Holo :-$

I have always thought VR & Holo were the most brandable terms for companies to go with, partly because most people know what virtual reality is supposed to be and what holograms are supposed to be.

I think Microsoft are very clever jumping on the term for their brandability.

Last edited:
•••

I have yet to see a format that HOLO can't play ball in.
As I have mentioned many times, It is about the software experience.
I buy names to fit that.

•••
Dates for Ubisoft's Star Trek, other VR games revealed

Ubisoft's first forays into virtual reality gaming will all release before the end of 2016

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11698783

"Developed exclusively for VR, Star Trek: Bridge Crew lets up to four players assume the roles of Captain, Helm, Tactical, and Engineer, and uses full-body avatars, hand tracking, and real-time lip-sync to give each player a convincing presence on the bridge.

coming this fall for Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, and PlayStation VR. "

•••
•••
•••
And then there is 4D still on the move.
http://www.filmjournal.com/features/moving-4d-and-motion-seats-are-gaining-more-traction

Anyone want to swear out one of the formats for it ?

@KingslayerVR - Virtual is also a format free keyword but I did not play it much and V, not at all.
Virtual plays best with a action you are not 'likely' to actually do in the real world but could do in a virtual one.
Or do more often or for practice. Or do without making a mess to clean-up ...LOL...

One other point.
End users have many more good choices for what they might use in a name and that is likely to have a effect on pricing till many get used up and those 'good' choices are far fewer.

•••
•••
And then there is 4D still on the move.
http://www.filmjournal.com/features/moving-4d-and-motion-seats-are-gaining-more-traction

Anyone want to swear out one of the formats for it ?

@KingslayerVR - Virtual is also a format free keyword but I did not play it much and V, not at all.
Virtual plays best with a action you are not 'likely' to actually do in the real world but could do in a virtual one.
Or do more often or for practice. Or do without making a mess to clean-up ...LOL...

One other point.
End users have many more good choices for what they might use in a name and that is likely to have a effect on pricing till many get used up and those 'good' choices are far fewer.

I managed to hand reg 4DSeats about 6 months ago and immediately 4DSeat was dropped and I regged it too. This tech is slow right now, so I don't really see it hitting mainstream in the west anytime within the next 2 - 3 years to be honest. Holding on still though....

•••
I managed to hand reg 4DSeats about 6 months ago and immediately 4DSeat was dropped and I regged it too. This tech is slow right now, so I don't really see it hitting mainstream in the west anytime within the next 2 - 3 years to be honest. Holding on still though....
They have been doing it in Imax Theaters for some time with 3D. Pay a little extra for the vibrating motion seats.
But are suppose to do it in at least some Imax's with VR this x-mas with a POD and some vr shorts. And that is the point StarVR comes to meet the public. I would expect some better announcements for it by Oct.

•••
I'm into all realities..giggle

•••
•••
Daydream VR Launching in Weeks?
http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/23/12607670/google-daydream-vr-project-funding-youtube-stars

Android N VR is out now...
http://bgr.com/2016/08/23/android-nougat-features-top-5-new/

Will we soon see hardware to work in this new platform? ... Probably the Note 7 will be first.
None of the mobile devices 'truly qualify' for platform specs yet.
But I'm optimistic a few things are coming we have not yet herd about.
Followed by many others in the spring when the new mobile VR intense CPU's hit market.

•••
360 CAM predictions
http://advanced-television.com/2016/08/24/vr-to-fuel-360-camera-market/

New apple Patent suggests once again, AR Room Mapping
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/apple-ar-patent,news-23269.html
For now, Only the iPhone 7Pro would be able to do this if the rumored 2 front facing cameras are true.

Leap Motion updates Hand Tracking
http://www.themalaymailonline.com/tech-gadgets/article/leap-motion-updates-hand-tracking-vr-tech

All in all, it looks like this x-mas will be the Actual 'GRAND OPENING' for VR !

•••
•••
•••
4Dpods
POD is a keyword that has been played pretty heavy for the last 15 years for various things but gets little attention for that. But 4D has many new fields, but I'm guessing this one is coming to a theater or arcade near you soon enough.

•••
•••

I really hate that things appear transparent in many Hololens demos. Is this also the case real life? I ask because it's just not that immersive when you can see through objects. The point should be to make things look as if they are really there, not like see through ghosts. It's almost a deal breaker for me personally, and I can imagine I'm not alone.

Last edited:
•••
Hololens looks a good piece of kit. I fear for it though with the price, price is one of the reasons why Google Glass flopped and just looking at the price of Hololens now, $3000 for the developer version D-:

I'm betting consumer version is going to cost about too.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back