IT.COM

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

NameSilo
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can you show me a picture where the device works outside, and not in their ofice?
I dont find outside usage image in their promo materials. - This is Mixed Reality?. - mixed in their office

Dude, please search in Youtube- hololens outdoor

Like many other members said already, I too sayin to you - Please research before posting!

PS: Dear Mods, please move all my posts from here to thread -

Cheers!

•••
•••
•••
The different realities all have a lot of the same features. But below is what I've gathered that makes them particularly different - the things that justify giving them all unique individual names. Please let me know if I'm wrong or missed something.

VR is all 100% virtual. Virtual objects in virtual worlds. 360 degree / spherical video viewing.

AR is flat, 2 dimensional overlays and interfaces laid atop of the real world

Mixed Reality is virtual 3 dimensional and 2 dimensional objects laid atop of the real world. Creating virtual environmental elements and partial worlds, overlaid on top of the real world, like a wall or a floor in your room, while still being able to see the real world, peripherally through the Mixed reality lens.

Merged Reality is interacting in virtual worlds with real life objects. Viewing video from based on where you are positionally from within the actual video, especially by using sensors and cameras within the headset to determine your location. Incorporating real world environmental elements into the virtual world. Creating entirely virtual worlds in real time that is based on real world dimensions, like the shape of your room, furniture, stairs, hallways, etc. Incorporating real world environmental objects into the virtual world.

Some problems that come up about differentiating Merged Reality from Virtual Reality is that Virtual Reality is in it's infancy and will evolve. As this evolution occurs some would argue that all the features of Merged Reality are simply advanced VR, but if that is the actual case then one could argue that Mixed Reality is simply an advanced form of Augmented Reality.

At the end of the day, it's important to remember that they are all IMMERSIVE technologies that companies are trying to capitalize on by using different terminologies to capture consumer attention.

Domaining is about investing in domains that have value, based on end user demand regardless of how we perceive differences in technology, because if their is a demand for a keyword that doesn't make sense, Domaining is not about debating the differences between technologies. If you are smart you'll invest in names that have a perceived value, regardless of what other domainers think, because at the end of the day it's about what END USERS want. If Merged Reality ends up being a fluke then that was the risk everyone hopefully took into account before investing.

•••
Dude, please search in Youtube- hololens outdoor

Like many other members said already, I too sayin to you - Please research before posting!

Thank you for your answer, as I said: "Can you show me a picture where the device works outside, and not in their ofice? I dont find outside usage image in their promo materials. "

Ok, I checked the (amateur users') outdoor youtube videos, and now I totally undarstand, why Microsoft does not promote the outdoor usage of the hololens:

- In direct sunligt it does not work too well. - you need shaded outdoor area for the normal quality.
- You have to walk around until the system learns the environment and stores it in the memory
- Memory limited by the size of the self-contained device which stores all the environment data
- As you can see the range of the spatial mapping is very small.

We can say, currently the Hololens technology is unsuitable for serious outddor usage.
This is why on the offical promo material you see only indoor usage of the hololens.

Additionally to the Mixed Reality vs Merged Reality:

Mixed reality sounds very techy (for geeks and nerds)
Merged Reality sounds more lifelike - maybe the real endusers (the families) will like it better
For me - as a foreigner - when I say merged, it sounds better, it is more interesting.

The concepts:
Mixed - the elements are mixed, but they will be always separated.
Merged: the elements unite into a single entity. They are not separable

On the concept level - Merged Reality is deeper and better description of this new dimension.
I think this is why Intel's CEO Brian Krzanich used the Merged Reality expression.

Other - hololens development - aspect: A lot of developer use Linux, they will not use hololens.
"Do you think that it would be possible to run GNU/Linux on HoloLens without some hardware hack, in let's say some reasonable time i.e. 1-2 years after the HL enters the market?" NO, withouth hardware hack.

PS: Dear Mods, I would like to join Mads: please move all my posts from here to thread -

Last edited:
•••
You guys are debating in this thread while at the same time asking the mods to move your posts. Now think about that for a second. Read my OP, and just THINK about that for a second.

"I politely ask that NPers be positive and please direct any debates about the differences between Merged Reality and other "Realities" to another thread."

No respect....

•••
The different realities all have a lot of the same features. But below is what I've gathered that makes them particularly different - the things that justify giving them all unique individual names. Please let me know if I'm wrong or missed something.

VR is all 100% virtual. Virtual objects in virtual worlds. 360 degree / spherical video viewing.

AR is flat, 2 dimensional overlays and interfaces laid atop of the real world

Mixed Reality is virtual 3 dimensional and 2 dimensional objects laid atop of the real world. Creating virtual environmental elements and partial worlds, overlaid on top of the real world, like a wall or a floor in your room, while still being able to see the real world, peripherally through the Mixed reality lens.

Merged Reality is interacting in virtual worlds with real life objects. Viewing video from based on where you are positionally from within the actual video, especially by using sensors and cameras within the headset to determine your location. Incorporating real world environmental elements into the virtual world. Creating entirely virtual worlds in real time that is based on real world dimensions, like the shape of your room, furniture, stairs, hallways, etc. Incorporating real world environmental objects into the virtual world.

Some problems that come up about differentiating Merged Reality from Virtual Reality is that Virtual Reality is in it's infancy and will evolve. As this evolution occurs some would argue that all the features of Merged Reality are simply advanced VR, but if that is the actual case then one could argue that Mixed Reality is simply an advanced form of Augmented Reality.

At the end of the day, it's important to remember that they are all IMMERSIVE technologies that companies are trying to capitalize on by using different terminologies to capture consumer attention.

Domaining is about investing in domains that have value, based on end user demand regardless of how we perceive differences in technology, because if their is a demand for a keyword that doesn't make sense, Domaining is not about debating the differences between technologies. If you are smart you'll invest in names that have a perceived value, regardless of what other domainers think, because at the end of the day it's about what END USERS want. If Merged Reality ends up being a fluke then that was the risk everyone hopefully took into account before investing.

Also worth noting that most tech's have coinciding/multiple keywords i.e autonomous, driverless, self driving.

There will usually become one term that is preferred but that does not mean that there still cannot be decent sales with the other keywords.

With you're example of merged reality and an advanced form of VR being a good example.

A company might have had interest in a premium VR Domain name that is already developed or put of their price range. The next step would be to look for an alternative keyword & what Intel might have just done is created an alternative keyword to be considered in the VR, AR & MR space.

A lot of companies would have seen the news relating to merged reality, so there is already a very small window that may open as time goes on.

Last edited:
•••
Also worthy noting that most tech's have coinciding/multiple keywords i.e autonomous, driverless, self driving.

There will usually become one term that is preferred but that does not mean that there still cannot be decent sales with the other keywords.

With you're example of merged reality and an advanced form of VR being a good example.

A company might have had interest in a premium VR Domain name that is already developed or put of their price range. The next step would be to look for an alternative keyword & what Intel might have just done is created an alternative keyword to be considered in the VR, AR & MR space.

A lot of companies would have seen the news relating to merged reality, so there is already a very small window that may open as time goes on.

I've heard of Merged Reality before Intel's announcement. It doesn't have its own Wikipédia page, simply because no one created it, but it's been mentioned more than a few times possibly going back to the 90s, so it's nothing that Intel created particularly.

•••
At the end of the day VR and AR will range KING and QUEEN in the same way that DotCom and DotNet are, because people will remember the first immersive terminologies that they I countered first and the most. People are afraid of what's unfamiliar, so companies may stick with these terms even when the tech is different. With VR already the leading tech and with Pokémon hitting the spotlight being labeled AR, it will be an uphill struggle for other terminologies to go mainstream. I'm not saying they won't, though. It obviously comes down to the marketing preferences of the companies pushing these technologies.

Last edited:
•••
Also worth noting that most tech's have coinciding/multiple keywords i.e autonomous, driverless, self driving.

Really good points

•••
Quick question. Why has augmented reality surpassed virtual reality in value in the most recent valuation projections for 2020?

AR= $100B+ BY 2020
Vr= $25B+by 2020

Is it really all because of Pokemon?

This aught to get some chatter here.

Last edited:
•••
Quick question. Why has augmented reality surpassed virtual reality in value in the most recent valuation projections for 2020?

AR= $100B+ BY 2020
Vr= $25+by 2020

It's not because of Pokemon GO, AR was forecasted to become 3-4x bigger than VR since 2015. IMO is way too early to know at this moment because the AR and VR headsets didn't even launched properly yet.

Last edited:
•••
As long as you thought carefully before regging,Thats what matters.
On the other hand i see some other stupid arguments by other domainers about the reason and meaning of merged reality it makes me laugh lol.

About king and queen, i disagree.. Too early to make this assumption.
About MR meaning and future usage- from what ive researched , both companies meaning about MR is the spectrum in which you will have virtual objects in your world/real objects in virtual worlds.

Cheers.

•••
They must be interested in the Hardware game....I'm convinced without evidence.
I'm convinced with evidence.
But that does not mean those attempts will make it to market.
I'm sure their project has only two main 'targets' in the beginning.
First to display cinematic VR and second as a gaming unit perhaps to work in conjunction with their other hardware products.
And I would 'not' expect it to be a spec treasure but a "low cost functional alternative".

It's 'most likely' they will use the Alloy/Win Holographic Open Platforms to produce a custom version.
'As intended', it removes a lot of heavy R&D to produce a unique product, and lowering the final cost.

Intel is interested in providing the chips that power them and MS is interested in being the interface of use.
Intel gave up the mobile market and created a new niche in VR with cpu's and cam/sensor tech.
Together they make a platform for any company to get in the game for a custom use product.
It's a big deal in this infant market.

•••
I'm convinced with evidence.
But that does not mean those attempts will make it to market.
I'm sure their project has only two main 'targets' in the beginning.
First to display cinematic VR and second as a gaming unit perhaps to work in conjunction with their other hardware products.
And I would 'not' expect it to be a spec treasure but a "low cost functional alternative".

It's 'most likely' they will use the Alloy/Win Holographic Open Platforms to produce a custom version.
'As intended', it removes a lot of heavy R&D to produce a unique product, and lowering the final cost.

Intel is interested in providing the chips that power them and MS is interested in being the interface of use.
Intel gave up the mobile market and created a new niche in VR with cpu's and cam/sensor tech.
Together they make a platform for any company to get in the game for a custom use product.
It's a big deal in this infant market.

And they got some great minds in amazon :)

•••
Some other stuff.
Intel ceo-"This is the promise of mixed reality, he said, where virtual environments can integrate everything from our limbs and handheld objects to entire virtual representations of other people captured by cameras and sensors"
Looks like intel are cooporating with microsoft, supplying a a device (open source) in 'merged reality tech' capable of working in mixed reality.
It fits to the what they said about working with intel on specs for mixed reality ready pc's and HMD's.

•••
Some other stuff.
Intel ceo-"This is the promise of mixed reality, he said, where virtual environments can integrate everything from our limbs and handheld objects to entire virtual representations of other people captured by cameras and sensors"
Looks like intel are cooporating with microsoft, supplying a a device (open source) in 'merged reality tech' capable of working in mixed reality.
It fits to the what they said about working with intel on specs for mixed reality ready pc's and HMD's.

This is where I think most of the tech editors are getting their one liner from, "merged reality (also known as mixed reality)" ?

I know that they are working with Microsoft on a mixed reality project, but why do you think a vast section of tech editors are making this comparison / mistake ? Surely they should know this stuff.

Pretty confusing.

Like I said before it makes no sense Intel forming a partnership with ms and then all of a sudden they try to shake up the mixed reality term (so I know it is not that).

What possible benefit is there in Intel throwing this term out to the public realms, unless they thought it had a commercial chance to establish itself and become an alternative keyword to coincide with others?

My guess is they are trying to create a new buzz word for the tech they are proposing. And as domainers, sometimes that is all that is needed to have a little gamble on a term.

Last edited:
•••
Ok, I checked the (amateur users') outdoor youtube videos, and now I totally undarstand, why Microsoft does not promote the outdoor usage of the hololens:
- In direct sunligt it does not work too well. - you need shaded outdoor area for the normal quality.
- You have to walk around until the system learns the environment and stores it in the memory
- Memory limited by the size of the self-contained device which stores all the environment data

My Kid was saying why his Tricycle is far better than my Car.

According to my Kid, my Car has limitations! :P

- In low sunlight it does not work too well. - you need Fog-lamp for the normal quality.
- You have to have GPS system to drive around!
- Mileage is limited!
- The system in car is not smart enough!

We can say, currently the Hololens technology is unsuitable for serious outddor usage.
This is why on the offical promo material you see only indoor usage of the hololens.

Dude, Are u serious!?

Forget about limitied outdoor usage, the VR headsets, u cant even use them properly in Indoor as well! you'll bump into things!
MR headsets gives u advantages over VR in this aspect and u started complaining on limited outdoor usage!! LMAO!

Merged Reality sounds more lifelike - maybe the real endusers (the families) will like it better
For me - as a foreigner - when I say merged, it sounds better, it is more interesting.

The concepts:

On the concept level - Merged Reality is deeper and better description of this new dimension.
I think this is why Intel's CEO Brian Krzanich used the Merged Reality expression.

Other - hololens development - aspect: A lot of developer use Linux, they will not use hololens.
"Do you think that it would be possible to run GNU/Linux on HoloLens without some hardware hack, in let's say some reasonable time i.e. 1-2 years after the HL enters the market?" NO, withouth hardware hack.

Good Luck!

3037345-poster-p-1-magicleapcomputer.gif

Cheers!

•••
Thank you for your answer, as I said: "Can you show me a picture where the device works outside, and not in their ofice? I dont find outside usage image in their promo materials. "

The concepts:

PS: Dear Mods, I would like to join Mads: please move all my posts from here to thread -

Replied here:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/ho...lity-all-realities.965879/page-5#post-5686716

Cheers!

•••
My Kid was saying why his Tricycle is far better than my Car.

According to my Kid, my Car has limitations! :P

- In low sunlight it does not work too well. - you need Fog-lamp for the normal quality.
- You have to have GPS system to drive around!
- Mileage is limited!
- The system in car is not smart enough!

You talk about Tricycle vs Car
If you read back my comments in the Merged Reality Domain Showcase thread,
I talk about Tricycle vs Car vs Airplane

As I said before:
I think, in the (not too far) future - when the giants as Intel, Google and Microsoft creates the technical infrastructure, databases and network - you will be able to go outside and walk in your city with your Merged Reality headset, and you will be able to live a totally different life (if you want).

Tricycle: Virtual Reality
Car: Mixed Reality
Airlplane: Merged Reality

Virtual Reality → Mixed Reality → Merged Reality

Technically a simple individual device never will give you that experience as Merged Reality.

Merged Reality will be significantly BETTER, BIGGER and MORE USEFUL than Mixed Reality, and to use it, we need some big provider with huge infrastructure, database and network.

Airplane - Merged Reality:
In Merged Reality You will wear a Merged Reality Headset/Merged Reality lens which connects to the Merged Reality Database of your city. The database, which comes from a provider.

The Providers gives the difference between Mixed Reality and Merged Reality

Merged Reality will be an integrated part of your full life, and You will use it anywhere in the city, not an indoor device with very limited outdoor capacity.

Back to the Airplane and Merged Reality metaphor:
The Merged reality provider will be something that is currently the control tower for the planes.

In Merged Reality There will be a lot of individual person who wear a Merged Reality Headset/Merged Reality lens and they have a common Merged Reality, they can see totaly the same things, and They can connect together in this Merged Reality. The Merged Reality Provider with special algorithms will (invisibly) help to coordinate the Persons (not to "crash")

Airplane + Control tower
Merged Reality headset + Merged Reality Provider

Dude, Are u serious!?

Forget about limitied outdoor usage, the VR headsets, u cant even use them properly in Indoor as well! you'll bump into things!
MR headsets gives u advantages over VR in this aspect and u started complaining on limited outdoor usage!! LMAO!

:) Forget about VR and limited MR headsets! we talk about Merged Reality! Merged Reallity is totally different!

Merged Reallity is a real paradigm shift!!!

•••
You talk about Tricycle vs Car
If you read back my comments in the Merged Reality Domain Showcase thread,
I talk about Tricycle vs Car vs Airplane

As I said before:

Tricycle: Virtual Reality
Car: Mixed Reality
Airlplane: Merged Reality

Virtual Reality → Mixed Reality → Merged Reality

Technically a simple individual device never will give you that experience as Merged Reality.

Merged Reality will be significantly BETTER, BIGGER and MORE USEFUL than Mixed Reality, and to use it, we need some big provider with huge infrastructure, database and network.

Airplane - Merged Reality:
In Merged Reality You will wear a Merged Reality Headset/Merged Reality lens which connects to the Merged Reality Database of your city. The database, which comes from a provider.

The Providers gives the difference between Mixed Reality and Merged Reality

Merged Reality will be an integrated part of your full life, and You will use it anywhere in the city, not an indoor device with very limited outdoor capacity.

Back to the Airplane and Merged Reality metaphor:
The Merged reality provider will be something that is currently the control tower for the planes.

In Merged Reality There will be a lot of individual person who wear a Merged Reality Headset/Merged Reality lens and they have a common Merged Reality, they can see totaly the same things, and They can connect together in this Merged Reality. The Merged Reality Provider with special algorithms will (invisibly) help to coordinate the Persons (not to "crash")

Airplane + Control tower
Merged Reality headset + Merged Reality Provider

:) Forget about VR and limited MR headsets! we talk about Merged Reality! Merged Reallity is totally different!

Merged Reallity is a real paradigm shift!!!

Ok, we will stop here.

Last edited:
•••
Ok, we will stop here.

I'm sorry if it sounded rude, just english is not my primary language.
It is difficult to think about something which is so fresh and exciting.

Last edited:
•••

AR= $100B+ BY 2020
Vr= $25B+by 2020

Great Post !

As I said back in the VR thread that was probably moved or deleted.
AR already is and was in the past and will continue to be a larger segment of the monetary measurement of the tech's. But then the AR purist will try to say much of what was called AR is not so.
And AugmentedReality.ORG sold for over 12k years ago, before the rift.
But where is the widespread demand for AR names as a result it is the leading format as measured in dollars to industry sales. Do you think a AR HMD is going to change that ? I guess you will have to wait and see the true impact of others as the AR HMD's release and watch the demand for names from that for your clues, but the early investor market does not even show it..
And that is my point about all the other sub-genres of VR.

I still suggest many quit splitting hair over what is better in a SUB-FORMAT of VR and concern yourselves with how any and all will play out in the demand for names.
It's your loss if you take your eyes off the 8 ball.
I've been through this sort of thing many times and know how it ends up.

The winner more often is those that have better marketing and price points and can gain clear advantage in the early stages to buy out all competition among other things.
The guy with the best product today will find he is second the next year as the tech advances.
There will be more and better products down the road.
What will they call those ? Could they render your holdings today as worthless ?

And the term MARKETING is the key to all in domaining.
While some understand that,
others will have to loose a bunch more than once before they 'GET-IT'

Last edited:
•••
Great Post !

As I said back in the VR thread that was probably moved or deleted.
AR already is and was in the past and will continue to be a larger segment of the monetary measurement of the tech's. But then the AR purist will try to say much of what was called AR is not so.
And AugmentedReality.ORG sold for over 12k years ago, before the rift.
But where is the widespread demand for AR names as a result it is the leading format as measured in dollars to industry sales. Do you think a AR HMD is going to change that ? I guess you will have to wait and see the true impact of others as the AR HMD's release and watch the demand for names from that for your clues, but the early investor market does not even show it..
And that is my point about all the other sub-genres of VR.

I still suggest many quit splitting hair over what is better in a SUB-FORMAT of VR and concern yourselves with how any and all will play out in the demand for names.
It's your loss if you take your eyes off the 8 ball.
I've been through this sort of thing many times and know how it ends up.

The winner more often is those that have better marketing and price points and can gain clear advantage in the early stages to buy out all competition among other things.
The guy with the best product today will find he is second the next year as the tech advances.
There will be more and better products down the road.
What will they call those ? Could they render your holdings today as worthless ?

And the term MARKETING is the key to all in domaining.
While some understand that,
others will have to loose a bunch more than once before they 'GET-IT'

my holdings rendered Worthless today is my handreg NFC related domains.

NFC was supposed to be the tech that will "replace the wallet".
I had stuff like NFCAmerica.com and NFCATM.com and ATMNFC.com and USANFC.com

I hope my AR holdings don't end up the way of the Dodo.

•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back