Domain Empire

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well it would be great if that happens this year, but it seems we don't have much reason to believe it other than Robert Scoble and the fact that Tim Cook praised AR massively recently.

Yes mate, I am skeptical about the glasses being announced this year.

But Carl Zeiss have confirmed they have been working with Apple on these so who knows.

An AR type phone is achievable though.

Last edited:
•••
From Apple, I'm expecting a glasses plug-in (wired or wireless) to the phone, but I'm not expecting it to be released at the same time as the phone. But perhaps a preview and dev kit.
Anyone who thinks you can just throw a new format hardware out there and have it be a success without content to use with it need to think it through some more.
And you must always contend with pricing that can inhibit sales volume of the hardware.
Without hardware numbers, it's hard to get software dev's to want to dev anything for it.

That is what killed google glass. They all abandon glass for VR because they had actual hardware releasing to the public. All be it dev/beta units anyone could buy. Google gave no indication to anyone for a retail release and the cost of a dev unit was outrageous for what it was.

So I just don't expect a full release of anything, if any HMD this fall.
But perhaps a strong intro to what it is and what it might do..

•••
From Apple, I'm expecting a glasses plug-in (wired or wireless) to the phone, but I'm not expecting it to be released at the same time as the phone. But perhaps a preview and dev kit.
Anyone who thinks you can just throw a new format hardware out there and have it be a success without content to use with it need to think it through some more.
And you must always contend with pricing that can inhibit sales volume of the hardware.
Without hardware numbers, it's hard to get software dev's to want to dev anything for it.

That is what killed google glass. They all abandon glass for VR because they had actual hardware releasing to the public. All be it dev/beta units anyone could buy. Google gave no indication to anyone for a retail release and the cost of a dev unit was outrageous for what it was.

So I just don't expect a full release of anything, if any HMD this fall.
But perhaps a strong intro to what it is and what it might do..

Yes exactly mate.

I would only be expecting an announcement to be made by September. To be honest would be great for the industry if a pair of glasses were previewed, but I am fully expecting Apple to at least announce an AR capable mobile device.

But you are right we might have to wait a little while for the actual release of these products.

But the positive thing is, if Apple does jump into the VR industry it will help the adoption rate of these types of technologies massively.

Last edited:
•••
•••
AugmentedRealityNavigation / AugmentedNavigation / HolographicNavigation

Alibaba leads $18 million round into augmented reality car nav startup WayRay

A day after Intel bought autonomous car technology provider Mobileye, Alibaba led an $18 million funding round into WayRay, an augmented reality car navigation startup.

WayRay, based in Switzerland, builds heads-up displays for drivers, as well as fully augmented reality and virtual reality immersive systems intended for eventual use in self-driving cars.

Read more: http://venturebeat.com/2017/03/14/a...nto-augmented-reality-car-nav-startup-wayray/

•••
AugmentedRealityNavigation / AugmentedNavigation / HolographicNavigation

Alibaba leads $18 million round into augmented reality car nav startup WayRay

A day after Intel bought autonomous car technology provider Mobileye, Alibaba led an $18 million funding round into WayRay, an augmented reality car navigation startup.

WayRay, based in Switzerland, builds heads-up displays for drivers, as well as fully augmented reality and virtual reality immersive systems intended for eventual use in self-driving cars.

Read more: http://venturebeat.com/2017/03/14/a...nto-augmented-reality-car-nav-startup-wayray/

Cool info :)

MRnavigation.com
NavigateAR.com

•••
Just researching the term XR and come across this:-

https://twitter.com/LCarvalhoSe/status/839960226530906112

Not trying to bring the whole AR vs MR thing up again (so not going to make any more posts on this afterwards) but thought i would post this as i found it interesting hearing unbias views from someone involved within the virtual tech industry and she commented on Mixed Reality on 1:44.

Also I agree with her on XR, whilst there's defiantly something in the term (people involved within the tech industry), i don't think it's a good term to promote all virtual techs together publicly.

Last edited:
•••
Quick question.

We are all pretty much expecting Apple to bring out a new iPhone with AR capabilities.

How many of you lot think you will go for the new iPhone?

I have always been a Samsung guy myself but if the new phone is as advanced as it is rumoured to be I might be willing to switch across to iPhone for the first time in my life.

Or does anyone think that one of the other smartphone companies are working on a solution to rival the next iPhone?

I'm a Samsung guy too. I've had a iPhone before, never got on with it.

Know people who have the newer iPhone's and had a play around with it, still can't get on with it, so can't see me ever buying an iPhone again even if it has AR capabilities.

•••

Not trying to bring the whole AR vs MR thing up again (so not going to make any more posts on this afterwards) but thought i would post this as i found it interesting hearing unbias views from someone involved within the virtual tech industry and she commented on Mixed Reality on 1:44.

Also I agree with her on XR, whilst there's defiantly something in the term (people involved within the tech industry), i don't think it's a good term to promote all virtual techs together publicly.

Thanks for the info ;)

Now I promised myself I would not get into this all mixed reality dramas again so I won't.

All I will say is wow lol

I wouldn't advise you to suscribe to her twitter feed though ha ha

•••
I'm a Samsung guy too. I've had a iPhone before, never got on with it.

Know people who have the newer iPhone's and had a play around with it, still can't get on with it, so can't see me ever buying an iPhone again even if it has AR capabilities.

Yes I am the same mate, my wife just changed to a iPhone and she can't wait to get back to a samsung.

I have tried using it but I think tasks are so much easier to do on a samsung.

•••

They are just using xR as x=fill in the Blanks..

Not as extended/extra

•••

Lol, I thought this whole AR vs MR thing was the reason for this thread :-P

If you can overcome her excruciating voice and her manner of turning every sentence she utters into a doubtful question, her argument is pretty good and seems to me to be along the lines of what you and VRDommy have been saying here (and myself).

Actually just this morning (before I watched the video) I was thinking about how essentially 'mixed reality' is just 3D AR, so I registered 3DARP***

•••
Lol, I thought this whole AR vs MR thing was the reason for this thread :-P

If you can overcome her excruciating voice and her manner of turning every sentence she utters into a doubtful question, her argument is pretty good and seems to me to be along the lines of what you and VRDommy have been saying here (and myself).

Actually just this morning (before I watched the video) I was thinking about how essentially 'mixed reality' is just 3D AR, so I registered 3DARP***

Well VRdommy is the king of VR3D

Maybe you can become the king of AR3D

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
When I regged Merging+Reality back before Intel even got behind ‘Merged Reality’ I was thinking along the lines of what Extended Reality is being described as.

I was reading about different technologies VR+AR+IoT-AI and all these techs and different ‘realities’ MERGING and I just thought at the time when I did Merging+Reality/Merging+Realities & Mixing+Realities they would be a great names for a company specializing in all these technologies.

That’s how I was hoping Intel was going to promote Merged (all realities ‘merged’ together), sort of what the term XR is used for now. That’s why I’m not too concerned if one day they drop term, as I still believe the term will have some relevance.

This for example this talks about ‘merged reality’ in the way I have above (nothing to do with Intel’s use of the term).

https://twitter.com/MikeQuindazzi/status/808122643710754816/photo/1

And this tweet back in May 2016 talks about a ‘Merged Reality’ future:-

https://twitter.com/Androidheadline/status/735617474540998656/photo/1

Last edited:
•••
I think the fact that Microsoft made the name change to Windows Mixed Reality has pretty much set in stone a future value for mixed reality names and even 'mr'. However, in terms of what consumers will be calling all this mess, it makes it even more likely that another name will be the catch all.

•••
Please excuse my ignorance but I am new at this and definitely not a tech guy. Just want to see your thoughts on something that came to my mind.
Isn't it possible that every company will use their own definition of all these realities. It may be the same tech but they will probably name it for marketing purposes. (If that happens xr seems really good choice for me if not the best one). Like diesel engines in cars - it's the same technology but every company has it's own name for it.
Sorry if the comparison is stupid but it made me think

•••
When I regged Merging+Reality back before Intel even got behind ‘Merged Reality’ I was thinking along the lines of what Extended Reality is being described as.

I was reading about different technologies VR+AR+IoT-AI and all these techs and different ‘realities’ MERGING and I just thought at the time when I did Merging+Reality/Merging+Realities & Mixing+Realities they would be a great names for a company specializing in all these technologies.

That’s how I was hoping Intel was going to promote Merged (all realities ‘merged’ together), sort of what the term XR is used for now. That’s why I’m not too concerned if one day they drop term, as I still believe the term will have some relevance.

This for example this talks about ‘merged reality’ in the way I have above (nothing to do with Intel’s use of the term).

https://twitter.com/MikeQuindazzi/status/808122643710754816/photo/1

And this tweet back in May 2016 talks about a ‘Merged Reality’ future:-

https://twitter.com/Androidheadline/status/735617474540998656/photo/1

I agree about mergedreality.com

It will do good either way imo.

I hope you'll make a great roi on that one.

•••
I think the fact that Microsoft made the name change to Windows Mixed Reality has pretty much set in stone a future value for mixed reality names and even 'mr'. However, in terms of what consumers will be calling all this mess, it makes it even more likely that another name will be the catch all.

Well out of all the phrases I have seen for these types of techs I personally would have thought the one which would have made the most sense for a catch all phrase would have been Hybrid Reality given the fact what the term "Hybrid" can relate to.

Obviously merged/mixed also make sense.

But it doesn't matter if a catch all phrase does appear or not, people will always have the need to search for the individual experience they are looking for. JMO of course.

•••

The one issue I would have with this is...
How do you search for content compatible with your device type using any single term ?
Just something to think about ! It is why I keep stating confusion serves nobody.
Just adds one more term to the confusion.

The pie is but one size. You can split it into more pieces to serve more but the portion size always shrinks.
Adding a new term does not create more start-ups in need of a name.

•••
The one issue I would have with this is...
How do you search for content compatible with your device type using any single term ?
Just something to think about ! It is why I keep stating confusion serves nobody.
Just adds one more term to the confusion.

The pie is but one size. You can split it into more pieces to serve more but the portion size always shrinks.
Adding a new term does not create more start-ups in need of a name.

Well it's just like 'Sports' and subcategory's of 'Sport' are Football/Golf/Tennis/Cricket etc.

VR/AR/MR are all related at the end of the day, so i do understand the need for 1 word to describe all virtual related realities rather than saying 'Virtual/Augmented and Mixed Reality' all the time - I usually just say 'virtual tech'.

Many start-ups involved in one of these will probably want to be involved in the others, so i can see why XR has come about to describe all virtual realities, I'm just not sure if Extended Reality (XR) is the right term though.

'Virtual Realities' would be a good term imo.

Last edited:
•••
Well it's just like 'Sports' and subcategory's of 'Sport' are Football/Golf/Tennis/Cricket etc.

VR/AR/MR are all related at the end of the day, so i do understand the need for 1 word to describe all virtual related realities rather than saying 'Virtual/Augmented and Mixed Reality' - I usually just say 'virtual related tech'.

Many start-ups involved in one of these will probably want to be involved in the others, so i can understand the need for a term to describe all virtual realities, I'm just not sure if Extended Reality (XR) is the right term though.

'Virtual Realities' would be a good term imo.
Oh... was that American football or soccer ? ...LOL... (point intended)

•••
Holographic3DTV

How Holographic Television Achieve Near Human Images – The Future Of Glassles-Free 3D Television

Technology is really making the world go gaga. I won’t be surprised to get up and hear that man has been recreated with the help of science.

There is a recent add up in the tech world called Holographic 3D Television. This TV-am talking about is the recent and certainly the best Television in the world.

Holographic Television: – Introduction & Review

A breakthrough has been achieved in the area of virtual display. Holographic Television has redefined the way we watch movies, with its shutter glasses you’re rest assured that your Tv images are as real as you think of. The mind blowing part of Tv is that you could see real images in glassles-free 3D TVS.

Read more: http://www.meridian24.com/holographic-television-achieve-human-images/

•••
Holographic3DTV

How Holographic Television Achieve Near Human Images – The Future Of Glassles-Free 3D Television

Technology is really making the world go gaga. I won’t be surprised to get up and hear that man has been recreated with the help of science.

There is a recent add up in the tech world called Holographic 3D Television. This TV-am talking about is the recent and certainly the best Television in the world.

Holographic Television: – Introduction & Review

A breakthrough has been achieved in the area of virtual display. Holographic Television has redefined the way we watch movies, with its shutter glasses you’re rest assured that your Tv images are as real as you think of. The mind blowing part of Tv is that you could see real images in glassles-free 3D TVS.

Read more: http://www.meridian24.com/holographic-television-achieve-human-images/
GoggleFree3D (2010)
I seen similar news on that the other day. It's cool, and I was very hopeful of it 8 years ago when I first seen the tech being dev'd but I don't think it will fly as well with millennial's comparing it as cost and full immersion capability. I bought only 2 names to match it and let one drop not long ago.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back