IT.COM

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Just typed Mixed Reality in today's news to see what's happening, seeing words like 'delays' 'lack of competition' 'expensive' linked to Microsoft HoloLens and the bad press that joke of a company Magic Leap has been getting lately, it's not looking good:-

http://www.forbes.com/sites/paularm...re-creating-their-own-disasters/#15823c722341

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/20/next-gen-hololens-2019/

Screenshot_20170220-183637.png

Screenshot_20170220-183649.png

•••
1st i will say it looks like you need to charge your battery.... LOL...

2nd, I don't think Bob gets it yet. He is good at exacerbating the existing rumors out there but is to far out there for equating this in the real world.

Let's look at the reality on the ground...
1st MS,
Microsoft has a eager ready market to pay the price of it's device and it's not the home gaming consumer.
It's ENTERPRISE. And while I'm sure Apple is on their radar, it not having any major role on what they are doing in it's plans. MS will work this from Enterprise down to the consumer. Some may not understand enterprise's use for this device and that's because it's not making any headlines.

2nd Apple,
Apple is far from releasing any more than introducing a development unit this year. Something to get the developers a chance to make CONTENT that you will need to have anyone outside of the early curious adopters to buy one. They have a target market that STARTS with the consumer and then extends up to enterprise.
It's a much easier sell for Apple in the long run because both markets are using their products as it stands.
BUT YOU NEED CONTENT TO SELL THIS ! A compelling reason for consumers to want it.
While I am sure they will have content similar to what Google Glass had as far as built-in functionality, that is far from a compelling reason to spend the extra bucks to have one in any mass consumer demand.

I am doubtful we will see anything more than a development unit from apple this year (available to anyone) while we get a chance to see the form and function of what they have to offer and make applications for it.

If you buy HYPE, you are being sold. Be a scrupulous buyer, don't be sold.

•••
1st i will say it looks like you need to charge your battery.... LOL...

2nd, I don't think Bob gets it yet. He is good at exacerbating the existing rumors out there but is to far out there for equating this in the real world.

Let's look at the reality on the ground...
1st MS,
Microsoft has a eager ready market to pay the price of it's device and it's not the home gaming consumer.
It's ENTERPRISE. And while I'm sure Apple is on their radar, it not having any major role on what they are doing in it's plans. MS will work this from Enterprise down to the consumer. Some may not understand enterprise's use for this device and that's because it's not making any headlines.

2nd Apple,
Apple is far from releasing any more than introducing a development unit this year. Something to get the developers a chance to make CONTENT that you will need to have anyone outside of the early curious adopters to buy one. They have a target market that STARTS with the consumer and then extends up to enterprise.
It's a much easier sell for Apple in the long run because both markets are using their products as it stands.
BUT YOU NEED CONTENT TO SELL THIS ! A compelling reason for consumers to want it.
While I am sure they will have content similar to what Google Glass had as far as built-in functionality, that is far from a compelling reason to spend the extra bucks to have one in any mass consumer demand.

I am doubtful we will see anything more than a development unit from apple this year (available to anyone) while we get a chance to see the form and function of what they have to offer and make applications for it.

If you buy HYPE, you are being sold. Be a scrupulous buyer, don't be sold.

Ok agree with most of your points (expecially the battery charging).

Point I was trying to highlight was that he doesn't expect mixed reality to be consumer adopted until around 2020, so it is a bit early to say things don't look good for mixed reality.

Microsoft know the improvements that are needed will not be ready for V2 so I think it's a kind of smart move delaying the tech until it is going to stand more chance of consumer adoption.

The Apple vs Microsoft thing was not really my main point. But after experiencing failures before, Microsoft know that they need this product to be pretty impressive before consumer release.

Yes it is likely there will be lots of competition. But Microsoft is also an household known brand, so if they get it right they stand a very good chance of capturing a fair bit of the market share.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Honestly, most of the domains here won't stand a chance of fulfilling their resale potential for at least another 2 years, so we can either bark on at one another, or, sit back and let the domains mature without all the wasted time withering on about it all :/

•••
The folks investing in MR Mixed Reality names need to step back and be rational with their investments. Look how long it took VR as an industry to reach this point and even with ALL that... it's only now VR domains are starting to gain a bit of traction. Even with all the press and money being invested... it is still a slow go. MR is very far from having a consumer driven demand. Right now and for near future, demand is being manufactured by big tech in a B2B2C model which will be a slow trickle. One can try to push the term all you want on forums and social platforms but it doesn't change the fact that the tech is simply not there yet and won't be for some time... meanwhile, renewal fees and a likelihood the name falls out of fashion. VR and AR are my go to investments as that's where demand is. just my 2 cents

•••
The folks investing in MR Mixed Reality names need to step back and be rational with their investments. Look how long it took VR as an industry to reach this point and even with ALL that... it's only now VR domains are starting to gain a bit of traction. Even with all the press and money being invested... it is still a slow go. MR is very far from having a consumer driven demand. Right now and for near future, demand is being manufactured by big tech in a B2B2C model which will be a slow trickle. One can try to push the term all you want on forums and social platforms but it doesn't change the fact that the tech is simply not there yet and won't be for some time... meanwhile, renewal fees and a likelihood the name falls out of fashion. VR and AR are my go to investments as that's where demand is. just my 2 cents

AR came really out of nowhere though.

Just over a year ago you would have been saying the exact same thing about AR?

Microsoft who create probably the biggest computer platform "windows" have just renamed their section for the kind of tech we are talking about "mixed reality".

Yes mixed reality got a long way to go.

But that is what future tech domaining is about.

Yes we know that the media is all about VR & AR currently (which I refer to as current trend).

But not one company as yet started to commercially push mixed reality, so things are currently as I would expect them to be.

Thing you have got to ask yourself is would a tech that combined elements of VR & AR be a good addition to have?

I answered yes to this which is personally why I invested.

I also seen the potential in VR, AR & Holo which is why I invested.

You have a great VR & are starting to build a great AR portfolio.

But there was always a point where those names were available for reg fee. And most of those domains would have been reg'd with the promise of future trend apposed to current trend.

Last edited:
•••

Truth is, no one knows anything besides the fact that VR is a big success till now. All the rest is media & domainer speculation. In any case, a domainer should register domains knowing that he might need to renew for more then a 2-3 years and take it all under consideration.

Last edited:
•••
I sold HoloPark.Com last year, regret it now, mid $xxx

•••
AR came really out of nowhere though.

Just over a year ago you would have been saying the exact same thing about AR?

I believe I did say similar things about AR in 2015 :) and have paid for it. You come in late, you pay more to play. I don't like AR like I do VR becuase of VR's sexappeal but I'll play.

I'm not knocking MR and didn't want it to seem like I'm some pro VR purist- I'm pro-income. I'm just suggesting caution. A lot of us who invested in VR have made sales on Virtual Reality as well as the fact that it doubles for Vacation Rentals which is a lucrative industry. MR doesn't have that double benefit followup (sure mister, but I see that as a negative). I just bought an xxx MR name a few days ago. My only MR purchase to date and would like 1 or 2 more. But MR right now is just at the higher spectrum of speculation. Microsoft has renamed section of Windows in the past. The section you refer to was initially called "Windows Holographic" and who knows what it will end up being- so it could be a big deal or it could not.

I just haven't seen enough to say MR is Green Light GO! If I buy an MR name, it is with that voice in the back of my head telling me this can be a total lost. But I'll still buy because I'm a hard headed risk loving domainer lol :). But if you've tried the tech- the limitations affects short-term confidence at least it did for me. It's really ways away. I'm just kind of thinking out loud and typing now. I see your points. You have great names and @Elad n has great names and sure you'll do great! I hope MR does pick up- it'll be another avenue for all of us to play in.

Last edited:
•••
I believe I did say similar things about AR in 2015 :) and have paid for it. You come in late, you pay more to play. I don't like AR like I do VR becuase of VR's sexappeal but I'll play.

I'm not knocking MR and didn't want it to seem like I'm some pro VR purist- I'm pro-income. I'm just suggesting caution. A lot of us who invested in VR have made sales on Virtual Reality as well as the fact that it doubles for Vacation Rentals which is a lucrative industry. MR doesn't have that double benefit followup (sure mister, but I see that as a negative). I just bought an xxx MR name a few days ago. My only MR purchase to date and would like 1 or 2 more. But MR right now is just at the higher spectrum of speculation. Microsoft has renamed section of Windows in the past. The section you refer to was initially called "Windows Holographic" and who knows what it will end up being- so it could be a big deal or it could not.

I just haven't seen enough to say MR is Green Light GO! If I buy an MR name, it is with that voice in the back of my head telling me this can be a total lost. But I'll still buy because I'm a hard headed risk loving domainer lol :). But if you've tried the tech- the limitations affects short-term confidence at least it did for me. It's really ways away. I'm just kind of thinking out loud and typing now. I see your points. You have great names and @Elad n has great names and sure you'll do great! I hope MR does pick up- it'll be another avenue for all of us to play in.

100% agree.

Well said.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Truth is, no one knows anything besides the fact that VR is a big success till now. All the rest is media & domainer speculation. In any case, a domainer should register domains knowing that he might need to renew for more then a 2-3 years and take it all under consideration.

This makes perfect sense.

•••
Ok agree with most of your points (expecially the battery charging).

Point I was trying to highlight was that he doesn't expect mixed reality to be consumer adopted until around 2020, so it is a bit early to say things don't look good for mixed reality.

Microsoft know the improvements that are needed will not be ready for V2 so I think it's a kind of smart move delaying the tech until it is going to stand more chance of consumer adoption.

The Apple vs Microsoft thing was not really my main point. But after experiencing failures before, Microsoft know that they need this product to be pretty impressive before consumer release.

Yes it is likely there will be lots of competition. But Microsoft is also an household known brand, so if they get it right they stand a very good chance of capturing a fair bit of the market share.
Agreed and I did not miss that !
I should only speak for myself, but I am not sure anyone really was predicting a earlier success than 2019. Except for Scoble ! (and those that follow him) While not directly saying it, he gave the direct impression repeated though the media.
He has been the creator of most of the OVER-HYPE. Perhaps he just realized it !
Glad to see him getting up to speed on this.
I took a bunch of lip service in the past for trying to put more realistic expectations on this.
Everyone wants to buy the shinny object as seen on TV... so to speak.

Hope your battery is charged. I did not realize many of you are using a mobile phone to read/post here.
I guess it's old man syndrome for me... I need a full keyboard and a big screen ! ...LOL...

•••
Agreed and I did not miss that !
I should only speak for myself, but I am not sure anyone really was predicting a earlier success than 2019. Except for Scoble ! (and those that follow him) While not directly saying it, he gave the direct impression repeated though the media.
He has been the creator of most of the OVER-HYPE. Perhaps he just realized it !
Glad to see him getting up to speed on this.
I took a bunch of lip service in the past for trying to put more realistic expectations on this.
Everyone wants to buy the shinny object as seen on TV... so to speak.

Hope your battery is charged. I did not realize many of you are using a mobile phone to read/post here.
I guess it's old man syndrome for me... I need a full keyboard and a big screen ! ...LOL...
All my work is done via the phone which can be quite challenging with domain rego , dns parking etc those little keys become smaller as the night goes on lol.

•••
Google bringing facial expression to Social VR & MR...
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...lity-tech-makes-vr-headsets-invisible-sort-of
They would not be the only one working on this, but when they do it everyone seems to pay attention to it.

LATE TO THE GAME... GearVR get's it's new bluetooth controller certified.
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/samsung-gear-vr-controller-gets-bluetooth-certification-22-02-2017/
I don't know what took them so long to do this. I've been arguing for it since the beginning of mobile VR.
It's a no-brainer. Even the cheapest unit's in China that never made their way to the US had it last year.
(Now someone needs to make a add-on to track it's position)

•••
Headset “Removal” for Virtual and Mixed Reality

Virtual Reality (VR) enables remarkably immersive experiences, offering new ways to view the world and the ability to explore novel environments, both real and imaginary. However, compared to physical reality, sharing these experiences with others can be difficult, as VR headsets make it challenging to create a complete picture of the people participating in the experience.

Some of this disconnect is alleviated by Mixed Reality (MR), a related medium that shares the virtual context of a VR user in a two dimensional video format allowing other viewers to get a feel for the user’s virtual experience. Even though MR facilitates sharing, the headset continues to block facial expressions and eye gaze, presenting a significant hurdle to a fully engaging experience and complete view of the person in VR.

Read more: https://research.googleblog.com/2017/02/headset-removal-for-virtual-and-mixed.html

•••
ToyHologram / HologramToy

Hologram Barbie is Mattel's newest toy

Toy maker Mattel's latest invention is a digitally rendered interactive Barbie -- called the Hello Barbie Hologram -- and it's hitting stores in late fall this year. The toy will be priced at under $300, the company says.

It was unveiled at the Toy Industry Association's annual fair in New York this weekend, and Mattel said the hologram on display is "just a glimpse" of what the final product will be.

A hologram of Barbie lives inside a plastic container and is active 24 hours as long as the toy stays plugged in. It's voice activated, and kids can ask Barbie to change her appearance, including her clothes and skin tone.

Read more: http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/18/technology/barbie-hologram-mattel/

•••
Anyone who hand-registered "decent" AR, VR or Holo names and thinks its a 2-3 year wait before the name mature to start seeing nice sales is a long way off. If you are hand-registering names in these tech niches, you really have to get in at least 5/6+ years before, sometimes even longer, to get the names really worth regging. The popularity of the niche also decides how long before you should have started regging names.

If you come into a tech 2-3 before it booms, you either have to register average names that will struggle to sell to end-users, or you have spend high xxx to low, or even mid x,xxx per name to get names that will sell to end-users (not domainers), and I mean regular sales to end-users, not 1 or 2 sales.

As @BostonDomainer said above and I have said it many times on other threads, it doesn't matter how much we pump up the thread on here and various other platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter etc..if the tech is not going to make it mainstream, its just not meant to be and no amount of marketing by domainers or bloggers like Robert Scoble will have any impact whatsoever.

We have just have to be smart and try and spread out names thinly across various niches we believe will make it. As soon as you start regging 100+ names in a single niche, especially if they arent top names, you are in trouble because when you make any sales, its only paying off the renewals from the last 2 or 3 years, its not profit, so investing lightly in various niches is the smart way to go because you are never go to sell 100+ names in a single niche...it just wont happen.

I try not invest more than 50 names in a single niche but thats just me.

•••
•••
Anyone who hand-registered "decent" AR, VR or Holo names and thinks its a 2-3 year wait before the name mature to start seeing nice sales is a long way off. If you are hand-registering names in these tech niches, you really have to get in at least 5/6+ years before, sometimes even longer, to get the names really worth regging. The popularity of the niche also decides how long before you should have started regging names.

If you come into a tech 2-3 before it booms, you either have to register average names that will struggle to sell to end-users, or you have spend high xxx to low, or even mid x,xxx per name to get names that will sell to end-users (not domainers), and I mean regular sales to end-users, not 1 or 2 sales.

As @BostonDomainer said above and I have said it many times on other threads, it doesn't matter how much we pump up the thread on here and various other platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter etc..if the tech is not going to make it mainstream, its just not meant to be and no amount of marketing by domainers or bloggers like Robert Scoble will have any impact whatsoever.

We have just have to be smart and try and spread out names thinly across various niches we believe will make it. As soon as you start regging 100+ names in a single niche, especially if they arent top names, you are in trouble because when you make any sales, its only paying off the renewals from the last 2 or 3 years, its not profit, so investing lightly in various niches is the smart way to go because you are never go to sell 100+ names in a single niche...it just wont happen.

I try not invest more than 50 names in a single niche but thats just me.

You summed it up fine, Giles. :xf.smile:

•••
Some seem disappointed in MR (as a tech) right now, don't be...
Your investment does not hinge on a few products.(at least it shouldn't)
It will be the majority of products released this year. Just not in the form you might have expected.
Samsung, Oculus, HP, Lenovo, Dell, Intel and others will have Goggle style MixedR products releasing this year.

The only delay issues have been with Glasses style MR where I mentioned many times of the problems of viewing in outdoor level sunlight. And if you succeed in doing that will you also be able to see what you are doing outside by moon light ? Some probably remember when I said this about Magic Leap.
But ML's first issue is making it small/light enough to fit on your face without costing you your wallet.
While I'm sure they have the display tech down it's a matter of how to feed it.
If ML finds itself in need of issuing more investment bonds, you are going to see them put some more hype out there about what their product can do. And it helps create anticipation.
And this makes what Apple does all the more interesting (to me anyway) in form and function.
(I am expecting glasses that plug-in to their phone)

It's never a question of what can be done. It's really a matter of what can be done at a price point that is affordable to the target market and still deliver the quality everyone desires or finds acceptable.
I may have some advantage in understanding that part of the equation, but it does not help with names except to keep me from 'magically leaping' (pun intended) to deep into things to early.
But in names, the early worm finds a better bird !

But I do want some to know where the over-hype starts.
It starts when a seedling company needs and attempts to attract funding (venture capital) or while trying to explain why a Co's bottom line looks poor because all the R&D being spent in a new field to the shareholders. They have to explain why the profits are not being returned to shareholders.
Amazon has to answer that to shareholders quite frequently. (think drone delivery and the like)
The statements are always more forward looking than reality, especially in timelines.
This gets amplified in the blog-o-sphere where some consider that NEWS.
But goes to show that creating enthusiasm is not that hard to do.
Politicians do it all the time.
They sell you the Corvette and give you the VW complete with false emissions.
No Hype from Apple as they do not need investors.

But if you are going to play future tech names, you better get use to that and limit your 'quantity' of purchases till the situation on the ground can prove or hint at a little more.
As previously stated, I don't take issue with the tech. This is about names for it.

Again, sorry for a long one but I thought it needed perspective at this point.

•••
@VRdommy I'm not sure most understand the concept of mixed reality.
I believe thats the reason for the disappointment if there is any.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back