IT.COM

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
The only reason HOLO is a thing is because Microsoft choose to use it in part of their PRODUCT BRANDS years ago and HOLO is generic, and HOLO tells the users what they are likely to expect it is, and it is not a limiting term that would sound incompatible depending on it's exact use.
So re-enforced by MS branding, it has a public awareness and multiple forms of use and was quickly adopted by others. You can not TM 'HOLO' being a generic dictionary word except for perhaps some narrowly defined purpose that would be hard to defend. I have a fair investment in the keyword.

I'm still waiting for others to brand with AR (some have) and MR (very very few).
The need for names with AR & MR are dependent on the need for someone to WANT or NEED to market the products or services with AR/MR in the name. They would be the likely buyers for it.

Great points in all your post, but I would say it was always inevitable that Holo would become the branding for what tech heads are calling 'mixed reality' (i.e. 3D 'holograms' superimposed upon the viewer's real word).

Seems to me Holo has been used for branding and entertainment purposes for anything remotely connected to holograms since...well the at least the1960's with the HOLOdeck.

I don't know if it was this forum or the old '3D domains are the next big thing' thread at Michael Berken's blog, but I remember somebody adamantly claiming that 'holograms/graphic' would be shortened to HG. LOL! I wonder if he's still renewing the HG names he registered back then.

Last edited:
•••
I don't know if it was this forum or the old '3D domains are the next big thing' thread at Michael Berken's blog, but I remember somebody adamantly claiming that 'holograms/graphic' would be shortened to HG. LOL! I wonder if he's still renewing the HG names he registered back then.

Ermm, that was me :) out of about a hundred I had at the time, I've kept just one, HGp*rn.com. Strangely though, alot of the prime keyword domains have been re-registered since I dropped them a few years back.

Last edited:
•••
Ermm, that was me :) out of about a hundred I had at the time, I've kept just one, HGp*rn.com. Strangely though, alot of the prime keyword domains have been re-registered since I dropped them a few years back.

Haha, good for you, and I hope my responses at the time played a part in your decision to save thousands of dollars by dropping 99 of them (and wont sue me if HG does take off).

Although 'Holo' is 4 letters, and 'HG' is 2, it actually takes longer to say 'HG' than it does 'Holo'. Holo is one of the most beautiful words in the English language (it's also pretty much universal - unlike MR etc.). I can't remember the technical name for a word like Holo in which all the syllables rhyme or form a pattern, but it is one of those rare words that things like trillion dollar futuretech industries were almost invented for.

•••
Haha, good for you, and I hope my responses at the time played a part in your decision to save thousands of dollars by dropping 99 of them (and wont sue me if HG does take off).

Although 'Holo' is 4 letters, and 'HG' is 2, it actually takes longer to say 'HG' than it does 'Holo'. Holo is one of the most beautiful words in the English language (it's also pretty much universal - unlike MR etc.). I can't remember the technical name for a word like Holo in which all the syllables rhyme or form a pattern, but it is one of those rare words that things like trillion dollar futuretech industries were almost invented for.

Someone here is in love..

I hope she won't disappoint you ;)

•••

keep-calm-and-love-holo-12.png

87b30e9adfa0a8cf7cbe0f5f4d71c07f.jpg

•••

Wow, I remember that? HG never quite made it.

I also remember the "Future Trends" auction with Stephen Douglas at SuccessClick (around 2009/10 if I remember correctly)...fantastic times

•••
I do have some Holo / Hologram / Gram domains

And now 1 HG...

I take my changes with HGP@rno in king

A 10 euro bet.

Domain Status Deleted And Available Again
Whois History 34 records have been archived since 2011-01-30
IP History 17 changes on 13 unique IP addresses over 6 years
Registrar History 1 registrar with 1 drop

10scj1k.png

Not a bad handreg considering the search volume is based on the two words combined without spaces.

Last edited:
•••

HGp*rn has between 1-10k a month search volume without spaces. You did a good handreg back in 2011. I know it is most likely a typo of HD but maybe some people will shorten the hologram+keyword in the future.

Last edited:
•••
Great points in all your post, but I would say it was always inevitable that Holo would become the branding for what tech heads are calling 'mixed reality' (i.e. 3D 'holograms' superimposed upon the viewer's real word).

Seems to me Holo has been used for branding and entertainment purposes for anything remotely connected to holograms since...well the at least the1960's with the HOLOdeck.

OH... How I remember that old 3D forum.
I read it often, but never posted much if any.
It started off well and turned into many folks going on wild tangents.
But I guess that happens with any niche.
But I have done well with many 3D's and hold more that still get plenty of looks.
And it's quite possible they will see renewed interest because of the previously mentioned format confusions.
It is pretty universal for media co's.

On a slightly differnt topic, I was thinking about those VR HMD sales numbers released recently.
Since GearVR outsold everything else combined, I do wonder how much larger a lead they would have had if not for the Note7 recall. And remember that the S8 is due out very soon and it is a powerhouse.

•••
•••
•••
Hi Gilecoley, yes I remember being extremely jealous of your 3DChannel guess you never found a buyer?

•••
Hi Gilecoley, yes I remember being extremely jealous of your 3DChannel guess you never found a buyer?

No still holding it, I had a $14k offer from a Canadian TV network back when Sky, DirecTV etc were releasing 3D Channels, but felt it was worth way more at the time so I countered high and they weren't interested, no regrets though. I have owned it for a long time so happy to sit on a bit longer, had quite a few offers over the years but not willing to sell cheap.

•••
$14k meant they could have been pushed to $20k, I would have accepted, but thats me lol

•••
$14k meant they could have been pushed to $20k, I would have accepted, but thats me lol

Yeah, I was bit greedy at the time but its because we weren't sure where 3D was going. TV networks have deep pockets :xf.wink:

•••
$20k could have bought you some very nice domains indeed

•••
•••
AR-HUD - AugmentedRealityHUD - AugmentedHUD

New Head Up Display with Augmented Reality allows drivers to keep their eyes on the road and stay informed like never before
• Using eight cameras and capable of projecting very large augmented images 10m in front of the car, Panasonic’s system seeks to improve safety as well as driver enjoyment and comfort
• Demonstration features a modified interior, with the HUD replacing the existing instrument cluster and many of the car’s physical controls
• System further underlines Panasonic Automotive’s ethos of providing technologies that make mobility safer, more comfortable, more environmentally friendly and more enjoyable

Last edited:
•••
AR-HUD - AugmentedRealityHUD - AugmentedHUD

New Head Up Display with Augmented Reality allows drivers to keep their eyes on the road and stay informed like never before
• Using eight cameras and capable of projecting very large augmented images 10m in front of the car, Panasonic’s system seeks to improve safety as well as driver enjoyment and comfort
• Demonstration features a modified interior, with the HUD replacing the existing instrument cluster and many of the car’s physical controls
• System further underlines Panasonic Automotive’s ethos of providing technologies that make mobility safer, more comfortable, more environmentally friendly and more enjoyable
3DHUD (2013) AR3D (2007) ...LOL...
==========

http://www.domaininvesting.com/reminder-future-trend-domain-auction-ends-in-two-hours/

I picked up holographyp&rn.com which was featured in this auction then aloud to drop
But this goes to show that just because a sale happens, it does not mean all similar keywords are lifted.
A pattern is needed and you must know the stories behind the sales as much as possible.

You can go back through the archives and look at sales that were 'investor buys' from 10 years ago that still have no end user. Sometimes that is just due to the over inflated value imposed by over speculation and other times that there is no end-user market.
But who knows in another 3 to 10 years ? Sometimes investors can't withstand the wait, which is normally longer than expected.

=========
Thinking of @gilescoley statement of greed... I have mentioned many times in these threads how greed is your worst enemy in domaining.
Greed is what makes it all work but to much of it will kill your career. While I'm sure your well aware of that, I was just pointing it out again as food for thought to the newer bunch.
It's the thing that makes you to top heavy (overhead) and unable to maintain your investment collection.

•••
Thinking of @gilescoley statement of greed... I have mentioned many times in these threads how greed is your worst enemy in domaining.
Greed is what makes it all work but to much of it will kill your career. While I'm sure your well aware of that, I was just pointing it out again as food for thought to the newer bunch.
It's the thing that makes you to top heavy (overhead) and unable to maintain your investment collection.

I totally agree with you and usually I'm not like that but sometimes you get attached to a name and it becomes like one of your children lol and you know what potential it has. Make sure if you do get a little greedy that you don't have regrets afterwards and think to yourself "Damn, I should have sold that name when that offer came along"...always think of the cash and what you can buy with it or how many renewals are paid off.

•••
I totally agree with you and usually I'm not like that but sometimes you get attached to a name and it becomes like one of your children lol and you know what potential it has. Make sure if you do get a little greedy that you don't have regrets afterwards and think to yourself "Damn, I should have sold that name when that offer came along"...always think of the cash and what you can buy with it or how many renewals are paid off.
Well, my thinking on it is more on the buying side where greed can get you in trouble while you not going to see it for some time. Most often because everyone underestimates how long they may need to hold them.

The selling side requires a balance (in my opinion) of time and value that you may need to hold it to acquire the price you have in mind. Unless you have a good category killer, you are unlikely to be able to hold out for the ultimate maximum. And sometimes a buyer with deep pockets only comes around one time !
So if a buyer is within 60% of the value I place on it and I think I may have to wait 3-5 years or more to get it and I may have already held it 3-5 years... Time to think real hard about it.

It's often time sensitive for a end user looking for a name and they will find a name. But will it be yours ?

•••
•••
Handregs in king:

CamHologram

Domain Status Deleted And Available Again
Whois History 16 records have been archived since 2010-12-29
IP History 16 changes on 12 unique IP addresses over 6 years
Registrar History 2 registrars with 1 drop

CamHG

Domain: hologramcam.com (not mine)
Registrar: GODADDY.COM, LLC
Registration Date:
2006-09-26

28lbawz.png

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back