Domain Empire

Hi I am brand new to this

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

decryn

Established Member
Impact
Hi Guys. My name is Declan, come from Ireland and live in Austria, If you had asked me two weeks ago what domaining was, then my answer would have been a reasonably good guess, but a guess non the less.But I watched a video on youtube ( and have watched quite a few since) and became interested.. So I did a little searching, joined up to godaddy and in a flash of excitement typed in domain names, found they were never registered so I bought them ,more than I should have probably. Please forgive me for the moment that I wont say what they are but they are mostly in German and I believe if I am clever I can pretty much corner the market.... big claims I know but it is a small market so not as impressive as it sounds. And most importantly I haven't a clue what I'm doing. I am over 45 and not exactly a computer genius. I don't want to say what they are because I have a few very important questions before I go any further. The domains I am thinking of are all for online trade only.
Q1. I understand .com is still the way to go but, trying to appeal to a German 'speaking' market, should I also look at buying .de, .at, .ch etc.? If so, then I am not sure I can afford this.
Q2. are the same names, but in a different language allowed? For example garden.com is garten.com in German.or is that a problem.. another example would be bet.com in German is wett,com
Q3. Now that I have the domain names, should I open them and make some sort a page, or do I just put them straight into parking until I learn a little more. I don't intend on using them and wouldn't even know where to start.
I have many more questions for later I am sure but any help with these would be great.
Thank you very much
Declan

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Welcome to the forum Declan!

Glad to have you here.

Read everything you can here on this forum.

•••
Well welcome aboard Decryn!

Great questions. I'll try to post some answers later.

All the best!

Last edited:
•••
HI @decryn

A1. Not from germany but still i have known that .de domains are quite popular. so you can go with it

A2. Of course it is allowed

A3.For starter you can list your domains at major marketplaces like sedo, afternic, godaddy etc

and Welcome to NP :)

•••
Hello Declan and welcome to nps!

•••
Welcome to NamePros . Good Luck (y)

•••
Thanks guys.. Is there a specific thread for these questions or am I good here?

•••
Hi Declan, Erin Go Bragh!

WelcomeNPPuzzle.jpg

•••
Thanks all. And Dnfolk a question please. What if I have garten.com. can anyone else open a garten.de?

•••
Welcome Declan. That flash of excitement is what brought many of us here. Read up get your questions answered before you buy more.

•••
•••
g'day Declan and welcome to NamePros

Cheers
Corey

•••
•••
•••
Hello Declan, welcome to Namepros.

•••
•••
Welcome to NPs, Declan Good Luck with your venture into domaining!

•••
Hello and welcome to NamePros!:)

•••
Welcome to NamePros. You have come to the right place to Learn about domaining, so make sure you Learn, LEARN and then LEARN some more. The Result will be you will Earn, EARN and then EARN some more. Best Luck. :)

•••
Hello Declan .. Welcome to Namepros.

The answers to your first 2 questions really depend mostly on the specific names.

That being said .. from what I've learned via lots of reading and podcasts, .de is one of the stronger ccTLD's and that if your end user target for the domain is German, then definitely grab the .de in addition to the .com

As for the variant languages .. technically they are completely separate and you can technically register any and all variant independently .. HOWEVER .. registering a name in a different language does not necessarily absolve you from active trademarks. If you stick to generic terms/words, then you should be safe .. but definitely do a little research about trademarks and domains before assuming a seemingly great domain is usable for a specific niche.

As for your 3rd question .. I think most domainers would advice against developing your domains. Particularly if you don't have any experience in doing that. Again .. the final answer to this question also really depends on the specific domain(s) .. but I'd suggest learning all you can about domains first .. as there is quite a bit to absorb to keep you busy for a several weeks/months!

Good luck moving forward with your domains! :)

•••
•••
Hey @decryn

Welcome to NP. Hope you njoy ur stay and all the best with ur domainaing adventures.

•••
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back