Domain Empire

Hi, I am GiGi! I am ready to sell some domains!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

GiGiNetix

Established Member
Impact
Hello, I am one of those serial domain hoarders that has a great idea for a website and then I never follow thru. In result, I have a few precious domain names I have been holding onto for years, and I am ready to let them go. They are like my babies!

I had to call GoDaddy for a technical issue with a website I am actually developing, and the associate (Julian, who was really cool and helpful) mentioned something about listing websites on their auction area. We delved into it and he has bought over 60 domains to list for sale!

This got my thinker spinning, and I have now been infatuated with finding primo domains and flipping them for a profit.

The reality is, even if you buy the domain for ten bucks and sell it for fifty, you just made 5x profit, a feat that would be astonishing on the stock market!

Well, I am not trying to shoot for the moon here, I think I have a few winners, one of them being:

gemstonehunter.com

I hope I get some encouraging people to say hello, as I am sure this business is cut throat, and many have probably lost their asses on buying shit tons of domains that they have sat on for a number of years. I do not intend to be one of those people.

Any guidance would be great, I am just starting out, my main concern is figuring out the formula for a successful domain name. My rule of thumb is two words or less that can be applied to a business, blog, hobby.

Thanks everyone!

GiGi

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks! Well, I am realizing my domain names are just not all that special lol, although they are special to me in some way or other. But here are my "good" ones:

cryptodoll / com
queenmountain / com
packagefreight / com
pairsroyal / com
pacifiable / com
gemstonehunter / com

Heh heh. I have formed some weird emotional attachment to a couple of these, which I see has me confused with value. I think its because I built a brand around them at one point in my life.

To be honest, the names you've got are too good for a beginner :xf.grin:

I felt similar emotional attachment to my first domain. Though not that good, I developed it into a content site and sold it for $36k last year. If you have the time and the skill, developing one of them will pay in the long run.

Weldon!

Last edited:
•••
To be honest, the names you've got are too good for a beginner :xf.grin:

I felt similar emotional attachment to my first domain. Though not that good, I developed it into a content site and sold it for $36k last year. If you have the time and the skill, developing one of them will pay in the long run.

Weldon!

Well, thanks for the vote of confidence. I am a bit of a wordsmith and have been buying domains for a long time, just either let them slip away or sit in my godaddy account, costing me money, because I was too attached to them to let them go. Ugh.

I am developing a content site right now, pioneerchick / com, that I hope to make into a passive income. I have thought about building content sites and flipping them in the past. How long did it take to build your site to flip?

•••
How long did it take to build your site to flip?

Took me five years. Earned $40k+ in Adsense, before selling it for one time cash payment of $36k last year

•••
Wow, if 100k are expiring a day, I wonder how many are being bought in a day!

Domain registry business seems to be where its at! Although I am pretty sure the market is cornered :xf.wink:

I've been seeing numbered domains like 661225 / com going for thousands and I am wondering why that is? Who uses numbers as a domain?? I don't think I have even ever visited a website with numbers for a domain. There must be some sort of niche?

Yes it sure sounds like a lot of work! I appreciate all the info. I put up a couple of domains on godaddy auctions and no action at all. But not really surprised about that! :xf.grin:

It seems that you focus on expiring domains instead of hand reg. Why is that?

For the number domains it's basically the Chinese market. Their language character set makes domains significantly more complex than traditional languages. Numbers really took off a few years back. Essentially both because Chinese put a lot of emphasis on numerology and superstitions .. but also in some cases numbers also sound like some words ... much like in English people use 2 to mean too or to ... and 4 to mean for ,, etc .. do a search for Chinese Domains and you'll find a ton of info.

Of the 50k domains that go to expiration auctions each day I think around 2-4% actually get picked up at auction and closeout .. possibly a few more when then got through registry drop and get completely deleted about a month and a half after that.

So if you look at them on the whole, they suck .. and honestly .. well over half the domains that are bought at auction and closeout also suck .. lol .. but at the end of the day it's easier to find a few gems in the 50,000 than it is to frustratingly try to find good word combinations. Most of the best business friendly combinations have been snatched up long ago .. of those .. sometimes people retire, upgrade/change their name, change their business, pass away, just don't have the time to develop, or simply forget to pay their renewals.

All the domains I shared in that link I posted in my previous post are all from auctions or closeout.

It's even more important for most newcomers to avoid hand registrations mainly because there is so much room to make mistakes. A simple plural instead of singular or vice versa can turn a great domain into a worthless one. Usually with expired domains somebody already thought it would be good for business. Certainly most of them aren't .. but after using your own knowledge/judgement, if you like it .. then that makes two people who gave it a thumbs up.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back