NameSilo

discuss Here's why .XYZ will fail

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
There has been a lot of hype lately for .xyz because of a small number of big sales. I see a lot of people overextending themselves and pouring a lot of their budget in this extension. Personally, I believe .xyz is doomed to fail. Maybe I'll eat my words, maybe I won't. Here is my case for why I think .xyz will fail:

1) Low number of sales

According to Namebio.com, in the last two years there have been only 867 sales. Only 359 of those have been over $1,000. Yes, these are only reported sales, but unimpressive none the less. Now, compare this with the number of .xyz registered in the past two years, and this number will seem even more minuscule. Most of the names that sold were also premium one word names.

2) No space for innovation

Which brings me to my next point. Because domainers are rushing to register every single available .xyz domain that is decent, it leaves little space for businesses to set up under the extension and promote the extension. This exposure is crucial in order for the TLD to grow. It's getting to the point where you can't find a decent two word .xyz and that's not because they are taken by businesses. Which will certainly stunt its growth.

3) It's ugly

Aesthetically and phonetically .xyz is ugly. It's three syllables, unlike .com, .me, .net, .co... Which makes it harder to say. It looks horrible when it's part of a design or even just typing it. It feels cheap.

4) People don't trust it

Because of all the reasons above and the cheap initial registration costs, there aren't enough legitimate businesses using the extension and there are lot of spammy sites. Starting to type in Google "is .xyz" gives a first suggestion of "is .xyz safe". Same goes for ".xyz domain" (third suggestion).

5) It's not early

I know many of you will say that it's still early for .xyz. But it isn't. It has been around since 2014. It had some initial hype because of Google using it and that hype hasn't materialized. I don't think it ever will.

That's just my two cents. What do you guys think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
😂 Did you know your up to 150 K in xyz sales a week is a “small” amount of sales? If that is a downward trajectory I want to see what the opposite looks like. (Glad you have a sense of humor about this too.)

Last edited:
•••
I think it also has negative connotations. It says 'the end'. To me a company using 'xyz' is saying 'use us last' or 'we're behind everyone else'. I would rather be .abc
But the spam and freebies killed it almost immediately after it started. So it's not a case of 'will' fail.. it already has years ago.

•••
•••
2) No space for innovation

Which brings me to my next point. Because domainers are rushing to register every single available .xyz domain that is decent, it leaves little space for businesses to set up under the extension and promote the extension. This exposure is crucial in order for the TLD to grow. It's getting to the point where you can't find a decent two word .xyz and that's not because they are taken by businesses. Which will certainly stunt its growth.
For this point 2) .com is even worse you can’t even find decent 3 words, the reality is end users really don’t care about it.

1642956233806.jpeg

1642956394441.jpeg
Ps. The web3 is real, .xyz is real.

Last edited:
•••
They are over 150 millions .com reg. so i am doubt that .xyz will achive this or any other extensions until apocalipse will come
😉
Essentially your argument is “it is number one now and therefore will remain number one for the foreseeable future.” It’s along the same lines of “it’s always been this way and will continue to be this way.” Conservative mindsets.

Plenty of examples in history where that mindset has led to a downfall of the once dominant thing and led way for things new and initially ridiculed.

Last edited:
•••
I think it's untrue when you say "the hype hasn't materialized", this is more than I ever expected xyz to become. Go to the first page of the main xyz thread on namepros and see my post of the names I owned, it's on the first page, even I did not see it becoming what it is today because If I did I would have made sure to continue registering it, but that's trends. I still think xyz is special though.

The hype has more than materialized. Where it might be in the future I really dont know, it might fail, but right now I don't see that happening. The reason I believe it wont fail is because of the numbers of registration .com has.

As far as I know there really has never been a true alternative to com, maybe XYZ is that, I don't know but trying to register .com names is a nightmare, everything is taken. You would have to rely on a new word being created or a trend that comes out of no where to hand reg something worth it.

It's my belief that Daniel Negari knew something going into this, everything he said about .xyz is starting to come true. It's one of the few times where I have seen someone say something and it turns out that way, that people who were registering back in 2015 would benefit greatly and for some it certainly turned out that way. Forget about .com.

Last edited:
•••
I think it's untrue when you say "the hype hasn't materialized", this is more than I ever expected xyz to become. Go to the first page of the main xyz thread on namepros and see my post of the names I owned, it's on the first page, even I did not see it becoming what it is today because If I did I would have made sure to continue registering it, but that's trends. I still think xyz is special though.

The hype has more than materialized. Where it might be in the future I really dont know, it might fail, but right now I don't see that happening. The reason I believe it wont fail is because of the numbers of registration .com has.

As far as I know there really has never been a true alternative to com, maybe XYZ is that, I don't know but trying to register .com names is a nightmare, everything is taken. You would have to rely on a new word being created or a trend that comes out of no where to hand reg something worth it.

It's my belief that Daniel Negari knew something going into this, everything he said about .xyz is starting to come true. It's one of the few times where I have seen someone say something and it turns out that way, that people who were registering back in 2015 would benefit greatly and for some it certainly turned out that way. Forget about .com.
I am referring to the initial hype after Google used .xyz. They had a real opportunity to take off and establish themselves as one of the top runners in the domain space. But they didn't.

•••
Have you contributed anything to this forum? Any sales? Any acquisitions?
All of a sudden you started a thread and claiming you are a saviour of the domaining community and posting .a thread xyz will fail.
I dont wanted to waste my time arguing with this trolling.
Period.

•••
The title of this thread is "Here's why .XYZ will fail".
Therefore you should also mention the pros. Compare the pros and cons. Then say cons outweigh pros and draw a conclusion that it will fail (if you can).

•••
Have you contributed anything to this forum? Any sales? Any acquisitions?
All of a sudden you started a thread and claiming you are a saviour of the domaining community and posting .a thread xyz will fail.
I dont wanted to waste my time arguing with this trolling.
Period.
Once again, you have done nothing to address my points, instead of just dismissing it as trolling. I have shared my opinion and that seems to trigger you. I've been a member of these forums longer than you have been domaining. But I can understand why it triggers you, because each year, you pay $200K to keep your .xyz domains relevant.

How is sharing my opinion that doesn't agree with yours, less valuable, than you sharing your opinion of the same thing (while having a SIGNIFICANT conflict of interest) any different? I don't care if .xyz succeeds or fails. It does nothing for me.

•••
That's not what the discussion and what the post is about. My statement is that I think .xyz will fail as an extension. Not whether or not people are allowed to register or believe in something.
Keyword: My statement and I think

So probably it’s better to change the title to “That’s why I think .xyz will fall. What do you think?”

Your current title gives an impression that it will definitely fail which nobody knows unless you are God or something

•••
I've never seen the value prop of .xyz although I believe the extension is perfect for Alphabet (ABC.XYZ)
AI (Artificial Intelligence)
CO (shorter version of .com, option when the .com is taken or price is too high)
.ME Personalized/Call to Action
.IO (computer, tech, dev)
.ORG (organizations, non-profits)

Harvard Business Review should do an article on the marketing of .xyz; this would be a cool case study,

What is the .XYZ brand? What does it symbolize, convey?

Disclaimer: 90% of my domain portfolio is .com. 9.5% = .AI, .DE, .ORG, .IO, .CO, .CO.UK, .ME..i have one .xyz that i also have in .io

•••
Why is an alternative opinion classed as trolling?

Hate is a strong emotional reaction. Facts are indisputable. The general public does not trust or understand .xyz domain names. That is a fact. Hit the streets and start asking random people. " Have you heard of .xyz? " or " Do you trust .xyz? " and I think we all know what the general consensus will be.

Dictionary word .xyz are popular because of the hype which is causing stupid sales. The hype will soon disappear and with it the sales. You can buy dictionary word .biz when once they were also part of a hype.
Well, the op has just given an arbitrary reason for it, nothing data back up.
So consider he is not trolling here is my answer 1 to 5 answers:
1) No, it’s high number of sales this year which Bob has given the report.

2) Huge space for innovation compared to .com, find a decent .com name is a nightmare.

3) It's cool

It looks sharp & clean all the letters tipped with vertices, those letters fits XR VR AR in looking.
4) People should trust it, according to spamhaus report .com is worse than .xyz.
(The lower % the better)
Ps. .xyz registry did a very good job on anti spamming.
1643082435929.jpeg

5) It’s a true new generic tld for wide international purposes, .com only stands for commercial, company.

And if you don’t mind and considering I am not trolling, here is why .com will fail:
1) It looks old.
2) can’t find any good 2 even 3 words to reg.
3) New Generations especially Z don’t like it.
4) Too expensive for new start up.
5) Many junk email as well.
6) big number registered means nothing for future perspectives, even Nokia has fallen.

Attachments

• 1643082405947.jpeg
    1643082405947.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
•••
So it's only about profit and greed not being honest and trying to sell things of value which benefit others? Trading .xyz is passing on something you know has absolutely no future value.

Which greed you talking about :ROFL: !! Nobody force buyers to buy !
Buyers are not stupid , They only buy what they like and see it valuable .

•••
If Xyz registry is clever, it has a massive chance to expand its use case to the education (esp edtech) sector, especially any language and (by extension) travel related companies as well as communications sector like pr, marketing, pr, Telco, voicetech, etc. Businesses like Linguaphone, Duolingo, Udemy, Skillshare, Yousician etc would be suitable types of businesses.

You saw it here first.
Plus the transport, infrastructure and logistics sector. Within this space, Satnav, telematics, signage and construction companies are another great fit for xyz.

•••
I've been around for over 20 years doing this profitably as a sideline. Some people will make money on any extension that comes out. The vast majority won't make anything regardless of the extension. If you like it, register/buy it. If you don’t, then move on.

But be aware a lot of us have suffered through .biz, .us, .ws, and .mobi and every other new extension that gets hyped and disappears. We don't want to gamble again if we feel we have better odds elsewhere.

If another extension actually becomes established, then I will trade it.

Until then, this is the same thread I've seen 100 times about all the others. someone should dig them up for a laugh.

Congrats to DNgear, who appears to be successfully riding the wave. if I was serious about .xyz, id be trying to reverse engineer her competitive advantage. I’m sure it isn’t lottery ticket luck 😀
On point. On the other 100+ threads, dig em' up for an educational moment too. All the questions raised by the OP have been visited and refuted, time and time again. And since those posts, we've seen growth both in sales and adoption.

The one thing I do want to reiterate, as done 100 times before, investors play a part in establishment. Shocker.

•••
Why all the .xyz sales now after 8 years? Hype and only hype. Hype = sales.
Of course hype plays a role. Huge role. There was lot of hype in 2000 too. The aftermath didn't mean the failure of an extension did it? I think what does survive after this current hype will help in laying a foundation in a functional alternatives. Or even premium word mainstreams. I was never fond of .xyz simply because I thought it looked ridiculous.

It's grown on me though, and I kind of get the "why". There were no NFTs or blockchain hype 8 years ago, and to understand that you need a change in perspective, which actually I still don't have, but learning.

•••
.net is better than .xyz so what's your point?
This isn’t the 90s…no one use .net. Dead extension.

Might as well start using floppy drives if you’re buying .net honestly.

Last edited:
•••
Those who reg allot of .XYZ may develop xyzophrenia, you know it's a mental health condition.

Last edited:
•••
.net is biggest failure of all extensions

I'm not even a fan of .NET, but...
NET.gif

What other (authorized by ICANN) DNS extensions exist that you can utilize as a wallet address

Ethereum has a partnership w/ .xyz to utilize .xyz domains as crypto wallet addresses’

.co and .mobi do not have a partnership w/ any blockchain companies to coordinate a means to conduct transactions via crypto-currency

the ability to conduct crypto-currency transactions using the name as a crypto wallet address partnered w/ Ethereum

Ethereum naming system partners w/ .xyz

Convinced yet?

why didn’t Verisign approach Ethereum, or another alt crypto currency platform ...

LOL You'd think this would be a huge clue, but no.

The day more than 8 people and their dog care about attaching a domain name to an ETH wallet (aka never) is the day .COM does it and nobody even remembers .XYZ can.

Last edited:
•••
As a business man I don't really care much about the hype or the future.
As long as I get in and out at the right time and make some profit.
I think many people losing money because they think too much and dig the hole too big.
I am simple and don't dig hole.

Your wife is ok, right?

•••
This thread will lead to nowhere as there will always be two sides of the story.
If you don't like or believe in the extension then don't buy it. It's simple like that why make it a big story.
People on the left will prove people on the right are wrong.
It can all be stop here so your friends can do some buying/selling to make money rather than engage in this thread.
You are not helping anyone - You are hurting them.
I think your wife logged into your account again Johnn

•••
The reason why .xyz won't fail is because it includes the letter z and the letter z is the name of the axis that leads (in the positive direction) to the top and nothing can change this.

1643980180572.png

Last edited:
•••
Ugh! :cautious: Another one of those thousands of ''.xyz is doomed!!!'' threads. I think you guys are more responsible for hyping it up by creating threads like these every day than the actual sales.

•••
block.xyz.....
?

as crypto name it's quite interesting.

I however, like square.com a little better.
As it is already established.

And what is better to say:
I pay with square.
OR
I pay with block.xyz

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back