IT.COM

discuss Here's why .XYZ will fail

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
There has been a lot of hype lately for .xyz because of a small number of big sales. I see a lot of people overextending themselves and pouring a lot of their budget in this extension. Personally, I believe .xyz is doomed to fail. Maybe I'll eat my words, maybe I won't. Here is my case for why I think .xyz will fail:

1) Low number of sales

According to Namebio.com, in the last two years there have been only 867 sales. Only 359 of those have been over $1,000. Yes, these are only reported sales, but unimpressive none the less. Now, compare this with the number of .xyz registered in the past two years, and this number will seem even more minuscule. Most of the names that sold were also premium one word names.

2) No space for innovation

Which brings me to my next point. Because domainers are rushing to register every single available .xyz domain that is decent, it leaves little space for businesses to set up under the extension and promote the extension. This exposure is crucial in order for the TLD to grow. It's getting to the point where you can't find a decent two word .xyz and that's not because they are taken by businesses. Which will certainly stunt its growth.

3) It's ugly

Aesthetically and phonetically .xyz is ugly. It's three syllables, unlike .com, .me, .net, .co... Which makes it harder to say. It looks horrible when it's part of a design or even just typing it. It feels cheap.

4) People don't trust it

Because of all the reasons above and the cheap initial registration costs, there aren't enough legitimate businesses using the extension and there are lot of spammy sites. Starting to type in Google "is .xyz" gives a first suggestion of "is .xyz safe". Same goes for ".xyz domain" (third suggestion).

5) It's not early

I know many of you will say that it's still early for .xyz. But it isn't. It has been around since 2014. It had some initial hype because of Google using it and that hype hasn't materialized. I don't think it ever will.

That's just my two cents. What do you guys think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Y’all are blabbing about how xyz will fail while @DNGear sold metadata.xyz for 50k.

•••
Big Brother Popcorn GIF by Pop TV

•••
Plenty of xyz threads no need for one specifically with your opinions. If you want to know what people think go to one of the existing threads or did you just want to stir the pot?
This is a section for "domain discussion". Or are we allowed one thread for the entire forums per extension? :zippermouth:

•••
Negative marketing is a technique that involves painting your business competitors in a bad light. It is a ploy that is often used by companies and businesses at large to make their products look better than their competitors' in the eyes of consumers.

•••
That's just from names they're checking though, not the total registered. If we assume 150m .COMs and 4m .XYZ, then based on the numbers in your post:

3719 bad .COM sites from 150000000 = 0.0025%

396 bad .XYZ sites from 4000000 = 0.0099%

I don't think it's much of an issue though. More people simply haven't heard of XYZ at all than have heard it's a bad extension.
First, it is impossible to analyze all domains because the population size is too large, but their sample size is large enough to be statistically significant.

Second, your interpretation is wrong. "3719" and "396" are from sample size, not population size. It is wrong to apply them with population size figures. The correct calculations are:
Estimated bad .com sites: 150,000,000 * 4.5% = 6,750,000
Estimated bad .xyz sites: 4,000,000 * 2.6% = 104,000

Third, as for your last sentence, please read completely my writing (especially point 3 and 4) as I already explained it.

Last edited:
•••
Warren Buffet says be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful. I see a lot of blind yolo XYZ greed but nothing backing it up as more than a hot trend.
Seems like you’re fearful of xyz 🤣

•••
Highly recommend not to invest in any .xyz domains. Let others buy .xyz that is considered to be having low sales and no space for innovation, ugly, not trustworthy, and old by someone.

•••
Thanks to @Bob Hawkes the newest post 40 mins ago, that’s a wow for .xyz.
1642960767631.jpeg

•••
As per squadhelp recent 2021 in review report , They found an increase in buyer interest in the last 2-3 months of 2021 for the .xyz .

1642980743457.png

1642980776456.png

.​

Last edited:
•••
Guys, let me ask you this. Let's say you own 20,000 domains in .xyz. There are 50 different threads in these forums praising .xyz and how it's the next big thing. Then, there is one that says it isn't. Do you:

A) Ignore the thread
B) Respond with why you disagree with the post and provide some good points, as you have extensive knowledge with that particular extension.
C) Reply 3-4 times how the thread is trolling and how you won't respond to trolling, all the meanwhile responding to "trolling". Without contributing a single logical point.

Before posting this, it was just an opinion I had in the last few years watching .xyz. But after sharing this opinion, and seeing how the very same people who are pushing this extension reply, I am more than ever convinced that this is a house of cards that will fall. I am yet to see any good points made otherwise.

•••
•••
So wait Has it Failed Lately ... No
Are people still buying it ... probably
Are people using it ... Sure

So why you think its failing

•••

The Queen of XYZ in namepros.
You got on the wave at the right time... the hight investment with more than 20k XYZ domains you have also helped.

Congrats!
I hope you are enjoying it in the maldives islands under a palm tree.
if there is a free place for me, call me.

•••
Don't wake her up. She is still sleeping! sh...

•••
My .xyz sales already reached 400K in 22 days. Let them troll and get peace.
Just because something opposes your view, doesn't mean it's trolling. Like I said, it's my opinion. You may have another. Especially given the fact that you own a good lot of one word .xyz domains and have made some significant sales. However, this applies to people who are trying to get in on the "gold rush" of "xyz". Though you haven't really made any points on why ".xyz" will succeed as an extension.

Last edited:
•••
This is obviously a troll thread but I like it, it’s just that people tend to say something that opposes to their subconsciousness, as more people hated .xyz means more people love it and more people bashed it means more people are afraid of it, so the real situation is when a .xyz dictionary word drops domainers will desperately going to catch.

•••
As far as I know there really has never been a true alternative to com, maybe XYZ is that, I don't know but trying to register .com names is a nightmare, everything is taken. You would have to rely on a new word being created or a trend that comes out of no where to hand reg something worth it.
This is the exact statement that would cause me to turn the other direction. Every extension that isn't .com is an alternative to .com. I would go with .net before .xyz. Even then, I would invest more money in the .com before any other extension.

•••
I saw some people making comparisons of .xyz to .com. If we compared sales of .com to .xyz:

137 mil .com names registered
3.5 mil .xyz names registered

Since .xyz has only 2.6% of the amount of .com names we can use that to find approximately how many sales we should see of .xyz vs .com.

According to Namebio, there were 240,431.com reported sales in the past two years. 2.6% of that should be 6142. In reality, the number of reported sales of .xyz for the last two years on Namebio is 867. That's 86% less.
Your calculation method is not proper because number of registrations increases and decreases throughout a whole year, while number of sales only increases. The number of registrations increases by 50% from 2.4M in 2020 Jan to 3.6M today (https://namestat.org/xyz), so your calculation method cannot approximately reflect the reality.

The appropriate way (similar to Asset Turnover Ratio used in accounting) is:
Number of sales of year / [(beginning number of registrations of year + ending number of registrations of year) / 2]

Or a more accurate way (if you have enough info) is:
Number of sales of year / daily or monthly average number of registrations of year

Besides, you better to use 1-year time interval instead of 2-year time internal because there can be significant changes in a year.

Just an academic sharing.

•••
We don't need to convince you or anyone here William. Bob took the time, I saw your response coming even before you created the thread.

There are those that made their choices long ago with regards to .xyz, or any new G for that matter. The bed has been made.

Best in your future endeavours.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, .com is a top extension

Why you disagree?
.com is the best extension but it isn't the top extension. Only .top is the top extension.

•••
If Xyz registry is clever, it has a massive chance to expand its use case to the education (esp edtech) sector, especially any language and (by extension) travel related companies as well as communications sector like pr, marketing, pr, Telco, voicetech, etc. Businesses like Linguaphone, Duolingo, Udemy, Skillshare, Yousician etc would be suitable types of businesses.

You saw it here first.

•••
•••
i recently purchased a .xyz after reading few comments here, this one word popped into my head. Beat ya this time
Abstractdomainer thread perfect example. A few people posting there belong in this, demographic, I will call it.
This thread, another group of the same demographic, different people mostly. Reg 6 years and drooped. The .net was reg for 18 years and dropped. I grabbed xyz not now but right now. The .net some noob can book that. Or no one ever will.
.net is biggest failure of all extensions
Some succeed and some fail doing the exact same thing. However times are changing.
Visit recent sale reported on dnjournal Beem dot xyz
Go ask them why they invested in an extension that means the end.
Why book an xyz and create a brand when google owns the matching .com?
Narrow minded people can be the most successful, as they focus on one thing, but that doesn’t mean it the only way to do it.
I am on the xyz money train. Hop on before all the two word seats are gone
Or visit Swetha.xyz if you want to ride first class

•••
@karmaco why is .xyz different to .biz?
Can you use .biz as a crypto wallet address

What other (authorized by ICANN) DNS extensions exist that you can utilize as a wallet address

The number one company in terms of online presence is using the name

abc.xyz

The number one US “P2P” transaction payment platform is using

block.xyz

The second most valuable crypto currency, Ethereum has a partnership w/ .xyz to utilize .xyz domains as crypto wallet addresses’ for NFT artists and collectors to conduct their business’ more efficiently instead of typing a long string of #’s

where does Amazon.xyz go

where does Apple.xyz go

where does Facebook.xyz go

Do you think the IT employees of these companies are not prepared in the event of the meta verse and web3

My advice to anyone, if you think .xyz is a fad, it isn’t > it’s only going up and you heard it here ! The train already took off, some of you can get on the same track, some of you can find another train !

Last edited:
•••
As said by Michael Castello - I received an email one day in 1996 from someone in Germany. A professor wanted to purchase Whisky.com. I thought I could possibly make some money and I offered him the name for $1,000. He told me he could register any domain name for $100 and declined my offer. I told him that $100 was no incentive for me to sell. Funny thing, he wrote me the very next year and offered me the $1,000. I told him what was $1,000 last year was now $10,000. He scoffed and said that was preposterous. Lo and behold, a year later he again came back with an offer of $10,000 and again I told him what was $10,000 last year is $100,000 this year. I never heard from him again

~

And then he sold the name for $3.1M

All about the right time, right person, and right place ... and ... do you have the patience ... the majority do not
Yes there are always stories.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back