Dynadot

Help! What to do in this situation please advice

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

noobian

Account Closed
Impact
Somebody bought my domain that I really don't want to sell. I listed it and 2 days later when I came back to de-list it it was already sold and paid for. What do I do? What punishments are there for sellers for not completing the sale? Its at GoDaddy's.
Please advise. The matter bothers me so much I drove through the red light 2 days ago at 65 km/h and didnt even notice it until someone tried to make a turn. And yes, I am a noob at domains.
Any advise here or through pm will be deeply appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Be mindful...honor the sale and move along.

•••
Where did you have this listed?
Probably not here since they paid for it.

Once you list at any auction site, godaddy-sedo-namecheap-etc, and someone pays for it, you sold it!
So I think you are just having some seller remorse and that is your problem, not ours.

So, being a noobie you say, yet you knew enough to list a domain for sale and obviously with a price, you should know enough to go ask where you sold the domain, not here!
Like, there aint a darn thing I or anyone else can do to help you.
Except to say, lesson learned!
And go back to where you sold it and cry and whine to them, and not us!

•••
Complete the sale like you agreed to.

•••
I'd love to but I can't, there is too much at stake for me. Let's put it this way. Suppose I died when going though the red light the other day. The buyer's money had never reached me. I never pushed the domain obviously. What happens with the domain? Is it my family's or buyer's? What godaddy does with unfortunate sellers like me? Charges a sale's fee? Will they push the domain on their own?

•••
I have sold domains that I really did not want to for the price I set ! But I honored the sale as I would want a seller to do if I was buying.

Let it Go and Move On. (It will hurt your Rep.)

And Yes the buyer will get the Domain anyway !!

•••

You sold it. Period. You need to honor your commitment.

Take this as a lesson learned, and delist your unwanted BIN domains.

If you're not sure about selling a domain, list it as a "Make offer." Then you can cancel the negotiations if someone makes an offer and you have changed your mind.

Keep in mind that your business reputation is priceless and no amount of money can buy a good rep back.

•••
I'd love to but I can't, there is too much at stake for me.

You shouldn't have listed it for sale then.

You offered something at a certain price, the buyer accepted and paid. You have a binding agreement and you are obligated to complete the deal.

•••
I have sold domains that I really did not want to for the price I set !
I stood up when applauding to you! Good job.

And Yes the buyer will get the Domain anyway !!
In this case who will push the domain? Registrar? The registrar can't force me to accept the payment.

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

You sold it. Period. You need to honor your commitment.

Take this as a lesson learned, and delist your unwanted BIN domains.

If you're not sure about selling a domain, list it as a "Make offer." Then you can cancel the negotiations if someone makes an offer and you have changed your mind.

Keep in mind that your business reputation is priceless and no amount of money can buy a good rep back.

Excellent advice, however, I am not a businessman. You can have my business reputation for a quarter.

•••
Put it this way:
If you do not accept the sale?
Do not ever think of trying to sell a domain in this forum, or any other domain forum.
And if you say used godaddy for this sale? They may never allow you to sell again.

The driving down the road, the almost dying, blah blah blah...
Is just that, blah blah blah blah....

Seems like you are really looking for someone to agree with you and tell you to stop the sale.
Not going to happen here!

•••
Congratulations on your sale!

•••
I stood up when applauding to you! Good job.

In this case who will push the domain? Registrar? The registrar can't force me to accept the payment.

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

Excellent advice, however, I am not a businessman. You can have my business reputation for a quarter.

Is the domain also registered at Godaddy?

•••
Somebody bought my domain that I really don't want to sell. I listed it and 2 days later when I came back to de-list it it was already sold and paid for.

The buyer either got a huge bargain or you got lucky and sold a domain in two days of listing it.

congrats on your first sale !! I guess not the way you wanted it... but you got a sale. :blink:

•••
Let the sale go through; 'reputation' is simply another word for honesty, in terms of honoring your deals, it's not just a 2-dimensional word meaning nothing. Choose what kind of person you want to be, even if that means losing something you really want. What separates the good and strong people from the a-holes is what you do when things aren't going your way, not when things are.

We've all made deals that in hindsight we truly regret, lost names that in hindsight we didn't want to lose.

When the new owner has the domain, email them an offer for what the domain is worth to you. They might be very amenable to flipping for an instant small profit rather than waiting for a larger one.

Good luck :)

•••
•••
The issue is more than just a moral one, although that should play in to your decision making process, you also have a legal obligation to sell them the domain.

I am currently dealing with a seller who has 'changed their mind' after coming to an agreement and me sending the payment to escrow. I could go after that domain through legal channels, but probably won't as it's not worth my time.

Who knows what your buyer's motivation is, but by not following through on your part of the contract you are opening yourself up to the possibility of a lawsuit.

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Suppose I died when going though the red light the other day. The buyer's money had never reached me. I never pushed the domain obviously. What happens with the domain?

You didn't die. Faking your own death to keep a domain name is a bad idea.

•••
Just curious, why do you not want to finish the sale?

Is it because you now think its worth more then you sold it for?
When you listed it you thought is was worth what you sold it for, what changed?

Trust me we have all left good money on the table every once in a while.
I just sold a domain for a few hundred that I knew was worth a few grand but I needed more capital to buy a much better domain.

You win some, you lose some, that's how it goes.

Take the money and re-invest it in a better domain.

If you really want to welsh on your deal you may get away with it but you will ruin your ties with Godaddy not to mention the buyer may find a way to slam you somehow.

Here is my advice,

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz0NKWpRO6g"]Steve Miller Band - Take The Money & Run - YouTube[/ame]

B-)

•••

I've only ever sold domains through Godaddy premium listings. Does anyone know if Godaddy automatically pushes domains sold in auction the way they do for a premium sale?

I find it curious that you had to go back to the listing to find out it sold. You didn't get an email from Godaddy about the sale?

•••
So let me get this straight:

1) YOU posted a domain for sale.
2) YOU set a price for the domain

Someone has purchased that domain fair and square and you don't want to own up and follow through?
Legally that buyer is entitled to your name.

I don't understand how you can have the face to refuse to go through with the sale.

Are you prepared to soil your reputation in the domaining industry over this domain?

I've made offers for domains that I thought we're a bit high, but I always followed through because it was the right thing to do.

Read this, it's an example of a classy domainer:

http://morganlinton.com/my-latest-flip-dreamvodka-com/

He was negotiating a 10k sale and the buyer purchased it for 2.5k at Afternic.

He sold for $2.5k because it was right thing to do. It was his mistake that cost him $7.5k.

And I highly doubt you lost that much on this domain.

So finalize the deal and do the right, honorable, and upstanding thing!

Seriously, this industry needs less deadbeat buyers and sellers.

Skinny

•••
You have to tell GoDaddy where you want the funds paid when you list a domain. But they won't pay you until the domain is pushed. If you renege on your commitment, GoDaddy WILL ban you from their auctions forever. The buyer is going to hire a hitman TO KILL you. You won't get any sympathy or the advice you want on this forum, because you are a DISHONEST person.

•••
I've only ever sold domains through Godaddy premium listings. Does anyone know if Godaddy automatically pushes domains sold in auction the way they do for a premium sale?

I find it curious that you had to go back to the listing to find out it sold. You didn't get an email from Godaddy about the sale?
Not only I didnt get an email, I don't even see it in my selling lists as " sold", even now. I literally had to search for the domain on other sites to see that it is not " for sale " anymore.

•••
•••
Not only I didnt get an email, I don't even see it in my selling lists as " sold", even now. I literally had to search for the domain on other sites to see that it is not " for sale " anymore.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EBsLOJv-yI"]O Brother - That don't make no sense - YouTube[/ame]

I think we are being played :|

•••
]O Brother - That don't make no sense - YouTube[/url]

I think we are being played :|

All I have from Godaddy are confirmations of other registrations and emails with discount codes. I got an email from escrow , even though I dont have an escrow account

•••
Nobody likes deadbeat buyers. Nobody likes deadbeat sellers either. Complete the sale, it's a legally binding contract that both you & the buyer has entered into. If you don't, the buyer could sue you for it.

What do you mean "I'd love to but I can't, there is too much at stake for me"? Is the domain a developed money making site?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back