IT.COM

question Help neded: I received an Offer, And Not sure if legitimate not

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Flipper2020

Impact
Hello every one.

I have an LLL .net domain, and I received and offer from someone who claims to by a lawyer and is representing an investor

This is the exact email as received:

I represent an investor who is going to buy ( domain Name). for an online startup.

The buyer offers a price in $ 20 000 - $ 30 000 range (based on your certified appraisal).

Are you still interested in selling? Are you an experienced seller?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely yours,

I answered the email by saying yes I am interested.

they followed by another email that says:

The buyer is a professional investor.

My commission is paid by him.

The buyer offers a price in $ 20 000 - $ 30 000 range (based on your certified appraisal).

Here is description of the sale process:

1. You send me your appraisal certificate. The certificate must include only 2 things to be accepted by my buyer:

- Independent valuation of the market price. Only manual valuations are accepted (no script based appraisals are allowed). If the valuation comes higher, he will increase the price accordingly. My client does not want to risk and doesn't accept services that use scripts. If you are unsure about some service feel free to ask me.

- Trademark infringement verification. It proves your domain has no trademark problems. He would like this verification to be included in the appraisal report. Some appraisal agencies include the TM verification in their certificates.

2. My client receives your certificate and we start the sale process. He can send the funds direct to you or via an escrow service of his choice.
3. You get the funds from him and transfer your domain to the new owner (my buyer).

-----

My Question is
I am not sure if this offer legitimate , I am new at this and not sure if should go ahead and follow up or just ignore this completely

Does anyone went through this experience before.

Any advises,
or
Ideas

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Just tell him that your price is your price, (no certified appraisal) if you client wants the name, buy it (or make a reasonable offer).

•••
There is an online scam where a swedish lawyer claims an investor wants your domain and then they try and suck you in to do a paid domain appraisal. I have sold directly to international buyers though. Last international sale was to Russia.

•••
this is scam, my domain got offer $15k...
but i must pay some money to get certified appraisal
i want not do that, so i say to him buy at auction with price xxx-xxxx and he gone...

•••
•••
as I said before, make him send you a certificate that the buyer is legitimate

•••
•••
I use to receive a few when I first started. Haven't received any in the past few years.
These scammers like to target starters.

•••
scam, if they want your domain, they don't need a certified appraisal, they just are trying to make money off of certified appraisals.

•••
Do they (the sender) operate appraisal service?

If not what's the point having it made anywhere ?
(OK they made a new friend by making fun of me)

•••
Scam.. Please Avoid that mail..

•••
This is a well known scam.

Many of us have gotten a similar email.

Don't fall for it.

•••
Got the same email yesterday.
Told them to hop it.

Scam 100%

•••
When someone asked for appraisal, no doubt it is a 100% scam. It's an old school trick, sadly still on cyber space. :(

•••
scum and scam, sorry to say.

Better you know now, and well done for asking here first.

•••
Appraisal scam. Run!

Your gut told you something was wrong. Good to listen. Well done.

Last edited:
•••
just send him the escrow buy now link

•••
Fully understand it's a scam.

Just ask myself why they are doing it.
And how they are supposed to profit from.

Do they link to appraisal services? (they own or have affiliation with)

Cause just pushing for having someone pay for appraisal at any "trusted provider" .. they won't make a single $

•••
Scam.

They keep doing this to domain owners. "The too good to be true offers"

•••
I also received this scam mail for a -net domain.

Allegedly it's from a lawyer from Switzerland.
With orthographic mistakes and the company's name was "VPS Hosting" hahaha :)

The best is that they just mention a big amount of "$", but which $: US-$, Canadian-$, Namibia-$ ?

Directly in the trash can with it.

•••
Yup scam , had a very similar email a few weeks back! Luckily checked straight away online via a quick Google search which proved my suspicions , like someone said above, lots of info about!
Always best to check!

•••
Thanks for all you.
I was suspicious for the beginning but I jut want to make sure.
Now it is clear that it is scam

•••
Do they (the sender) operate appraisal service?

If not what's the point having it made anywhere ?
(OK they made a new friend by making fun of me)

@TDM .. usually they will follow up with a list of 2-3 appraisal services that they obviously own or are affiliated with. Maybe 1-2 are theirs and they add a 3rd one that is better known and obviously not them .. but then they'll make sure the ones that are theirs is cheaper so the target for the scam will very likely just go with the cheapest.

This is a very well known scam that has been going on forever! :(

•••
I will follow up with them carefully until they gave up just to learn their procedure

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back