IT.COM

question Help me solve this enigma about a name I apparently own, received an offer, but can't find...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I just received an offer on a short two-word domain. Since the name didn't look familiar, I thought it is maybe a name I dropped sometime ago. Anyways, I immediately visited the name to see if it lead me to one of my landing pages in a marketplace.

The name actually redirects to the contact page of the website of my domain business. That's where the potential buyer found my email. I checked Whois to see where I have the domain registered and it is at NameBright. I immediately went to NameBright to check my portfolio there, but the name isn't in my NameBright account. I do not remember when or how I acquired that name.The original registration year for that domain is 2015.

The domain Whois data is under privacy and it just shows NameBright's name and nameservers. It expires in September this year.

Question: Could it be possible that I have it at an unknown registrar that happens to be a partner of NameBright and maybe forgot it? Do you know of any registrars that are part of or related to NameBright?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Have you searched your email accounts? Try googling the domain or checking your dropcatch account.

•••
Yes, checked my email and can’t find any trace. I use two emails for registrations, a Gmail, from where I have never deleted anything. But there’s another custom company email from which messages might have been deleted.

•••
Namebright privacy usually redirects to your email.
Try sending an email to the email shown in the privacy email address. If you receive that email, you can then use that as proof that you own the domain so -maybe- Namebright support can push the domain to you.

•••
Have you tried contacting Namebright in case it is in another registrar?

•••
Not yet. I’m planning to contact them...

Last edited:
•••
I have had situations where names direct to nameservers after I let them expire. I have seen this with a few of my parking names. It might be something like, the name gets auctioned off and that they dont get reset and the name does not officially expire.

Im not sure though just my 2 cents. Maybe you can look at your namebright payment history. Find the purchase for that name, and follow the trail to see that youve been renewing ?

If you have not payed for registration, but the name is up its more than likely not in your portfolio anymore.

Again no guarantee just my thoughts

•••
I have had situations where names direct to nameservers after I let them expire. I have seen this with a few of my parking names. It might be something like, the name gets auctioned off and that they dont get reset and the name does not officially expire.

Im not sure though just my 2 cents. Maybe you can look at your namebright payment history. Find the purchase for that name, and follow the trail to see that youve been renewing ?

If you have not payed for registration, but the name is up its more than likely not in your portfolio anymore.

Again no guarantee just my thoughts
This is what I was thinking. The name has been moved to another owner for whatever reason (expired, caught, bought etc) and the name servers were not updated.
I've had names for a year or more before I've put them up for sale and when I go into DNS they were on some obscure site from before I purchased them all that time.

•••
Could it be that you have two Namebright accounts?

•••
Did you buy it from huge domains on a payment plan, or something, then it could be in that folder which is separate.

•••
whats a hint to the domain name?

•••
This is such a strange situation @infosec3

Do you have access to tools such as DomainIQ that would give you a Whois history to see at least when there were changes in past?

Even if not that, it might be worthwhile putting it in free HosterStats and it would show you the hosting history of the name, that may give hints.

If you have access to a NameBio subscription plan you could search to see if there was a sale in the name less than $100 that might show you a likely acquisition from an expiring auction, for example.

It seems to me the most likely thing is it was sold, but somehow still points to you, if you feel that is possible at all.

I presume you have put it in Dofo to see if it is listed for sale places, as another possible hint.

Best wishes figuring it out, and if you discover you do own it, hope you get a great sale! I wish I could sell some names that I don't even know I own maybe! :xf.grin:

Please be sure to update this so we can all find out what the ending to this mystery is! :xf.cool:

Bob

•••
My guess is you owned a domain, let it expire or sold it, and the nameservers were not changed.

Brad

•••
I have ended up with names i never bought only notice them when expiring or working out why i have strange email. Had a couple that must have come in with transfers.

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back