Dynadot

discuss Hello Sir to You A-Hole in 10 emails or less

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
gettyimages-458810437 (1).jpg

I received an email inquiry on a nice two word .com and the initial offer was $75

Since I list a lot of my domains at godaddy with a $20 opening bid I am used to getting lowball offers and I have a policy to simply ignore them. The above mentioned email was no exception and I did not even think about it, I simply pressed delete.

Over the course of the next few days I received numerous inquiries from 3 different email addresses on the same domain. Each time the offer was under $100 with an inquiry of "How Much". I have an internal policy that I do not respond to offers under $1000 so I figured the guy would eventually get the point and up his offer. Well I was wrong, no higher offer came, but the emails continued. The first one started with sir and the last one called me an A-Hole.

The tone of the emails got more irate with each one. Having never conversed with the guy I was astonished at the time and effort put into the emails. He seemed to be having a conversation with himself telling me why he needed the domain, his history, and even how many kids he had. Yet he left out anything that could identify him or something that would indicate to me that he was a serious end user.

Anyways.... long story short, I just received another email with some very colorful language, not sure if that is supposed to intimidate me into responding or to give him his desired $75 sale.

PS. I make it very clear on my website that $1000 is the minimum bid on my domains so I don't really get where all the anger is coming from.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Show attachment 140694

I received an email inquiry on a nice two word .com and the initial offer was $75

Since I list a lot of my domains at godaddy with a $20 opening bid I am used to getting lowball offers and I have a policy to simply ignore them. The above mentioned email was no exception and I did not even think about it, I simply pressed delete.

Over the course of the next few days I received numerous inquiries from 3 different email addresses on the same domain. Each time the offer was under $100 with an inquiry of "How Much". I have an internal policy that I do not respond to offers under $1000 so I figured the guy would eventually get the point and up his offer. Well I was wrong, no higher offer came, but the emails continued. The first one started with sir and the last one called me an A-Hole.

The tone of the emails got more irate with each one. Having never conversed with the guy I was astonished at the time and effort put into the emails. He seemed to be having a conversation with himself telling me why he needed the domain, his history, and even how many kids he had. Yet he left out anything that could identify him or something that would indicate to me that he was a serious end user.

Anyways.... long story short, I just received another email with some very colorful language, not sure if that is supposed to intimidate me into responding or to give him his desired $75 sale.

PS. I make it very clear on my website that $1000 is the minimum bid on my domains so I don't really get where all the anger is coming from.
Thanks for sharing. By the way, I received a $2 offer on a 12 year old keyword (.com) domain today. I replied with $9999 and the guy said, OK I am willing to pay you max $5 for this domain. Didn't reply him till now :)

•••
I'm a lone wolf, I do most everything in house, I don't like paying commissions so I use marketplaces quite sparingly. My outbound is what I rely on the most.

I’d really appreciate if you can share your strategy on the following:

1) What “profile” you use when you do outbound?

Do you present yourself as Frank from MapleDots?
Or Frank from [your other website not related to domains]?
Or maybe you pretend you’re an average guy who owns the domain and send from @gmail.com?

2) Where do you forward the domain in question during your outbound and negotiation process?

•••
I’d really appreciate if you can share your strategy on the following:

1) What “profile” you use when you do outbound?

Do you present yourself as Frank from MapleDots?
Or Frank from [your other website not related to domains]?
Or maybe you pretend you’re an average guy who owns the domain and send from @gmail.com?

2) Where do you forward the domain in question during your outbound and negotiation process?

Sorry, I don't share how I do my outbound, there are a couple of unique things involved that I don't care to share on a public forum.

As far as pretending goes....
Read this
https://www.namepros.com/threads/what-will-you-do-with-21-views-within-1-hour.1119116/#post-7066656

Another one of my little tricks

•••
Sorry, I don't share how I do my outbound, there are a couple of unique things involved that I don't care to share on a public forum.

As far as pretending goes....
Read this
https://www.namepros.com/threads/what-will-you-do-with-21-views-within-1-hour.1119116/#post-7066656

Another one of my little tricks
You’re very creative with your tricks 👍 and I totally understand why you don’t want to share them.

Maybe you could just give some advice based on your past experience? If we forget about any tricks, what you think works best for outreach?

A) send emails from your marketplace domain email like a domainer OR
B) send emails from another domain (website unrelated to domains) and pretend you’re, say, webmaster, etc.

I did some outbounds in 2017 using option B. I didn’t have website with my domain portfolio back then, but it worked well.

In 2018-19 I did some outbounds too, and I failed to sell anything. This time, however, I used my marketplace domain email address and the domains in question were listed for sale (with and without the price). I guess, it was a mistake to list the domains everywhere during my outreach — potential buyers don’t see the opportunity is unique as they can buy the domain at any time (or maybe they think domain doesn’t sell and this is the reason I’m reaching out).

I’m about to make some outbounds again, and this time I haven’t listed the domains on other marketplaces at all. The domains are only listed on my marketplace with PUR or MakeOffer settings. I wonder whether this setup is OK or I should just park the domains at respective Registrars during my outbounds.

Any feedback is much appreciated 🙂

Last edited:
•••
If I was mean-spirited I might point out that tracking people who are making $20 offers is the definition of looking desperate for sales, to use your term.:-P

Anyway, @MapleDots, it is of course your business, and you have been highly successful in this, and other businesses, and continue to be. I have given my opinion, and still don't understand the logic of allowing $20 offers but refusing to acknowledge they were made with even a one phrase rejection email. But to each their own!

Best wishes in 2020 (hmmm is that coded this will be the year of the $20 offer? :xf.grin:).

Bob

Setting up a form and allowing lowballers fill the form with info and low offers is an easy way to set up a nice and big email / contact database. (provided it's on your own lander and not on GD)

This is a nice and impressive way for passive marketing...

•••
You’re very creative with your tricks 👍 and I totally understand why you don’t want to share them.

Maybe you could just give some advice based on your past experience? If we forget about any tricks, what you think works best for outreach?

A) send emails from your marketplace domain email like a domainer OR
B) send emails from another domain (website unrelated to domains) and pretend you’re, say, webmaster, etc.

I did some outbounds in 2017 using option B. I didn’t have website with my domain portfolio back then, but it worked well.

In 2018-19 I did some outbounds too, and I failed to sell anything. This time, however, I used my marketplace domain email address and the domains in question were listed for sale (with and without the price). I guess, it was a mistake to list the domains everywhere during my outreach — potential buyers don’t see the opportunity is unique as they can buy the domain at any time (or maybe they think domain doesn’t sell and this is the reason I’m reaching out).

I’m about to make some outbounds again, and this time I haven’t listed the domains on other marketplaces at all. The domains are only listed on my marketplace with PUR or MakeOffer settings. I wonder whether this setup is OK or I should just park the domains at respective Registrars during my outbounds.

Any feedback is much appreciated 🙂

If you want a bigger sale, and by big I don't mean huge. It can be anything over 1k then you have to establish a layer of trust. My above mentioned shenanigans aside I generally identify myself by first name at MapleDots. I have a direct email, telephone number, and a physical address attached to my outbound.

Nobody is going to give money to an anonamous email address, by showing my credentials they know they are doing business with a a real company. I also use an in house payment processor and don't require escrow, bank drafts or any of that stuff.

I hand pick my outbound, I traditionally do not do more than 3 in a day because they are so labor intensive. Mine are target and every single one of them is well researched.

Lastly

I always attach a bill of sale.

What?...... Yes you heard right

I attach a bill of sale which can be accepted to every outbound.
I know how much I want for the domain and I am looking to commit the client instead of starting a week long haggling campaign.

So potential client know who they are dealing with and the trust relationship starts from the very first contact.

That said, I have a few well thought out things I do with all the outbound and you have to remember the domain is highly targeted. That could be a full domain, a sub domain or even an email address.

Lots and lots of ways you can be creative, you would be surprised in how many ways outbound can be effective. I have one in particular that has an extremely good response rate.

•••
If you want a bigger sale, and by big I don't mean huge. It can be anything over 1k then you have to establish a layer of trust. My above mentioned shenanigans aside I generally identify myself by first name at MapleDots. I have a direct email, telephone number, and a physical address attached to my outbound.

Nobody is going to give money to an anonamous email address, by showing my credentials they know they are doing business with a a real company. I also use an in house payment processor and don't require escrow, bank drafts or any of that stuff.

I hand pick my outbound, I traditionally do not do more than 3 in a day because they are so labor intensive. Mine are target and every single one of them is well researched.

Lastly

I always attach a bill of sale.

What?...... Yes you heard right

I attach a bill of sale which can be accepted to every outbound.
I know how much I want for the domain and I am looking to commit the client instead of starting a week long haggling campaign.

So potential client know who they are dealing with and the trust relationship starts from the very first contact.

That said, I have a few well thought out things I do with all the outbound and you have to remember the domain is highly targeted. That could be a full domain, a sub domain or even an email address.

Lots and lots of ways you can be creative, you would be surprised in how many ways outbound can be effective. I have one in particular that has an extremely good response rate.
Thank you very much. I appreciate all the details that you’ve mentioned.

The only question remains is what lander to use for a domain in question, but I understand it depends on the outbound strategy (email content).

•••
Replying to every non-spam offer is a professional thing to do, plus it could lead to a sell.
Last year I had a $300 offer for Autonomous//Pharmacy//com reply and sold for $5000
I’ve had more than one experience of super low offers leading to big sell.

•••
Picture0001.png

Replying to every non-spam offer is a professional thing to do, plus it could lead to a sell.
Last year I had a $300 offer for Autonomous//Pharmacy//com reply and sold for $5000
I’ve had more than one experience of super low offers leading to big sell.

Ok, here is another one I just got

Even though I clearly state 1k is my minimum this clown decided to make an offer.

I'll guarantee he won't get a second of my time.

I'll tell you what, make a sale over 1k and I'll give you half :xf.laugh:

Last edited:
•••
Show attachment 140876

Ok, here is another one I just got

Even though I clearly state 1k is my minimum this clown decided to make an offer.

I'll guarantee he won't get a second of my time.

I'll tell you what, make a sale over 1k and I'll give you half :xf.laugh:
:ROFL:

•••
HAHA everyone wants to bash the "Old Timer" (meaning the successful ones) domainers - rather than discuss with.
The funny part is I used to do most of the things people are mentioning in the posts above

Let the thread go MapleDots, it;s a whole separate - although no less interesting - discussion.

Last edited:
•••
I think it is unwise publicly posting this @MapleDots. Are you really sure that the actual submitter is the company whose website you listed above? I suspect not. How would you feel if someone shared your company profile and email in a similar negative connotation if you had not in any way even submitted the offer. People play games online.

While some regard the European regulations as going overboard, there are principles within them about not sharing, or even holding, certain information, that are logical. I would personally urge the moderators to take down your post above.

Anyway, I agree with @DnameAgame - let this thread go and maybe set another with an appropriate title to discuss specific other good questions which have arisen within this thread. Like the dot subdomain idea is worthy of its own thread, as is the simple question of what should be minimum offer levels.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
MD, in your form above, is it possible to add the minimum offer accepted in the offer line so they see it again ie: (min offer is $1,000) and once they enter a number it would override it?

Or, is it your intention to see if they are paying attention to your terms? I like the way your customer inquiry is entered/delivered to you...much better than some of the marketplace(s) provided data formatting.

•••
Last edited:
•••
MD, in your form above, is it possible to add the minimum offer accepted in the offer line so they see it again ie: (min offer is $1,000) and once they enter a number it would override it?

That is how my form is set up, it will say $1000 min and when you enter your number it overrides it.
I could very easily set it so the $1000 has to be the minimum or the form will not submit but that has two distinct disadvantages....

1. With any offer regardless of how small it lets me know someone was looking at the domain and data is my friend.

2. Anyone from nigeria bidding $70 I know is a waste of time and I don't respond. If he had to submit for $1000 then I may actually have wasted time on him when in the end he would say the max he can afford is $100 or so.

•••
Anyway, I agree with @DnameAgame - let this thread go and maybe set another with an appropriate title to discuss specific other good questions which have arisen within this thread. Like the dot subdomain idea is worthy of its own thread, as is the simple question of what should be minimum offer levels.

You assume I want some of this published more than it already is :ROFL:

•••
Anyways guys....

Signing off on this topic, spent enough time here

Chow for now

•••
This is exactly how it goes down I have had same thing happen abuse for not taking low balls many times. Have a blew in namepros and wait for the fake offers also.

•••
Freaking Domainers bunch of Squatters...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back