Dynadot

discuss Hello Sir to You A-Hole in 10 emails or less

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
gettyimages-458810437 (1).jpg

I received an email inquiry on a nice two word .com and the initial offer was $75

Since I list a lot of my domains at godaddy with a $20 opening bid I am used to getting lowball offers and I have a policy to simply ignore them. The above mentioned email was no exception and I did not even think about it, I simply pressed delete.

Over the course of the next few days I received numerous inquiries from 3 different email addresses on the same domain. Each time the offer was under $100 with an inquiry of "How Much". I have an internal policy that I do not respond to offers under $1000 so I figured the guy would eventually get the point and up his offer. Well I was wrong, no higher offer came, but the emails continued. The first one started with sir and the last one called me an A-Hole.

The tone of the emails got more irate with each one. Having never conversed with the guy I was astonished at the time and effort put into the emails. He seemed to be having a conversation with himself telling me why he needed the domain, his history, and even how many kids he had. Yet he left out anything that could identify him or something that would indicate to me that he was a serious end user.

Anyways.... long story short, I just received another email with some very colorful language, not sure if that is supposed to intimidate me into responding or to give him his desired $75 sale.

PS. I make it very clear on my website that $1000 is the minimum bid on my domains so I don't really get where all the anger is coming from.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I make it very clear on my website that $1000 is the minimum bid on my domains so I don't really get where all the anger is coming from.
I may misunderstand, but if that is your policy, why accept $20 GoDaddy offers, or why have a form that allows a low bid to be sent by email (or was it truly to email, and if so, how do you know they even saw your web page statement?) I recently was providing input on a lander for someone and he had very nicely introduced the feature that if I try to enter say $20 it gives a message to please enter a reasonable offer, and only lets me send the form if the offer is x amount. That seems to me like an effective, and professional, way to do it.

Also, we err in assuming that people read even bolded text in things. I can assure you that is the case many times over :xf.smile:. I have 5 decades of experience of people ignoring bolded things, including highly successful people in the domaining industry. :xf.grin:

Why not simply use a phrase macro so you can press reply and one more key stroke that sends a polite email outlining your reply. They person was way out of line in calling you names, but a lot of people get upset by no response even when it is not justified.

Why not simply take 5 seconds send one polite reply? You never know, the person might win the lottery today and be OK with a much higher price tomorrow, and remember that he/she got that prompt professional email from you and comes back to really buy a domain name!

Bob

and @MapleDots are you ever going to reply to my email with the $20 offer on that domain name? :-P (<<joke in case not obvious)

Last edited:
•••
What Bob says seems a more logical and professional course. But for some ignoring with no replies seems such. Que sera, but you never know ‘who’ is the one inquiring if one doesn’t reply. To each his own.

•••
IMO this is on you for limiting the minimum offer to $1000.

How is this person supposed to know what a fair offer for the domain is (especially assuming he's not a domainer) if you give no expected price range and set the min offer to $20? He can't read your mind and know what you want if you don't make it clear in some way.

•••
I never understood sellers who list with a $20 minimum bid. If you would never consider $20, then increase the minimum to the $1000. I set my minimums at reasonable ranges so I don't get anything but fairly serious offers.

•••
I never understood sellers who list with a $20 minimum bid. If you would never consider $20, then increase the minimum to the $1000. I set my minimums at reasonable ranges so I don't get anything but fairly serious offers.

You can use godaddy as a tool....

Set all domains on bid and set the minimum at $20

Now track all inquiries you get and you will soon see the popularity of your domains.

ie... any domain that gets even one inquiry gets renewed where others are considered for the drop.

I know others will base their decision solely on traffic but I use offers as a decision maker to renew or drop a domain.

If I get an inquiry for 1k or more I respond and the others are automatically filtered and go into a gmail folder where I track my offers. I don't have to do anything, it's all automated, I simply type the domain name into search and it shows me how many offers or I log into godaddy to check.

It's a great tool for me and it shows me in real time how many people were actually considering a purchase as to just dead traffic.

•••
Also let me clarify that the above mentioned email did not originate via godaddy, it was a contact via my website where it is clearly indicated the offer has to be a 1k minimum.

•••
Why not simply take 5 seconds send one polite reply? You never know, the person might win the lottery today and be OK with a much higher price tomorrow, and remember that he/she got that prompt professional email from you and comes back to really buy a domain name!

I converse a lot with domainers behind the lines and have found sometimes you get higher offers when you don't seem over eager to sell. That is one of the reasons I took down all my logos and the elaborate website I had. Now it's a matter of the domain or nothing. I don't have to try and sell you my domain, if you are on my site you have already decided you are interested. Why should I look desperate to sell to anyone? If you like what you see, make an offer, I state my minimum and that is that. I do not owe a response to anyone making a lowball offer.

Mind you a 1k offer will always get a response, I might ask for more but you can be assured of a timely response.

•••
Whatever works for you I guess. But as a buyer and seller, I ignore godaddy listings with a $20 minimum. If it is a nice name with a $20 minimum, I assume it is a bad listing that the owner does not know about or a lazy seller.

•••
I do not owe a response to anyone making a lowball offer.
Agreed. Then why do you allow them to make one? You could readily set up a form so that the only way it can be submitted is with a minimum offer. And you can set GoDaddy offers far above $20 minimum readily. My domains are worth way less than yours and I have none of my minimum offers set that low on Afternic/GD. It just seems that you are giving mixed messages, to me at least.

Why should I look desperate to sell to anyone?
I think you are misinterpreting what I, and several others, are saying. Sending a short polite reply saying your minimum is $1000, or whatever, is not looking desperate. It is just being professional to respond.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Agreed. Then why do you allow them to make one? You could readily set up a form so that the only way it can be submitted is with a minimum offer. And you can set GoDaddy offers far above $20 minimum readily. My domains are worth way less than yours and I have none of my minimum offers set that low on Afternic/GD. It just seems that you are giving mixed messages, to me at least.
Bob

If I get you thinking about one of my domains then I have achieved my goal.

I also use my personal inquiries for tracking, by restricting my form I would not have known someone was interested in the domain.

I track inquiries over traffic, it works for me when I decide what to renew. It's probably been the best tool I've had.

•••
I also use my personal inquiries for tracking, by restricting my form I would not have known someone was interested in the domain.
If I was mean-spirited I might point out that tracking people who are making $20 offers is the definition of looking desperate for sales, to use your term.:-P

Anyway, @MapleDots, it is of course your business, and you have been highly successful in this, and other businesses, and continue to be. I have given my opinion, and still don't understand the logic of allowing $20 offers but refusing to acknowledge they were made with even a one phrase rejection email. But to each their own!

Best wishes in 2020 (hmmm is that coded this will be the year of the $20 offer? :xf.grin:).

Bob

Last edited:
•••
•••
You know what, you are not only wise, but also have a totally awesome nickname?

I can't understand $20 min offers either. 75 in response to 20 minimum – the inquirer has all reasons to believe he is in fact very generous, its 3.5 times more than the minimum after all!

However, this seems to be pretty popular among domainers – to keep their names with low minimum offers and then to complain about receiving low offers. A very recommended read >>> "Domain Name Minimum Offer Explained" <<< by Jamie Zoch.

•••
What do you expect? These people are NP members and RESELLERS.

•••
@Don Gondon LOL... thanks. I think minimum $20 invites people who like to play games. The LAST domain I made an offer on that had a minimum of $20 had the seller come back with $30,000.

•••
You know what, you are not only wise, but also have a totally awesome nickname?

I can't understand $20 min offers either. 75 in response to 20 minimum – the inquirer has all reasons to believe he is in fact very generous, its 3.5 times more than the minimum after all!

However, this seems to be pretty popular among domainers – to keep their names with low minimum offers and then to complain about receiving low offers. A very recommended read >>> "Domain Name Minimum Offer Explained" <<< by Jamie Zoch.

Because domainers, for some reason, think that everyone knows or should know market prices of all types of domains. I've even seen some claims as outrageous as ''we need to educate end users on domain values''.

Some domainers need to start respecting end users like real human beings and treat them that way. They aren't a cash cow just waiting to give all their money for some digital real estate.

•••
Well, to avoid similar "drama" I have set up 5k min offer to all of my domain names - this means I do not need to think about situation when someone sends me $20 offers. If I want to liquidate something for few bucks, I have Namepros auctions available for that purpose.

I do not want to sell my names for $20 so why even allow someone to submitt such amount? Sure, it is much less fun this way, but when someone contacts me, it is usually someone serious.

And no one ever has called me A-Hole in the entire time - it has probably to do with the professional and friendly style I reply when someone sends me an email or LinkedIn message.

Sometimes it is better to play less games with people - if they want our names, they will pay anyway :)

Just imho.

•••
If I was mean-spirited I might point out that tracking people who are making $20 offers is the definition of looking desperate for sales, to use your term.:-P

Bob, you need to go back and read all my responses.

It has nothing to do with looking desperate for sales, tracking is a necessity and the best tracking FOR ME is to see actual interest in the domain instead of just traffic.

The funny part is I used to do most of the things people are mentioning in the posts above but I found I spent far too much time conversing and not enough making actual sales. Now I don't converse, no small chat, no response like "it's my favorite domain". I simply respond to offers over 1k with a short polite response and a price, it's direct and to the point. It really has freed up a bunch of time I can now spend with my kids.

•••
I know many domainers dont even respond to low ball offers, but that is totally wrong in my opinion. It takes 30 seconds to write something like: "Thanks for your offer but no way I will sell for that amount, bye." With this kind of respond you did not reveal your asking price range so you can still ask for $xxx,xxx if you like, and you can still wait for the buyer to make the first serious move and open his cards. If you dont even respond you can bet that you will lose for good some of the buyers who at the end would maybe pay what you actually wanted.

These days I am chasing one domain. I know exactly who is the owner and his direct email address. I sent two inquiries so far asking for the price. No respond. I am ready to go up to mid $x,xxx, but want to get the domain for $xxx if possible as it has some terrible website under it and is used only as an additional domain for that business. I am 99.9% sure that this domain is not important to that business. No way I will offer mid $x,xxx without getting any reply from the owner. Moreover, I know that if my first offer will be mid $x,xxx, many sellers who would actually sell for that amount will then ask for $xx,xxx and there will be no deal in many cases. In my case, I plan to send one more email and if there will be no reply I will move on to some other domain.

To all sellers....respond to all offers, even with simple "no way", it takes less than 30 seconds and if you dont have 30 seconds available in your life then you have some serious time management problems ;)

Simple "no way" reply will show that you are there, that you get the inquiry and that you are looking for much better offer, so that way you will encourage the buyer to make more serious offer if he really likes your domain. It is normal that some buyers will try with low ball offers and if they are not really desperate for your domain and many of them will most likely disapper if they get no respond after 2-3 sent messages.

Last edited:
•••
I would have countered at $1500 for quick sale and see what he came back that way it opens the communication up. Even if he came back at $100 the communication would be there.

•••
I do not want to sell my names for $20 so why even allow someone to submitt such amount? Sure, it is much less fun this way, but when someone contacts me, it is usually someone serious.

Again guys... read my posts, it has nothing to do with selling for $20 as much as it does to track interest.
When I know people are interested in a domain it gives me an indication it should be renewed. Very little else needs to be done when the decision to renew gets made. The domain had interest, you renew.

You have made several posts (I think) asking us what we think you should renew or drop.
If you had actual data that showed interest you would be able to make those decision based on data instead of asking other people. At 5k minimum you are never really gauging interest and if you ever decide to drop a domain you cannot go back to everyone that inquired and offer it for a couple of hundred bucks because your minimum was set to 5k.

On the other hand if I decide to drop a domain I can shoot back an email to all my $20 offers and ask them if they want to pick it up for a couple hundred or so. I don't drop a lot but it does make for a good tool to have that information on hand.

That is why I don't restrict my form to 1k, I allow people to submit because the data is nice to have. I ask for 1k minimum but you can submit in any amount. (This also addresses @Bob Hawkes question)

Last edited:
•••
Bob, you need to go back and read all my responses.
My memory is poor :xf.frown: but I think I did. :xf.cool: I do understand that you find the analytics of how many offers you get, even the ones you ignore, as useful information, and that i why you allow low offers. If that is the case, and those folks are in fact helping out your domain operation, why not in a spirit of charity, offer those people the professional courtesy of a 10 second firm but polite response?

I was just trying to be humourous :xf.cool: (I always secretly wanted to do standup comedy, among other things, but that did not work out, which should tell me something :xf.wink:). Because you had also said that you did not want to look desperate for sales, so it seemed a good opportunity to push that back to you asking why you care about the $20 offer folks anyway if that is the case. Why track them.

Anyway, I was just trying to be funny, and if I offended you my sincere Canadian apologies. I certainly did not mean you are desperate. You are in fact the definition of a nondesperate (that is not even a word? :xf.sick:) domain investor! (y)

You have shown professionalism, courtesy and good humour here on NamePros(y). Just suggesting, why not share that with even the $20 offer folks?

Your point about saving time with family is serious and important. But if so, save even more, don't start and respond to threads like this one! Seriously.

Have a great day. And sorry if I said anything wrong. Man, I wish I owned the word sorry in .ca :xf.cool:.

Bob

•••
Again guys... read my posts, it has nothing to do with selling for $20 as much as it does to track interest.
When I know people are interested in a domain it gives me an indication it should be renewed. Very little else needs to be done when the decision to renew gets made. The domain had interest, you renew.

You have made several posts (I think) asking us what we think you should renew or drop.
If you had actual data that showed interest you would be able to make those decision based on data instead of asking other people. At 5k minimum you are never really gauging interest and if you ever decide to drop a domain you cannot go back to everyone that inquired and offer it for a couple of hundred bucks because your minimum was set to 5k.

On the other hand if I decide to drop a domain I can shoot back an email to all my $20 offers and ask them if they want to pick it up for a couple hundred or so. I don't drop a lot but it does make for a good tool to have that information on hand.

That is why I don't restrict my form to 1k, I allow people to submit because the data is nice to have. I ask for 1k minimum but you can submit in any amount. (This also addresses @Bob Hawkes question)
I get that. But the issue is that I do not have time to "track interest" based on $20 inquiries..and then offer it for couple of hundred of bucks to those who inquired in case I am done with that particular domain name.

I rather ask people here what they think I should drop (not that I listen to every opinion, as not all opinions are created equal, so to say, and I have myself some strong opinions, but even to a very stubborn person like me feedback from others is very important).

I think I am the only one here so far repeadly asking for this - all other members pretend they do not need to do so (and most of them are not making any money, let's admitt it) :)

(btw, I have discovered some very effective tool how to see if the domain name has some large end user appeal, using LinkedIn posts - but that is offtopic here, will write separate thread about it soon).

So back to the topic, I appreciate that you want to gather data, but if you want to have more time for non-domain topics, I would advise to put 5k min offer to all your domain names and be done with it. You have some amazing names you yourself acquired for 5k, so I do not see any sense to accept anything less then 5k as min :)

•••
No offence at all Bob, I am just trying to clarify (also for other members) that data is very important. Google built an empire on it.

As far as offering a response.... I used to do that but it engaged the person making the offer and in most cases gave them a false sense of entitlement to my domain. I much prefer not to respond and just harvest the data.

I know not everyone agrees but I'm not here to change anyone's mind :xf.smile:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back