IT.COM

discuss Have I been scammed?! Yes

NameSilo
Watch

David Bayode

Established Member
Impact
A few days ago I took advantage of the .co offers and registered a bunch of domains, all crypto related on Epik.

I took the liberty to Park on Epik and list on many websites, and then I did something I don't normally do but have seen people make successive sales on FB and listed to an FB group. Little did I know that would be my undoing.

This morning I saw some likes on my listing and a friend request from a Hui Woong, I checked his profile and see he sells consoles and have made some sales in his FB listing so I give him some credit.

He says he's interested in MineBTC.co and proceeds to ask for my price, feeling Bullish as his profile says he works "At Apple" I told him $2200, he says he can't send that but will be able to send $2000, I agree and tell him to pay through Epik.

And this is where I was very stupid, he says he lives in China and it would be difficult to pay as policies restrict paying to an account abroad, coming from a country that also has harsh restrictions on overseas payments I understand, he suggests paying in Bitcoin, fine I give him my legit Bitcoin address.

Seeing this he counters that he prefers I receive it through Kydaswap.xyz

That I will be able to create a contract with him where his btc will be locked till I send him the domain, I agree, push the domain on Epik, he receives, sends the so-called 0.11 btc.. I attempt to withdraw, I'm unable to, I tell him I'm being charged 0.05 btc to "verify" my account after already verifying, he says withdrawal is fast, I tell him it's insisting I pay before withdrawal, he throws a fit and blocks me.

This is entirely my fault admittedly and I don't know if I can get the domain back, the least I can do is warn others. I've already reported to the group.

@Rob Monster

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sorry about that mate...I hope you learnt from it

•••
@Rob Monster , all indications show they might want to use Epiks lander to scam people to their website, they've removed the make offer and left out the "contact owner" option on the domain.

•••
Same website is already reported various time here:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/bitcoin-escrow-scam.1201477/

They keep only changing the domain name but stays with .XYZ extension !

The few escrow services that exists are already knewn, I don't know why you are using suspecious websites like that one.

•••
Same website is already reported various time here:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/bitcoin-escrow-scam.1201477/

They keep only changing the domain name but stays with .XYZ extension !

The few escrow services that exists are already knewn, I don't know why you are using suspecious websites like that one.
Thanks, I pushed my domain to him so it's still locked with Epik, my main concern now is having it removed before it damages my credibility as the listings for the domain have started garnering up attention and recently the menu has changed to contact the domain owner only.

•••
This reflects badly on the xyz extention lol.
Sorry for what happened to you,,

•••
I am very thankful to everyone that took the time and concern to post, @Rob Monster I am especially thankful to you and your platform Epik for your help on getting my domain back to me, lesson learnt, Escrow first and foremost, 3rd party unknown escrow - never.

•••
I can't use AliPay in my country. Either way as I said coming from a country with harsh restrictions on transactions made me lower my guard @MapleDots
He is the one who will pay with Alipay. Epik pays you.

•••
do nnot know.where you had the wrong.impression that china.has.harsh retrstrction on payment.
just believe what you believe
FCB9B810-0155-48E0-9DED-2298B9458C4A.jpeg

Another example of Over Regulation China;
Facebook trying get in China for years failing
i dont even like Facebook 😊 Google gave up.

Cryptocurrency begs another question; it’s new
Just because China quickly changed stance...
Doesnt mean; trust them. Fintech is count em
we’re counting on them keep staying “accept” but this scam is believable. Lol
Sorry. They can quickly change minds and perception with continued accepted in China.

Last edited:
•••
AH, Ore, kini leleyi na?

This so so shocking. How could you have allowed this sort of mistake... a whole omo Naija? Egbami oo

There was a guy that shared he experience this months ago and how he too fell. Same tactics, same BTC and same China.

You don't do business on websites that are not well known and .XYZ is wildly used for fraud, right from inception.

Dude fed on your desperation to make a sale. How could you leave an environment that you know is well secured and enter into an unknown terrain?

DAMN!

•••
•••
AH, Ore, kini leleyi na?

This so so shocking. How could you have allowed this sort of mistake... a whole omo Naija? Egbami oo

There was a guy that shared he experience this months ago and how he too fell. Same tactics, same BTC and same China.

You don't do business on websites that are not well known and .XYZ is wildly used for fraud, right from inception.

Dude fed on your desperation to make a sale. How could you leave an environment that you know is well secured and enter into an unknown terrain?

DAMN!

The little digging I did turned up 44 reviews and up to 5 news articles on the site. It was when the foolish scammers wanted me to pay btc to retrieve money that everything clicked, else na legit way they used for their scam, they had a working support chat and the site is even https. Twas most likely a scamming syndicate. Omo naija fall halfway oh! Thank God na Epik I use and domain still dey 60 day lockdown.

•••
The little digging I did turned up 44 reviews and up to 5 news articles on the site. It was when the foolish scammers wanted me to pay btc to retrieve money that everything clicked, else na legit way they used for their scam, they had a working support chat and the site is even https. Twas most likely a scamming syndicate. Omo naija fall halfway oh! Thank God na Epik I use and domain still dey 60 day lockdown.

Link the reviews; most likely fake reviews.
i bet they own the site themselves:
you sure it was trustpilot? or Yelp.
Epik just launched TrustRatings to take on
TrustPilot #1 in “reviews”
low profile also; SiteJabber

Yours had somewhat sample size.

Last edited:
•••
•••
That guy is all over Facebook domain groups and gets vicious to people who refuse his scams. Facebook has too many scammers and shady guys but the mods don't care.

Screenshot 2020-12-06 at 14.07.30.png

Last edited:
•••
I can't use AliPay in my country. Either way as I said coming from a country with harsh restrictions on transactions made me lower my guard @MapleDots
Just wanted to make a quick note here - if the buyer were legit, and were to pay via AliPay to Epik - that does not mean you would receive your funds in AliPay.

Funds would be deposited to Masterbucks and you can then withdraw to a series of methods.

Best course of action here would be to start an Escrow Transaction / MP Listing.

If you have not done so yet, please reach out to [email protected] and we'll see what we can do to possibly recover your domain.

EDIT: Just saw that Rob has already helped you. Shame on me for not checking the 2nd page of the thread.

Last edited:
•••
Just wanted to make a quick note here - if the buyer were legit, and were to pay via AliPay to Epik - that does not mean you would receive your funds in AliPay.

Funds would be deposited to Masterbucks and you can then withdraw to a series of methods.

Best course of action here would be to start an Escrow Transaction / MP Listing.

If you have not done so yet, please reach out to [email protected] and we'll see what we can do to possibly recover your domain.

EDIT: Just saw that Rob has already helped you. Shame on me for not checking the 2nd page of the thread.
Thanks for the info, I did reach out to Epik through Rob himself and have thankfully gotten the domain back.

•••
Woah that was a double scam attempt, pathetic. At least you did not pay too.

•••
I have posted warnings about crypto scams free wallets free money watch it grow with user password even encouraged to watch the interest grow. Scammer will even suggest you put wages through again watching balance grow try withdraw wait 30 days try again look at balance growing daily but cannot withdraw.

•••
sorry about that. I think most domain investors are good at knowing scams. Because, domain knowledge does help in this regard. Still, we need to be cautious.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back