.tv Has .tv still potential value?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ricardo M

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,

I consider to buy a strong keyword .tv

The combination looks stunning and is regged with over 30 extensions but the reg fee is suddenly 530 dollar as it is recognized as a premium name by the registrar

In general i would like to know your .tv experience, sales or names that you hold with .tv extension so i can figure out if it is worth it to take the risk. I'm normally only with .com but i would like to take some risks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Guys, I'm 100% sure. I've bought and sold many "premium" .tv and if they'd have a premium renewal I'd know.
Only thing you must check if you buy a .tv regged before March 18th 2010

Premium .tv now means that name is originated from premium verisign list so can be transferred between this list of registrars (all the known except gd):

http://premium.watch.tv/registrars.html

dynadot, enom, hexonet, name.com, pheenix etc are all in

As i wrote in previous thread.

All .tv oustide ENOM have 100% normal renewal fee, $26-$35 depending on registrar
All .tv at all registrars, registered after 18-Mar-2010 have normal renewal fee

Donnied knows all this, just pasted for the others :)

•••
•••
Hi all,

I consider to buy a strong keyword .tv

The combination looks stunning and is regged with over 30 extensions but the reg fee is suddenly 530 dollar as it is recognized as a premium name by the registrar

In general i would like to know your .tv experience, sales or names that you hold with .tv extension so i can figure out if it is worth it to take the risk. I'm normally only with .com but i would like to take some risks.

My experience with .TV was with my client's registration of SEX.TV in year 2000, which turned out to be completely devoid of traffic, despite his having paid a great deal of money for the registration. The biggest problem with .TV names (at least at that time) was that the registration agreement didn't protect you from paying ever-higher yearly registration fees. In other words, Verisign could jack up the rent and scoop your profits if you started to make it big.

•••
BBC: In a surprise move, Amazon has bought video-game streaming service Twitch for $970m (£585m).
Earlier in the year, Google's YouTube had been reported to be in late-stage acquisition talks for a similar amount.
Founded in 2011, Twitch - formerly known as Twitch.tv - allows users to watch other people play video games.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28930781
Seems like dot-TV grew up.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Is there any considerable development in .tv extension?

•••
So I switched to keywordTV.com where I can renew three domains for less than the cost of one .TV.
I like keywordTV.com domains but they appear to be selling, recently, for less than one-third of what keyword.TV domains are going for. Go to NameBio and check out the sales of each over the past year. If you look at the top 25 sales you'll see that the total of the keyword.TV domains is about six times the total of the keywordTV.coms. And some of the top keywordTV.coms are 4-letter domains like butv.com and yatv.com which may have been purchased by short-domain investors. I suspect if you add up the top 50 or 100 of each the disparity will be a lot more.

The people who just paid $35,000 for Experience.tv passed on ExperienceTV.com, which can be bought for less than $3,400.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I like keywordTV.com domains but they appear to be selling, recently, for less than one-third of what keyword.TV domains are going for. Go to NameBio and check out the sales of each over the past year. If you look at the top 25 sales you'll see that the total of the keyword.TV domains is about six times the total of the keywordTV.coms. And some of the top keywordTV.coms are 4-letter domains like butv.com and yatv.com which may have been purchased by short-domain investors. I suspect if you add up the top 50 or 100 of each the disparity will be a lot more.

The people who just paid $35,000 for Experience.tv passed on ExperienceTV.com, which can be bought for less than $3,400.

I reckon that the owning a .com always be the number one of course. It is just convient. But i do believe in well developed .tv names as you can see with twitch.tv People just have to gain their comfort and trust within .tv extensions but surely it has potential. Marketing the name is the key and visitors will come.

•••
We do not understand why people follow us around with their dislikes.

We consider .tv extension as unadopted. There is very limited demand for it and it does not appear as an investable space. You might as well ask if .mobi is investable.

Short question finds short answer.

.tv to .mobi lol:) I don't follow you around, never heard of you, and really don't care what you think. I sold News.tv, a big massive sale, NDA. And when I feel like it I will sell Online.tv and P.tv for a big amount of money as well. So your take does not matter to me.

Last edited:
•••
Haters going to hate especially with jealously oozing from their pores that they missed getting in on the ground floor.

.TV isn't .COM yet remains incredibly attractive for the right combination of letters or words. Do not take my word for it, just look at this thread with more than 1,290 replies and over 130K views where the .TV enthusiasts collect and share their observations of .TV's adoption in the wild:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/dot-tv-sightings.265333/

It is an undeniable fact.

It is unfortunate that the .TV forum was burned down because threads like that which were stickied and helpful now just fall by the way side. It is such a huge waste of potential. I really wish they would bring it back.

In the meantime, a word from our sponsor...

•••
I sold MediaPro (dot) TV today at Sedo. The buyer was from Spain, so I'm fairly certain it was the media company that owns the .ES. It was listed at 2500€ BIN, so $2,908 USD.

It was a name I picked up at GoDaddy Auctions in 2010.

.TV still has value, at least in one-word and very short keyword combos. I wouldn't recommend that someone go register dozens upon dozens of .TV names on a whim, and they don't have the liquidity of .COM. But I still see .TV in use, both as brand protection and to house actual content. (Other past .TV sales of mine include Uplift.TV and Styling.TV).

Last edited:
•••
I sold Select.tv last year to a Turkish media co. for a nice sum.

•••

That is interesting. The group who owns selecttv.com passed up my select.tv at the time of their acquisitions. I guess I wanted too much :)

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back