.tv Has .tv still potential value?

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

Ricardo M

Established Member
Impact
492
Hi all,

I consider to buy a strong keyword .tv

The combination looks stunning and is regged with over 30 extensions but the reg fee is suddenly 530 dollar as it is recognized as a premium name by the registrar

In general i would like to know your .tv experience, sales or names that you hold with .tv extension so i can figure out if it is worth it to take the risk. I'm normally only with .com but i would like to take some risks.
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
I do not agree because he's mentioning a "fact" without knowing what he's talking about.
You can say "I'd never invest in .tv because I think price will go down". I don't agree but it's an opinion, respectable as mine.
This is not the case.
There's a lot of people on here who some think don't know what they're talking about, including me :xf.smile:
People don't usually jump on them with dislikes.
 
1
•••
There's a lot of people on here who some think don't know what they're talking about, including me :xf.smile:
People don't usually jump on them with dislikes.
There's nothing bad in not knowing, especially in domaining that is not science.
But if you come here and say "I'm not aware of any .tv sale for more than XXX" it's obvious that you'll get dislikes because you're talking about facts that you don't know in a way you shouldn't.
I repeat that it's different than saying "I don't think there will be any X.XXX .tv sale in the future".
 
5
•••
.TV is kind of like trying to open a restaurant or retail store in downtown West Palm Beach. A friend of ours wanted to open an Argentinean restaurant on a popular street with many other restaurants (ample competition but good traffic on weekends). They wanted $17k monthly for a small space that did not even have a seating area for customers. We see lots of restaurants and shops open and then six to twelve months later close. It is just too expensive. I recall one new burger place that opened we tried. Between my wife and I the bill came to around $35 - for two cheeseburgers (perhaps with mushrooms etc). Regardless, we never went back and less than a year later it closed. To pay the high rents, stores have to jack up prices. But customers are NOT willing to pay those higher prices. So many businesses in the area fail.

Ditto with .TV. .TV sounds really cool - particularly for a keyword that works with video content. But developers still have these $XX budgets for domain names. So when you try to jack up the price because you have a nice keyword and high renewals you end up with no sales. Lower the price to $XXX and you might get an occasional sale that doesn't cover renewals. So I switched to keywordTV.com where I can renew three domains for less than the cost of one .TV.
 
3
•••
Yet something remarkable happened this year : Hugedomains is interested in them.
.TV is catched now too by them (or their catcher, the biggest on).
 
2
•••
Last edited:
4
•••
IMG_0308.PNG



this is .tv sales data
 
3
•••
Has .tv still got potential? I believe so, yes, but I also think they need to be developed to see real potential.

Take bosh.tv for example. They have a million Facebook fans alone, and have created a brand.

Otherwise, I wouldn't look at the name twice.
 
1
•••
.tv is very hard to sell. Some years back I sold some for $xxxx and more, but they were premium names and very hard to sell, all proactive. I have a great hack too that I have received no offers for. With .tv I think you really have to be much more proactive with selling, passive never worked for me and .tv.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
We do not understand why people follow us around with their dislikes.

We consider .tv extension as unadopted. There is very limited demand for it and it does not appear as an investable space. You might as well ask if .mobi is investable.

Short question finds short answer.

Do you really want to understand? Would you reconsider what opinions your repeatedly voicing? Does every thread including cc discussion need it?
I would rather argue it is investible over investable.
 
0
•••
i have several 'premium'. tv domains but have standard renewal. It seems that even after the domains were dropped and re-registered, these domains are still called premium, premium renewal for the domain you are willing to buy is not necessary but i recommend contacting. tv registry and making sure


Premium .tv now means that name is originated from premium verisign list so can be transferred between this list of registrars (all the known except gd):

http://premium.watch.tv/registrars.html

dynadot, enom, hexonet, name.com, pheenix etc are all in



As i wrote in previous thread.

All .tv oustide ENOM have 100% normal renewal fee, $26-$35 depending on registrar
All .tv at all registrars, registered after 18-Mar-2010 have normal renewal fee
 
2
•••
Guys, I'm 100% sure. I've bought and sold many "premium" .tv and if they'd have a premium renewal I'd know.
Only thing you must check if you buy a .tv regged before March 18th 2010

Premium .tv now means that name is originated from premium verisign list so can be transferred between this list of registrars (all the known except gd):

http://premium.watch.tv/registrars.html

dynadot, enom, hexonet, name.com, pheenix etc are all in



As i wrote in previous thread.

All .tv oustide ENOM have 100% normal renewal fee, $26-$35 depending on registrar
All .tv at all registrars, registered after 18-Mar-2010 have normal renewal fee


Donnied knows all this, just pasted for the others :)
 
1
•••
1
•••
Hi all,

I consider to buy a strong keyword .tv

The combination looks stunning and is regged with over 30 extensions but the reg fee is suddenly 530 dollar as it is recognized as a premium name by the registrar

In general i would like to know your .tv experience, sales or names that you hold with .tv extension so i can figure out if it is worth it to take the risk. I'm normally only with .com but i would like to take some risks.

My experience with .TV was with my client's registration of SEX.TV in year 2000, which turned out to be completely devoid of traffic, despite his having paid a great deal of money for the registration. The biggest problem with .TV names (at least at that time) was that the registration agreement didn't protect you from paying ever-higher yearly registration fees. In other words, Verisign could jack up the rent and scoop your profits if you started to make it big.
 
0
•••
BBC: In a surprise move, Amazon has bought video-game streaming service Twitch for $970m (£585m).
Earlier in the year, Google's YouTube had been reported to be in late-stage acquisition talks for a similar amount.
Founded in 2011, Twitch - formerly known as Twitch.tv - allows users to watch other people play video games.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28930781
​
Seems like dot-TV grew up.
 
0
•••
0
•••
0
•••
0
•••
Is there any considerable development in .tv extension?
 
0
•••
So I switched to keywordTV.com where I can renew three domains for less than the cost of one .TV.
I like keywordTV.com domains but they appear to be selling, recently, for less than one-third of what keyword.TV domains are going for. Go to NameBio and check out the sales of each over the past year. If you look at the top 25 sales you'll see that the total of the keyword.TV domains is about six times the total of the keywordTV.coms. And some of the top keywordTV.coms are 4-letter domains like butv.com and yatv.com which may have been purchased by short-domain investors. I suspect if you add up the top 50 or 100 of each the disparity will be a lot more.

The people who just paid $35,000 for Experience.tv passed on ExperienceTV.com, which can be bought for less than $3,400.
 
Last edited:
1
•••
0
•••
CatchedCatched

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover

NamePros updates

More data. Your data. See what is new
Major update
We have made a number of features available to provide sellers more data for their domains and inquiries, and greater access to the data...
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back