.tv Has .tv still potential value?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ricardo M

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,

I consider to buy a strong keyword .tv

The combination looks stunning and is regged with over 30 extensions but the reg fee is suddenly 530 dollar as it is recognized as a premium name by the registrar

In general i would like to know your .tv experience, sales or names that you hold with .tv extension so i can figure out if it is worth it to take the risk. I'm normally only with .com but i would like to take some risks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Guys, I'm 100% sure. I've bought and sold many "premium" .tv and if they'd have a premium renewal I'd know.
Only thing you must check if you buy a .tv regged before March 18th 2010

•••
I have enough faith in Online Tv to have registered OTV in my local states car number plates (not in use) but just sitting there for when I want to whack em on my car

•••
While I still have a .TV portfolio I have dropped ~70^ of the .TV names I once held. .TV is not easy to sell and I would not really recommend .TV as a TLD to invest in.

We do not understand why people follow us around with their dislikes.

We consider .tv extension as unadopted. There is very limited demand for it and it does not appear as an investable space. You might as well ask if .mobi is investable.

Short question finds short answer.

Last edited:
•••

We consider .tv extension as unadopted. There is very limited demand for it and it does not appear as an investable space. You might as well ask if .mobi is investable.

"We think" ....Coming from someone who cherish's Donald Trump its a little hard to take you seriously

•••
•••
"We think" ....Coming from someone who cherish's Donald Trump its a little hard to take you seriously

You are being off point.

Last edited:
•••

Comparing .tv to .mobi is like comparing .com to .biz

•••
I haven't owned a dot tv since year after launch. unless i was buying digital.tv, web.tv, internet.tv i figured I missed out on premium dot tv.

•••

We disagree. We consider both extensions noninvestable and unadopted, despite limited reported sales.

•••
Those of who agree with that might want to use the ignore button to filter out any Borkers who help you end up broker - don't want to see another thread hijacked with wee contributions. .tv domains actually get used, .mobi do not.

•••
Those of who agree with that might want to use the ignore button to filter out any Borkers who help you end up broker - don't want to see another thread hijacked with wee contributions.

Are you invested in .tv?

•••
With any portfolio where parking earnings are insignificant, an investor is relying on X% of the portfolio to turn into sales at an average price of Y which will cover the renewals. Alt TLDs are more difficult to sell than .COM even when they are priced considerably lower than their .COM equivalents. The biggest challenge with .TV is the renewal cost. Yes, at least back in 2009 to 2010 it was much easier to acquire decent keywords than a .COM. However, $28-$30 renewals compared to $8.50 or so for a .COM make .TV investing like running on a treadmill. The occasional sale is consumed by renewals. I currently have a .TV sale in process if SEDO will get off their ^%$#! and process the escrow transaction. But the sale is not even worth reporting because it is only $XXX and is far less than what I have paid in renewals since the last time I sold a .TV domain (which was another $xxx sale not worth reporting).

•••
We are of the same opinion.

•••
We are not aware of any popular website based on .tv extension, so we find no value in it.
Why so many dislikes? Just because someone's made some comments that others don't agree with, they shouldn't then become the victim of a witch hunt. Isn't namePros a place for varying opinions?
DNB makes a valid point.

Last edited:
•••
Why so many dislikes? Just because someone's made some comments that others don't agree with, they shouldn't then become the victim of a witch hunt. Isn't namePros a place for varying opinions?
DNB makes a valid point.
I do not agree because he's mentioning a "fact" without knowing what he's talking about.
You can say "I'd never invest in .tv because I think price will go down". I don't agree but it's an opinion, respectable as mine.
This is not the case.

•••
I do not agree because he's mentioning a "fact" without knowing what he's talking about.
You can say "I'd never invest in .tv because I think price will go down". I don't agree but it's an opinion, respectable as mine.
This is not the case.
There's a lot of people on here who some think don't know what they're talking about, including me :xf.smile:
People don't usually jump on them with dislikes.

•••
There's a lot of people on here who some think don't know what they're talking about, including me :xf.smile:
People don't usually jump on them with dislikes.
There's nothing bad in not knowing, especially in domaining that is not science.
But if you come here and say "I'm not aware of any .tv sale for more than XXX" it's obvious that you'll get dislikes because you're talking about facts that you don't know in a way you shouldn't.
I repeat that it's different than saying "I don't think there will be any X.XXX .tv sale in the future".

•••
.TV is kind of like trying to open a restaurant or retail store in downtown West Palm Beach. A friend of ours wanted to open an Argentinean restaurant on a popular street with many other restaurants (ample competition but good traffic on weekends). They wanted $17k monthly for a small space that did not even have a seating area for customers. We see lots of restaurants and shops open and then six to twelve months later close. It is just too expensive. I recall one new burger place that opened we tried. Between my wife and I the bill came to around $35 - for two cheeseburgers (perhaps with mushrooms etc). Regardless, we never went back and less than a year later it closed. To pay the high rents, stores have to jack up prices. But customers are NOT willing to pay those higher prices. So many businesses in the area fail.

Ditto with .TV. .TV sounds really cool - particularly for a keyword that works with video content. But developers still have these $XX budgets for domain names. So when you try to jack up the price because you have a nice keyword and high renewals you end up with no sales. Lower the price to $XXX and you might get an occasional sale that doesn't cover renewals. So I switched to keywordTV.com where I can renew three domains for less than the cost of one .TV.

•••
Yet something remarkable happened this year : Hugedomains is interested in them.
.TV is catched now too by them (or their catcher, the biggest on).

•••
Last edited:
•••
IMG_0308.PNG

this is .tv sales data

•••
Has .tv still got potential? I believe so, yes, but I also think they need to be developed to see real potential.

Take bosh.tv for example. They have a million Facebook fans alone, and have created a brand.

Otherwise, I wouldn't look at the name twice.

•••
.tv is very hard to sell. Some years back I sold some for $xxxx and more, but they were premium names and very hard to sell, all proactive. I have a great hack too that I have received no offers for. With .tv I think you really have to be much more proactive with selling, passive never worked for me and .tv.

Last edited:
•••

Do you really want to understand? Would you reconsider what opinions your repeatedly voicing? Does every thread including cc discussion need it?
I would rather argue it is investible over investable.

•••
i have several 'premium'. tv domains but have standard renewal. It seems that even after the domains were dropped and re-registered, these domains are still called premium, premium renewal for the domain you are willing to buy is not necessary but i recommend contacting. tv registry and making sure

Premium .tv now means that name is originated from premium verisign list so can be transferred between this list of registrars (all the known except gd):

http://premium.watch.tv/registrars.html

dynadot, enom, hexonet, name.com, pheenix etc are all in

As i wrote in previous thread.

All .tv oustide ENOM have 100% normal renewal fee, $26-$35 depending on registrar
All .tv at all registrars, registered after 18-Mar-2010 have normal renewal fee

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back