Domain Empire

discuss Has anyone here ever actually sold a .cc domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

eno_sells_sites

Established Member
Impact
Every day, we see expired .cc domains topping the GoDaddy Auctions with massive bids.

I see that there are a few "make offer" .cc domains with a lot of bids, but it seems that the majority of cash is flowing toward the expiring domains. I don't often see .cc domains gaining sales traction outside of GoDaddy Auctions, either.

I wanted to ask if anyone here has ever actually sold a .cc domain on their own? If so, where/how (e.g. GoDaddy Auctions or somewhere else)? I don't really have many in my own portfolio and I'm not looking to change that, but I'm really curious to understand the mechanics behind .cc sales since the patterns are so different from other TLDs.

I'm always wondering who's buying up these 3-number domains and why lol.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"who's buying" - China

----
" anyone here has ever actually sold a .cc domain on their own?"
---
Yep, there are sales, check namebio or here are some:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/183-cc-sold-for-40-250-on-godaddy-what-am-i-missing-here.1299326
883.cc$55,500GoDaddy
954.cc Sold for $26,000https://www.namepros.com/threads/883-cc-sold-for-55-500-hopesandfears-com-for-26-800.1301889

near 99% of my domains are .com, but I know @Dot.us and more people here have .cc and are selling them, just check around.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/report-completed-domain-name-sales-here.83628/post-8846072

Last edited:
•••
Every day, we see expired .cc domains topping the GoDaddy Auctions with massive bids.

I see that there are a few "make offer" .cc domains with a lot of bids, but it seems that the majority of cash is flowing toward the expiring domains. I don't often see .cc domains gaining sales traction outside of GoDaddy Auctions, either.

I wanted to ask if anyone here has ever actually sold a .cc domain on their own? If so, where/how (e.g. GoDaddy Auctions or somewhere else)? I don't really have many in my own portfolio and I'm not looking to change that, but I'm really curious to understand the mechanics behind .cc sales since the patterns are so different from other TLDs.

Yes . I am one of who sold .cc
Until now i sold in total of 3000 USD start from October last year
2 was via Uniregistry ( when was live ) & 1 via Afternic + few private here
IMO it's a very good ccTLD & can be made money | Now i have some gems like Nexus , Iris , Horeca , Emergency...😋

NNN - who buying? - Chinese

Cheers

Last edited:
•••
Wondering that too
I got saddle .cc and plunge .cc
Few visits , nothing more

•••
I’ve sold 4 within last 6 or 7 months.

Three were one word names (I don’t know numerics well enough to handle those), and one a last name.

I sold 3 at Dan and 1 at Dynadot marketplace.
Most of my landers point to Dan for my .cc.

Two buyer were US, 1 from Europe,1 don’t know.

Two of names are for cycling, don’t know plans for others. One developed, one coming soon.

All sales are reported on NameBio under name MemoeableCC I use for .cc. Two sales were $$$$ and two $$$. Two were BIN and two were negotiated. All were inbound, I do no outbound.

I have been growing my .cc for past 3+ yr, now have about 300.
Most acquired via drops, but some auction or wholesale acquisition.

-Bob

Last edited:
•••
Two of names are for cycling, don’t know plans for others. One developed, one coming soon.

-Bob
Because CC can be & used for Cycling Couture . Is not mention on Verisign as possible use but a big company in cycling field use a .cc domain as main

vcc.png

Last edited:
•••
I sold these names and more...

Marijuana.cc
Democrat.cc
9K.cc
P2.cc
P6.cc
P9.cc
antivirussoftware.cc
carsearch.cc
computersoftware.cc
discountcomputer.cc
houseplant.cc
subscription.cc
appliance.cc
merchants.cc
educational.cc
carsearch.cc

•••
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Very interesting to know that some are having success with .cc outside of GoDaddy Auctions. Good luck with your investments!

•••
It is a little while ago now, but I did an analysis of the .cc extension for the NamePros Blog. It included a breakdown of how different types of names sold, at least as recorded on NameBio.

https://www.namepros.com/blog/a-close-look-at-the-cc-domain-extension.1228752/

It seems to me that numeric at least .cc have got renewed interest and higher prices over the past year, but I have not run the numbers in a detailed way. When I do the first half of 2023 analysis .cc is one, of many, TLDs I will show a comparison for.

-Bob

•••
That's great, thanks for sharing Bob. Interesting to see that there appeared to be a slight upward trend in sales volume from 2018-2020 when you performed your analysis, would be curious to see how that's continued. Seems that even back then, the three to four letter/number .cc domains were selling like hotcakes.

I'll keep an eye out for your 2023 analysis!

•••
Because CC can be & used for Cycling Couture . Is not mention on Verisign as possible use but a big company in cycling field use a .cc domain as main

Hopefully people will eventually be interested in some of the .cc Geo domains I have since I have a ton of them, Lol. :)

Many countries, States, Provinces, major Cities, etc.

Could use many of the .cc ways to use a .cc listed above for websites that want local clubs or companies.

•••

I sold several .cc domains over the past several years Property, Fire, being two of them. I currently have over 100 .cc domains.

•••

Three were one word names (I don’t know numerics well enough to handle those), and one a last name.

All sales are reported on NameBio under name MemoeableCC I use for .cc. Two sales were $$$$ and two $$$. Two were BIN and two were negotiated. All were inbound, I do no outbound.

-Bob

Many thanks @Bob Hawkes

When picking up .CC, would you go for the Dynadot 10-year reg? Obviously it will bring down the hold cost significantly in the long run.

•••
🤯 The sales dynamics for .cc domains are interesting to say the least. There's always something to learn and discover.

👀 Looking forward to seeing how things pan out with 88-8.cc; and for others holding .cc domains in their portfolio.

Last edited:
•••
Many thanks @Bob Hawkes

When picking up .CC, would you go for the Dynadot 10-year reg? Obviously it will bring down the hold cost significantly in the long run.
Ideally that makes logical sense, and I always register .cc at Dynadot because of the multi-year deal. But I only spend what I make from domain names, so always the pressure of covering various needs.

In practice, I never register .cc personally for full 10 years. That said, I never register for less than 2 years in .cc, thinking if I don't like it that much I should not take it. Most .cc I register for 3 years, reasoning that it is a good length of time to find a buyer, and if none pick up name by then, perhaps move on to other names. I have a few at 6. At my age, 10 years seems like a long time.

Anyway, just my personal strategy. I do wish I had taken some for a few more years while I could have at such a reasonable rate.

-Bob

•••
:xf.wink: I am sure you will have many years to come in the domaining world.

Going back to .CC, it is pleasing to the eyes (aside from .com .net .org). However, it seemed that the marketability is still low at this stage. Do you personally foresee that it would still take some time to thrive?

Cheers.

•••
I now have only 2 domains

Rupee.cc
Purse.cc

Others which I had I dropped. The above have some traffic & views so I think it may sell soon. Others I had did not have any views or traffic so I dropped them. All were mostly one word domains like these.

•••
It is a little while ago now, but I did an analysis of the .cc extension for the NamePros Blog. It included a breakdown of how different types of names sold, at least as recorded on NameBio.

https://www.namepros.com/blog/a-close-look-at-the-cc-domain-extension.1228752/

It seems to me that numeric at least .cc have got renewed interest and higher prices over the past year, but I have not run the numbers in a detailed way. When I do the first half of 2023 analysis .cc is one, of many, TLDs I will show a comparison for.

-Bob

Very informative article. Lots of thoughts to take home.

By the way, is it possible to find out the oldest domain registered in . CC? (like symbolics in DOT COM / nordu in DOT NET)

Thanks Bob!

•••

-Bob
How long time you hold them untill sold?

•••
How long time you hold them untill sold?
A few of my .cc I acquired several years ago, but most within the past 18 months.

Two of the four sold were acquired within months before selling, one other was within the first year of ownership, and the other was one of my longer .cc holds, about 3 years (although name itself older than that).

Almost all my .cc were obtained after expirations, using ExpiredDomains to find, so others had held them previously.

The 3 year hold name I had bought on NameLiquidate, and I have maybe 15 purchased that way, or in other ways from investors, with older official ages than time I personally have held them.

-Bob

Last edited:
•••
I sold these names and more...

Marijuana.cc
Democrat.cc
9K.cc
P2.cc
P6.cc
P9.cc
antivirussoftware.cc
carsearch.cc
computersoftware.cc
discountcomputer.cc
houseplant.cc
subscription.cc
appliance.cc
merchants.cc
educational.cc
carsearch.cc
Did you check DA PA and spam score before buying for just go by the name ??

•••
By the way, is it possible to find out the oldest domain registered in . CC? (like symbolics in DOT COM / nordu in DOT NET)
Probably someone more technical than me can find out, but I don’t know. Many of the single character names have Whois creation dates in 1997, the year eNic were assigned to administer the TLD. I also checked some 3L common words that also were 1997. But I don’t know the oldest.
-Bob

•••
I sold I think 1 about 20 years ago out of 20 I registered, dropped the others

•••
Interesting thread thanks for the info! I've never really bothered with .cc domains but had a punt on "Funky.cc" at auction and managed to bag it. No sure about pricing on these though. I was thinking maybe around $1,500

Ideas anyone?

•••
I realize I did not respond to this question, now from some time ago:
Do you personally foresee that it would still take some time to thrive?

I am not sure that I am convinced that .cc will ever truly thrive in the way that .xyz did for a few years and .ai has the last year, and .io over a longer period earlier, etc.

It might, but I did not so much enter it because I saw any big surge of sales (true numeric .cc have had a strong 12 months). Rather the following was my quest.

I wanted an extension where I could get high quality single words without huge acquisition or holding costs. That really rules out most extensions. of the 1300 or so TLDs, there are very few that meet that criterion.

I also was only looking at TLDs that were either generic in terms of Google search consideration, or if new gTLDs were a generic ending that could be applied to many sectors.

From those two considerations alone, there are very few possibilities. I also wanted to have confidence that the registry that administered it, and any potential political problems with a country code, were both positive situations.

I preferred something that had significant sales already, even if not in the kind of domain I was going to invest in. So the long history of high-value numerics I took into consideration, even though I have no plans to do numerics personally.

Finally, I looked at the inherent nature. I like country codes at 2 character. I also like a lot that .cc could mean a ton of different things, an is not unidimensional like .ai or .gg, for example.

I honestly don't think we are likely to have an era when a lot of startups will go looking specifically for .cc. Rather, I think some who are really keen on a particular word, might choose .cc as an affordable option. Therefore one of my main considerations, after business use desireability, is that the .com and .io in particular are totally unavailable or priced in the stratosphere.

Just my personal thoughts. I kicked myself that I did not keep .xyz from the era a few years ago before the registry started reserving premiums again and they got hot on wholesale. Hats off to @DNGear for seeing the opportunity, sticking with it, asking strong prices, and being super smart recognizing that the main demand would be for brandable terms, and not mainly product/service matches.

-Bob

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back